Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form Letter to national gun groups aking for help with CADL case

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Form Letter to national gun groups aking for help with CADL case

Below is a form letter approved by MOC, Inc and their counsel for members of national firearms groups to send to their leadership asking for their support in the CADL vs MOC, Inc. case

We are asking you all to send this letter to you national representatives. NRA, GOA, JPGO, 2A Foundation, etc. are all groups that could help this fight.

(The Q, Esq-Stu and I worked on the letter.)

NRA contact form https://www.nrahq.org/contact.asp

GOA contact form http://gunowners.net/cgi-bin/ttx.cgi?cmd=newticket

Jews for the Preservation of gun ownership (JPGO) jpfo@jpfo.org</SPAN></SPAN>

2nd Amendment Foundation http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=contact

Dear Leadership of <Insert the name of your rights group here>,

I am writing you to inform you about recent events threatening firearms rights in Michigan. As you may know, Michigan law preempts firearms regulations by local government. Recently, the Capitol Area District Library in the Lansing area banned firearms possession in its facilities claiming the Library can do so because it is an “authority” and not a local government.

A judge in the 30th Circuit Court for Ingham County, Michigan has issued a Preliminary Injunction authorizing the Library's gun ban and enjoining ALL MEMBERS OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC from openly carrying a holstered firearm in this public library, subject to the court's contempt powers. The Library's director has stated under oath that his goal is to BAN all firearms from the Library (open and concealed carry). The Library is also asking the judge to declare all public libraries as K-12 schools so that under Michigan and federal law they will become gun free zones.

This Court case has chilling implications for the Right to Keep and Bear arms in Michigan. Preemption could collapse as cities around the State create authorities that can ban firearms (Sidewalk Authorities, Park Authorities, City Building Authorities, Downtown Development Authorities, etc.). All public libraries in Michigan could become weapon-free school zones if the Court sides with the Library.

The case is still in the Circuit Court and the discovery process under way through early June 2011. I feel it is likely the case will not be resolved in the Circuit Court as the judge has made her feelings about the issue well known. Legal costs are mounting and may soon become very large. As a member of this organization I IMPLORE you to support Michigan Open Carry, Inc. and the others who have joined the fight to protect our Liberties!

To find out how <insert the Organization's name> can help, please contact the lead attorneys on the case:

DEAN G. GREENBLATT, PLC
    4190 Telegraph Road
    Suite 3500
    P.O.Box 40
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303
    (248) 644-7520

STUART J. WEISS
    6646 Tamerlane Dr.
    West Bloomfield, MI 48322
    (248) 390-8850

Most urgently, in the name of Liberty,

<Your Name>
    <Your Identification Number within the organization>
    Last edited by Venator; 03-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    thanks ven, consider it done

...not a member of any of these organizations, but i sent it anyway. i edited it accordingly.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 03-10-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Michigan's Libertarian Party reps would also be worthy of contacting, since the LP is as a rule unrelentingly pro gun.

http://www.lp.org/leadership

Andrew.Wolf@lp.org

http://www.lp.org/leadership

The Herritage Foundation may willing to help as well, since they seem to have quite a strict belief in constitutional adherence, and they are generally known to be pro gun. I'm not sure who would need to be contacted though.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

first response

response from GOA already, and NOT a form letter. i may have to join, they seem to have their stuff together.

NRA/ILA contacted as EPL Life Member

It seems to me that a letter to the governor would be good also. The main point being the wasting of state funds to to attempt to take away constitutional rights. Afterall he is trying to cut wasteful spending.
    Last edited by maustin195; 03-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Banned
    Good point.

I sent this out to the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    response from GOA already, and NOT a form letter. i may have to join, they seem to have their stuff together.
    It's the only national gun rights org I belong to. They are no BS and Larry Pratt is a nice guy and does support OC and has even done so. They don't send a million mailings and take on the smaller fights the NRA is not willing to do.

I contacted him via his personal email as well.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I wrote my state rep from the area and modified the letter just to inform and asked for his support, I have wrote him several times on other issues but got no response from him on anything and don't expect to hear from him on this matter either. He is new in the capitol and unless he starts to step up to the plate will not get my support in the next election

he is

Dale Zorn from Monroe
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    It's the only national gun rights org I belong to. They are no BS and Larry Pratt is a nice guy and does support OC and has even done so. They don't send a million mailings and take on the smaller fights the NRA is not willing to do.

i'm "friends" with him on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    I wrote my state rep from the area and modified the letter just to inform and asked for his support, I have wrote him several times on other issues but got no response from him on anything and don't expect to hear from him on this matter either. He is new in the capitol and unless he starts to step up to the plate will not get my support in the next election

he is

Dale Zorn from Monroe
    Don't forget State Senate Leader Randy Richardville

Sent copy to both of my state reps and also to the nra

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Don't forget State Senate Leader Randy Richardville
    yep forgot!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post

I'm going to the GOA website to start my membership, after I post this.

What's good enough for Brian MUST be good for gun-rights!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

How's about headed over to MOC's page right after that! It's renewal time!

I did it. Excerpt from my confirmation email:

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
    Annual Membership M020 1 $20.00

Thank you for your support;
    Gun Owners of America
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I tried to do that a couple of nights ago. I saw the link for new joiners, but didn't see how to renew. I'll go over there and look again!

Quote Originally Posted by DanM
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623
    I tried to do that a couple of nights ago. I saw the link for new joiners, but didn't see how to renew. I'll go over there and look again!
    Ok, Rob. I think I figured it out. I definitely made a payment at the website, anyway!

So true!

Sent to NRA-ILA.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Thumbs up

Sent mine to the NRA Legal Defense Fund,email address nracrdf@nrahq.org .
    As a Life member I requested their help.They have a protocol in submitting
    to them,but I just sent them the letter in my name,with my member #!
    Also to GOA,as a supporter(don't know if I'm still a member).
    Dean might still have the NRACRLDF forms I got when we worked on my
    case in the beginning. GOD BLESS! CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

i got a nice reply from JPGO. stated they were already aware of the issue. however, they have no legal department for assistance to other groups. they also stated they would still forward the message to appropriate parties.

Best NATIONAL organization I ever joined... even though they let ME be a member
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

response from larry pratt (GOA)

Hi Daniel,

Below is an answer to your question by one of our activists in MI.

Larry

Hi Larry,

In response, this is a small bit of what I have been able toperuse so far with more to come. Let me know your thoughts but this should be sufficive.

Furhtermore, an attempt to do what they stated below, about making the libraries "authorities", would be fraud (I.E. misappropriating taxpayer dollars). Communitiy libraries would at a minimum, be forced the abandon their status of having been "chartered" and would need total reauthorization to be re-established and restructured.

Libraries fall under state authorization before they can become a library.

Your thoughts?

Paul

This case involved a local library’s ban on firearms. The court decided that the library could not ban firearms as they were a part of a local government. Below are some excerpts from the decision.

THE MICHIGAN COURT OF APPEALS CONCLUDED:
    April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

Hi Daniel,

Below is an answer to your question by one of our activists in MI.

Larry

Hi Larry,

In response, this is a small bit of what I have been able toperuse so far with more to come. Let me know your thoughts but this should be sufficive.

Furhtermore, an attempt to do what they stated below, about making the libraries "authorities", would be fraud (I.E. misappropriating taxpayer dollars). Communitiy libraries would at a minimum, be forced the abandon their status of having been "chartered" and would need total reauthorization to be re-established and restructured.

Libraries fall under state authorization before they can become a library.

Your thoughts?

Paul

This case involved a local library’s ban on firearms. The court decided that the library could not ban firearms as they were a part of a local government. Below are some excerpts from the decision.

THE MICHIGAN COURT OF APPEALS CONCLUDED:
    April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.
    I know Paul and Larry. Paul sounds like he doesn't know what is going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast