Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Onalaske Tourism Commission

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    326

    Onalaske Tourism Commission

    I've been planning our vactaion, [ long over due, been Five Years ] an we always whated too run the Great River Road [hwy 35 ] along the Mississippi.

    We decided to use Onalake as our starting point. Soo as I was typeing up an e-mail to Onalaske Tourism Commission requesting information, I had this though, What kind of respondes would I get if I phase it like ths?

    Will be visiting the last week in Sept, an First Week in Oct, I also need
    info on the Mississippi Road.. The Wife an I plan on Driving up an down the
    Road as Well..I also need a List of Stores, You might have, That will NOT
    Allow Open Carry in Them,So I can Avoided an Not spend my Time & Money in
    Them.


    An this was the Responds I got back..
    Gary,

    I checked into the Open Carry laws for you. The Onalaska police department
    let me know that you cannot carry in schools, government buildings, bars
    with alcohol, banks and anywhere posted on local businesses. We are unaware
    of specific businesses that do/don't allow this. If you have further
    questions please feel free to check with the Onalaska Police Department at
    608-781-9550. For the other information you've requested, I will get that
    out as soon as possible for you! Thank you.

    Ashley Oldenburg
    Center for Commerce and Tourism
    1101 Main Street
    Onalaska, WI 54650
    Phone: 608-781-9570
    Fax: 608-781-9572
    www.discoveronalaska.com

    I can live with this answer..

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by range rat View Post
    I've been planning our vactaion, [ long over due, been Five Years ] an we always whated too run the Great River Road [hwy 35 ] along the Mississippi.

    We decided to use Onalake as our starting point. Soo as I was typeing up an e-mail to Onalaske Tourism Commission requesting information, I had this though, What kind of respondes would I get if I phase it like ths?

    Will be visiting the last week in Sept, an First Week in Oct, I also need
    info on the Mississippi Road.. The Wife an I plan on Driving up an down the
    Road as Well..I also need a List of Stores, You might have, That will NOT
    Allow Open Carry in Them,So I can Avoided an Not spend my Time & Money in
    Them.


    An this was the Responds I got back..
    Gary,

    I checked into the Open Carry laws for you. The Onalaska police department
    let me know that you cannot carry in schools, government buildings, bars
    with alcohol, banks and anywhere posted on local businesses. We are unaware
    of specific businesses that do/don't allow this. If you have further
    questions please feel free to check with the Onalaska Police Department at
    608-781-9550. For the other information you've requested, I will get that
    out as soon as possible for you! Thank you.

    Ashley Oldenburg
    Center for Commerce and Tourism
    1101 Main Street
    Onalaska, WI 54650
    Phone: 608-781-9570
    Fax: 608-781-9572
    www.discoveronalaska.com

    I can live with this answer..
    Onalaska incorrect on the "Bar With alcohol" statement. They should have stated: Unable to carry in: ( Bars that server alcohol with out permission).

    Come on Onalaska get the correct information out to the public......

    JJC

  3. #3
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Onalaska aint a bad place to start your run down 35 from but
    I think the scenery is a little better if ya started at Hwy 8 and worked from there.
    Also dont forget Hwy 60 west of Madison where it runs along the Wisconsin River.

    My dad and I ran that route with the bikes a number of years back.
    Startin from the 3rd week of Oct thru the second week of November.

    We shot 60 west and hit it the Wisconsin River stretch as the sun was setting,
    with all the fall colors,sunset and all the twisties. It was breath taking....and still t shirt weather when we left Milwaukee.

    Next day we ran 35 N outta Prairie Du Chien...and it turned cold and rained or snowed the rest of the trip.

    Come to think of it...that was the last bike I run with out a fairing.
    Aint the least bit sorry I went from a rubber mount ( 82 FXR ) to a solid mount dresser ( '79 FLH 80 ).

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  4. #4
    Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mauston wi
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    Onalaska incorrect on the "Bar With alcohol" statement. They should have stated: Unable to carry in: ( Bars that server alcohol with out permission).

    Come on Onalaska get the correct information out to the public......

    JJC
    isnt the bank comment incorrect as well ???????
    SCOTT

    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

    "When seconds count police are minutes away"

    "Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

    http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

  5. #5
    Regular Member Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    isnt the bank comment incorrect as well ???????
    You are correct about the incorrection.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    I too would like to see the statute they think it is illegal for banks. Personally, I'd just carry anyway and not waste my time talking with them.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  7. #7
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Canard View Post
    You are correct about the incorrection.
    I second the incorrection correction...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    286
    Yes, we are allowed to carry in a bank as well. I carried a bank in Onalaska without issues. I'm not sure where Onalaska got their information. Perhaps they got their info from the Madison LEO chief. At least that would explain the misinformation.

    JJC

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Seems to me anyone that has frequented this forum and actually read the relevant statutes have all the information they need to determine how, where, and when they can legally carry. It's a good bet that the tourism board, chamber of commerce, business owners, and most police departments do not know the law as well as OCDO forum members.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  10. #10
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    Seems to me anyone that has frequented this forum and actually read the relevant statutes have all the information they need to determine how, where, and when they can legally carry. It's a good bet that the tourism board, chamber of commerce, business owners, and most police departments do not know the law as well as OCDO forum members.
    Perhaps the local PDs' in the State should pay some of us for "Open Carry Class"?
    We could have members go shop to shop educating them about the laws that they were sworn to protect... We should charge for the service...

  11. #11
    Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mauston wi
    Posts
    849
    $75.00 per officer or $750.00 per department whichever is more
    SCOTT

    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

    "When seconds count police are minutes away"

    "Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

    http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    I wouldn't feel right charging money to teach something one could learn on their own for free.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    252
    When someone gets something for free, it has no real value to them.

    If they pay for it, then they will value it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •