• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy holster question

Cranky Old Guy

I am traveling to Vegas next week. I would rather avoid hassles with open carry if possible.

Is a gun case (A rug with a belt clip) or a complete coverage holster like a safepacker legal for open carry in NV? Or does the firearm need to be visible in the holster? I looked at the statutes and am not clear.

Thanks in advance.

Nevada carrier

In Nevada, concealed is defined as "Not Discernible by ordinary observation." There is not Legal opinion or case law to support the carry of a firearm in this type of holster if you do so, you are running the risk of being the test case.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The gun must be discernible by ordinary observation.
"Concealed weapon” means a weapon described in this section that is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

1265947219_73695060_1-Pictures-of-Concealed-Holster-Concealment-Holster-SafePacker-Holster-Concealed-Carry.jpg
(Safepacker "holster")

I think it would be challenging to argue that ordinary observation would indicate this contained a gun. Same thing for a gun rug or a gun case.

Last edited:

Cranky Old Guy

Thanks, I wasn't sure. The law is worded different in AZ and such things work without undo attention. I knew Nevada would be different.

Thanks again.

chrsjhnsn

open carry here is different then AZ! in the old days in AZ afaik you could have only a bit of the handle showing and be legal, way different here either totally open or concealed/permit required.
Safepacker would need a ccw to be legal.