• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member!!

ishyid

Hi all,

I am very new to handguns as I am only 21 years old and just purchased my first handgun
I have not applied for a CWP yet due to finacial. But will be soon! I am anxious to strt carrying and thought I would stop in and say hello to everyone and see if anyone has advice for open carrying in WA. Still not sure if I want to or not bit figured a little info about it wouldn't hurt. Also im interested in OC meets around my area (I live in Bonney Lake).

Thanks all!
-Joshua

DevinWKuska

Welcome! Your not too far from me. I live in Graham/southhill near the orting valley. We should go shooting sometime eh?

.45ACPaddy

As you'll discover, you can't have your pistol loaded while you're in a vehicle until you get your concealed pistol license.

One idea to make life easier while OCing and driving around is to carry without one in the chamber, that way you can just drop the mag before getting into your car. If you can manage to drop the mag without unholstering, I'd go that route. When you get out of your car you can just put the mag back in. Of course with doing that, I'd practice (using snap caps) drawing and racking the slide. It's how I started out until I got my CPL.

A friend of mine, before getting his CPL, would open his car door, turn his hip so it was facing the inside of his car, unholster, drop the mag and rack the slide while having it pointed at the ground to get the round out. While in the car he'd keep the slide open, and upon exiting, simply put the mag in and drop the slide while it was still in the holster. However, in my experience, unchambering and rechambering the same round repeatedly tends to beat it up a bit if it's a hollow point.

Just a couple of ideas. I'll let others chime in with other ideas as well.

Welcome to the site!

irish52084

I carried concealed for a while before coming across open carry and am just now getting more comfortable with OC. I still feel a little strange when I OC, because I tend to think everyone is looking at me and will freak out at any moment. Yet, every time I OC it seems like no one even notices. I think people are so used to cell phones, pda's etc.. on belt lines that a gun is just glanced over and they think it's a phone or something else. OC is way more comfortable to me, no worrying about printing or my shirt coming up and my gun showing.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"I am very new to handguns as I am only 21 years old and just purchased my first handgun"

Welcome. As already stated by better speakers than me. Learn your weapon. Learn the law. Train with your weapon.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"I am very new to handguns as I am only 21 years old and just purchased my first handgun"

Welcome. As already stated by better speakers than me. Learn your weapon. Learn the law. Train with your weapon.

Congratulations and welcome to OCDO.

You accept a grave responsibility that only truly free people may embrace.

Study, train and put into practice all that you learn - keep spreading the word.