Thread: Speedy's in St. Joe

Speedy's in St. Joe

Today i had to make the decision to stop going to Speedy's at 17th and Mitchell. I've been going to this gas station for 20 years, I have only OCed in there a couple of times, and today was not one of those times. My shirt was over my gun and there was only a very slight bulge (which i didn't think was even noticeable) so it surprised me when the clerk asked if I was carrying a gun on me. I replied with a simple Yes, she then asked if i could leave it in my truck from now on. I told her that i had never known Speedy's to have a policy against guns she said they do. I paid for my refill and left. I will not be going in there until i find out from the owner what the policy is. Because when i worked at a different Speedys location the policy only applied to employees, but that was 10 years ago. Maybe she felt comfortable enough asking me to keep it out of the store becuz im a regular. Maybe one of you other local guys can try stopping in there while carrying and see if they say anything to you.

If it was concealed,and all she saw was a buldge.................my answer would have been NO, done my business and left,or possibly left without doing any business....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    If it was concealed,and all she saw was a buldge.................my answer would have been NO, done my business and left,or possibly left without doing any business....
    And my reply would have been, "That's really none of your business.".

I'm constantly amazed that people have the courage to come up ask a supposedly scary guy carrying if they've 'got a gun' or are 'a cop'.

I suppose equally amazing is that people answer them other than to say 'Do I know you?' or state flatly 'None of your darn business'. It's only after you give them the answer they want that they start making trouble - it gives them cause to continue.

Well the thing is I'm not a stranger to theses people we joke with each other all the time, I go there everyday and they have seen my gun, I just dont know why they have a problem with it now. And as soon as the owner gets in his plane and flies himself back here I'm gonna find out what the deal is becuz he allows hunters into his store that sells deer tags and they can carry a pistol on their hip.

Update

Ok I have finally spoken to Jason who is in charge of the whole chain since his dad semi retired. He informed me that the company policy is that "only on duty law enforcement officers are allowed to carry firearms into any Speedy's location" so if ur ever in St. Joe just know that Speedy's Convenience Store is anti 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    I'm constantly amazed that people have the courage to come up ask a supposedly scary guy carrying if they've 'got a gun' or are 'a cop'.

I suppose equally amazing is that people answer them other than to say 'Do I know you?' or state flatly 'None of your darn business'. It's only after you give them the answer they want that they start making trouble - it gives them cause to continue.
    I've had a couple people ask me if my gun is loaded and I never answer their question, just switch topics. One time I did ask back, "which one?" when I was only visibly carrying one.

Wow .. I remember those from when I lived there. I think Mike George ( the wrestler) owned it at the time ????

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    And my reply would have been, "That's really none of your business.".
    LOL...ask her which bulge she is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    Wow .. I remember those from when I lived there. I think Mike George ( the wrestler) owned it at the time ????
    Wow how long ago was that? Cuz if i remember the stores history right, John Rowe got control of the company from his father many years back.

BTW: I recognize the name Mike George. When was he a wrestler? Late 70's early 80's? Cuz my grandpa filmed the matches for KQ2 back then and it sounds so familiar.
    Last edited by Marc; 04-16-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Article1section23 View Post
    LOL...ask her which bulge she is talking about.
    Ummmm... NO. She might have taken that as me flirting with her, and hell no I aint taking the chance of makin some old fat bitch think i want her. lol

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ....only "on-duty" officers?

Yepper, I'm sure a off-duty officer is gunna disarm in those places if so asked. That fella needs to read the statutes. While off-duty officers are not technically a LEO on their own time in some of the statutes, they remain a "qualified peace officer" and are exempt (by statute or functionally) from many statutes that all LACs are subject to, whether they are on duty or off duty.

Another business for the boycott list, start passing the info around on forums that may be visited by locals. How about a letter to the editor of the "local paper"? If folks don't know then folks won't care.
    I only post on 2 other forums and I havent yet found any other locals on those. And as sorry as the local media is they would never publish anything against a rich man like John Rowe, and they wouldnt want to be seen as pro gun. Thats just life in this shithole town.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    He informed me that the company policy is that "only on duty law enforcement officers are allowed to carry firearms into any Speedy's location" so if ur ever in St. Joe just know that Speedy's Convenience Store is anti 2A.
    I probably would have asked him if he thought "on duty criminals gave a flying ......" myself, but I am kinda politicly neutral on such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Wow how long ago was that? Cuz if i remember the stores history right, John Rowe got control of the company from his father many years back.

BTW: I recognize the name Mike George. When was he a wrestler? Late 70's early 80's? Cuz my grandpa filmed the matches for KQ2 back then and it sounds so familiar.
    Yea, that was early 80's probably. Yes, he was from St Joe along with Bulldog Bob Brown . I used to go to the old auditorium to watch those matches. If my memory is correct, it was a "new" Speedy's that was built by the old drive-in area that had his name on it. I also vaguely remember the original gas station, but can't for the life of me remember where it was. I grew up in Deer Park and went to Central High. Class of '84.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    Yea, that was early 80's probably. Yes, he was from St Joe along with Bulldog Bob Brown . I used to go to the old auditorium to watch those matches. If my memory is correct, it was a "new" Speedy's that was built by the old drive-in area that had his name on it. I also vaguely remember the original gas station, but can't for the life of me remember where it was. I grew up in Deer Park and went to Central High. Class of '84.
    Ok dammit this was supposed to be a post on a place to add to the boycott list. And now you have my interest piqued, cuz I am very interested in local history. I know who Bob Brown was, I've actually met Harley Race, and now i have to ask around and find out more about this whole thing uve brought up, cuz now I just have to know. lol. I will let u know what i find out, but i will probly just send u a pm so this dont get off topic

Good thing I never go there, their cig prices are outrageous. They're also the reason we can't have QT's

Quote Originally Posted by chakragod View Post
    Good thing I never go there, their cig prices are outrageous. They're also the reason we can't have QT's
    You got that right, over 6 bucks for a refill and a pack of Marlboros, costs me less at US Oil to get a new pop and a pack of reds

I used to carry all the time at the Speedy's at Belt and Beck. They all knew me and expected me to be carrying. Now that I've moved, I carry at the Frederick one across from the castle bank (which just so happens to be RIGHT outside of the 1000 foot Bode school zone.) They all recognize me and have never had a problem with my carrying. Interesting.
    "Before all else, be armed." -Nicolo Machiavelli

Yeah I've carried in the south belt one a few times during late night and during the day and they've never said anything.

Yeah it seems that alot of gas stations are going anti 2a. They're paranoid as if all customers were a threat... ignorance at it's best.