• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finanlly did it-first open carry experience

lancers

Well after years of hesitation (not normal with me), I went out and open carried at some stores. I was wearing black slacks and a button down with my SA XD9 in the Bianchi 7500 holster. All of the places were in Maplewood, MO.

I first went to Autozone. to my surprise, I don't think anyone even noticed. I saw some people look at me, but it was probably more because I was semi-dressed up compared to everyone else there.

Next I went to Lowes. The two workers at the door for sure noticed it, but they were very friendly in welcoming me. I walked around the store and I think a few other people noticed, but they didn't seem to care. Then two women employees asked me if I needed help. I told them what I needed and they pointed me in the right direction. Then the one said to the other in a joking manner, "he can have what ever he wants, he has a gun." The other said, "I didn't do it" as she must have thought I was a cop. They were friendly, so I didn't really comment back. I went to check out and one of the women from before was at the register. She asked, "What do you do?". I said excuse me and she asked again. I said, "what do you mean?". She said, "well you have a gun". Then I told her I was just a regular person and that open carry was legal here. She said, "oh yeah, I know". The way she said it though, she at least convinced me she knew it was. Then she asked for the 4 digits at the end of my card (I had put away), but if I knew them, I could just give them to her. "I trust you" she said. I couldn't think of them off hand so I got my card back out. She then told me she would remember the me and the 4 numbers next time I came in. I said thank you and have a good day and walked out.

Then I went to the Wal-Mart in the same plaza. Quite a few people noticed the gun, but just seemed to go on their way. It seems if you just act like what you are doing is ok, everyone else thinks it is too. Then as I was checking out with some oil, I saw 3 cops come in looking around. I was thinking, here we go. Turns out, they were there for a shoplifter instead.

What I learned:
1) Most people don't notice
2) The ones that do, think you are allowed to do it
3) People are really friendly to you
4) No one tries to take your gun (like some anti-OC people say will happen)

I really plan to start doing it more often now.

Michael Hopkins

Open Carry in the Show-Me State. Only seems appropriate.

Good job and you're right, people that do notice tend to assume it's ok and they are unusually nice to you. To me that just reinforces Heinlein's "An armed society is a polite society" quote we seem so familiar with on this forum.

Perhaps a small measure of paranoia, but just because no one tried to take your gun, nor is it likely they will, don't let this lull you in to a lower sense of situational awareness as you OC more and more. But, I'm sure you're aware of this.

Have a great day! :D
Mike

mspgunner

Well after years of hesitation (not normal with me), I went out and open carried at some stores. I was wearing black slacks and a button down with my SA XD9 in the Bianchi 7500 holster. All of the places were in Maplewood, MO.

I first went to Autozone. to my surprise, I don't think anyone even noticed. I saw some people look at me, but it was probably more because I was semi-dressed up compared to everyone else there.

Next I went to Lowes. The two workers at the door for sure noticed it, but they were very friendly in welcoming me. I walked around the store and I think a few other people noticed, but they didn't seem to care. Then two women employees asked me if I needed help. I told them what I needed and they pointed me in the right direction. Then the one said to the other in a joking manner, "he can have what ever he wants, he has a gun." The other said, "I didn't do it" as she must have thought I was a cop. They were friendly, so I didn't really comment back. I went to check out and one of the women from before was at the register. She asked, "What do you do?". I said excuse me and she asked again. I said, "what do you mean?". She said, "well you have a gun". Then I told her I was just a regular person and that open carry was legal here. She said, "oh yeah, I know". The way she said it though, she at least convinced me she knew it was. Then she asked for the 4 digits at the end of my card (I had put away), but if I knew them, I could just give them to her. "I trust you" she said. I couldn't think of them off hand so I got my card back out. She then told me she would remember the me and the 4 numbers next time I came in. I said thank you and have a good day and walked out.

Then I went to the Wal-Mart in the same plaza. Quite a few people noticed the gun, but just seemed to go on their way. It seems if you just act like what you are doing is ok, everyone else thinks it is too. Then as I was checking out with some oil, I saw 3 cops come in looking around. I was thinking, here we go. Turns out, they were there for a shoplifter instead.

What I learned:
1) Most people don't notice
2) The ones that do, think you are allowed to do it
3) People are really friendly to you
4) No one tries to take your gun (like some anti-OC people say will happen)

I really plan to start doing it more often now.

I hope you'll be joining the OC CIty Hall Tour!

cash50

Good deal. It's really fun to do sometimes.

And there are some people out there who won't like it. And those people make me chuckle.

mspgunner

OC Bil in Missouri

The following bill has been filled in the Missouri House:
FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 841
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES FITZWATER (Sponsor), JONES (89), FRAKER, ASBURY, LASATER, COOKSON, BARNES, ELMER, HAMPTON AND REDMON (Co-sponsors).
1393L.03I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk

AN ACT
To amend chapter 571, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the open carry of firearms.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:

Section A. Chapter 571, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 571.037, to read as follows:
571.037. Notwithstanding any other provision of state law or local ordinance any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement may openly carry firearms on or about his or her person or within a vehicle.