• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not OC related but gun related

bwhunter65

My friend just brought in today paper called the Daily Report it comes out of Dunn. Anyways on pg 10 the Harnett County Sheriff puts out all the names of people who apply for concealed permits. Don't know how you guy's feel about this but I think its no one's business. I OC so I really dont care if some knows I have a gun but it no ones business if I apply for one.

M

mattwestm

Although I believe that the information is public record, it still shouldn't be posted. Someone might recognize a name and realize that they could potentially have a new gun if they were to break in that persons house or car. What purpose does posting this information serve? It's no different than posting a list of people who have drivers licenses.

rotorhead

Technically it's a matter of public record. However, I feel it's in poor taste to post it like that. It could easily be misinterpreted as a criminal posting, which I have a feeling is sort of the idea in the first place.

But, then again, all county records are usually posted in similar fashion such as arrests, police activity, divorce and civil cases heard, and notices of foreclosure. Although I feel most of these being printed are in poor taste, there's not a whole lot we can do to stop it.

I would prefer that county business be available for anyone who requests it, but not posted publicly.

Spearhead

Does he also publish a list of county residents who apply for a drivers license????:mad:

But, then again, all county records are usually posted in similar fashion such as arrests, police activity, divorce and civil cases heard, and notices of foreclosure.
This is nohow similar. Such public record is important in case a member of the public has an INTEREST in the case, such as foreclosures, estate settlements, divorce outcome, etc. For instance, notice of death is published so that if you owe money to the estate of the deceased or if the estate of the deceased person owes you money, it can be settled.
Whether or not a citizen has a gun permit is no one elses business. What he is doing amounts to nothing more than gossip.

I'd bet if the gun permit list people started getting phone calls "Hey, the sheriff told me you applied for a gun permit!" the practice would stop, and fast.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Does he also publish a list of county residents who apply for a drivers license????:mad:

This is nohow similar. Such public record is important in case a member of the public has an INTEREST in the case, such as foreclosures, estate settlements, divorce outcome, etc. For instance, notice of death is published so that if you owe money to the estate of the deceased or if the estate of the deceased person owes you money, it can be settled.
Whether or not a citizen has a gun permit is no one elses business. What he is doing amounts to nothing more than gossip.

I'd bet if the gun permit list people started getting phone calls "Hey, the sheriff told me you applied for a gun permit!" the practice would stop, and fast.

It's similar in the factual sense. I didn't go into the "whys" on purpose. My intention was just to show that they practice of posting county business isn't unusual.

Personally, I do not agree that everything should have public notices for the very reasons that you mention. This sheriff is using the practice as a means of intimidation, IMO, but justifying it under the pretense that posting county business is not unusual. There is no public interest in posting the names related to permits that have been applied for, approved, and/or issued that I could think of as appropriate.

The only way I could sort of see it is if a felon attempted to get a permit and was busted for it. But that would be in the criminal log anyway.