• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a conversation with judge Brian Wimes, Jackson County circuit judge, about OC.

ChiangShih

Brian Wimes, a Jackson County circuit court judge in Division 18, came into my criminal law class as a guest speaker. So, I took the opportunity to approach him after class for some perspective on the stop and ID or terry stop debate. For the most part he suggested the same conclusion most of us had come to. To require ID or a terry stop the officer needs reasonable suspicion. He did give some sway regarding officer discretion; however, he maintained that having a gun where it is legal to do so does not constitute reason to stop and ID.

I know this isn't new information for most of us but it is nice to know a local judges feel the same way.

ChiangShih

Not denying his integrity or commitment to his viewpoint/law. But, will he hold the same opinion as official when he is on the bench? Off the record conversations are just that off the record. Does this judge have any documented court cases to validate that he does what he told you? I'd be very interested to read those cases and the reasoning for adjudicating one way or the other.

As this was an impromptu conversation, I don't have any validation on his stance. Also, he is a trial court judge and the conversation was one on one. There is no logical reason why he wouldn't have been honest in his opinion. I agree, theres no telling how he would rule on the bench, but there are many more variables than just judges opinion that sway any given case, so it is kind of a moot point. Now as for any existing case documents or law on the matter of OC regionally would be interesting to read; however, I don't know of any.