• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using Google maps to locate GFSZ's

bluehighways

Hi all. I believe this was discussed in an old thread, but it's been a while. How do I use Google maps to identify the 'forbidden zones' around school properties? I've seen pics posted of a grey ring on google maps identifying the 1000' perimeter of the GFSZ, but I don't know how to make maps like that on Google.

Anyone know how to do this?

Pyro01

Well, I don't know about Google Maps, but on Google Earth, there are several tools that you can use to figure out the 1000' radius from a school. My favorite on is zoomin in on a school, and then using the ruler tool, to figure out how far 1000' goes to in a certain direction. Now I just need to figure out how to make a circle with a 1000' radius.

Michael Hopkins

Idea?

1. Go out in a very much abandoned field.
2. Detonate an aerial munition with a blast radius of 1000' (and make sure you take video of said boom to show to all of us).
3. Wait until Google Earth does its next aerial survey.
4. Locate your hole in the sat scan.
5. Cut and paste said hole scanned from G. Earth.
6. Turn opacity down so you can see through it
7. Bingo, you have a 1000' template.

While you are getting that set up, I'll go look through Google Earth and Maps and figure out how to do it the computer (read: boring) way and will report back when I do, as now I'm curious myself.

Disclaimer - The above description is obviously just my stupid sense of humor and in no way endorses the use of high explosives by any untrained and/or unlicensed personnel.

bluehighways

1. Go out in a very much abandoned field.
2. Detonate an aerial munition with a blast radius of 1000' (and make sure you take video of said boom to show to all of us).
3. Wait until google earth does its next aerial survey.
4. Locate your hole in the sat scan.
5. Cut and paste said hole scanned from g. Earth.
6. Turn opacity down so you can see through it
7. Bingo, you have a 1000' template.

While you are getting that set up, i'll go look through google earth and maps and figure out how to do it the computer (read: Boring) way and will report back when i do, as now i'm curious myself.

Disclaimer - the above description is obviously just my stupid sense of humor and in no way endorses the use of high explosives by any untrained and/or unlicensed personnel.

lol :)

protias

Does Wisconsin have a GFSZ act?

Because the Federal one is unenforceable.

Gun-Free Schools. Wisconsin law, which was modeled on the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990, prohibits the possession or shooting of a firearm within a school zone. It defines a school zone as in the school building, the school grounds, and the area within 1000 feet of the school grounds. The law provides a number of exceptions, including possessing a firearm on private property, using a firearm for a school program, or carrying a firearm while crossing a school zone to get to lands open to hunting, and it excludes beebee guns, air guns, and starter pistols from the definition of “firearm” [s. 948.605].

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/00wb11.pdf

WCI has filed a lawsuit against the WI GFSZ.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...onsin-Carry-Inc.-Gun-Free-School-Zone-Lawsuit

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Gun-Free Schools. Wisconsin law, which was modeled on the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990, prohibits the possession or shooting of a firearm within a school zone. It defines a school zone as in the school building, the school grounds, and the area within 1000 feet of the school grounds. The law provides a number of exceptions, including possessing a firearm on private property, using a firearm for a school program, or carrying a firearm while crossing a school zone to get to lands open to hunting, and it excludes beebee guns, air guns, and starter pistols from the definition of “firearm” [s. 948.605].

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/00wb11.pdf

WCI has filed a lawsuit against the WI GFSZ.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...onsin-Carry-Inc.-Gun-Free-School-Zone-Lawsuit

Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize y'all had to deal with this too. Well, good luck with that. California's GFSZ basically makes OC impossible in most developed areas.

Over here, we tried to do the whole "zone map" thing, and gave the endeavor up as creating more problems than it solved (for example, once you go around mapping, there goes your excuse for any schools you might have missed, at least for the CA version of the law).

On the other hand, in the context of a lawsuit, a sample of such a map would go a long way to proving how school zones amount to a complete prohibition in many cities.

Last edited:

protias

Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize y'all had to deal with this too. Well, good luck with that. California's GFSZ basically makes OC impossible in most developed areas.

Over here, we tried to do the whole "zone map" thing, and gave the endeavor up as creating more problems than it solved (for example, once you go around mapping, there goes your excuse for any schools you might have missed, at least for the CA version of the law).

On the other hand, in the context of a lawsuit, a sample of such a map would go a long way to proving how school zones amount to a complete prohibition in many cities.

CA sounds exactly like WI in that regard.

bluehighways

Thanks for the info.

Indeed, just as Protias said, WI is much like CA in that regard. I live less than one block from a parochial elementary school, with several public schools in the area, too. My reason for wanting to map out my area is to confirm what I already suspect, and that is complete prohibition of OC due to the overlapping GFSZ's. I wouldn't even dream of trying to carry around my neighborhood or try to skirt around the 'forbidden zones'. There are way too many pitfalls to be encountered by someone who follows the laws. Only cops and criminals get to carry around here. My wife or I carrying to protect our kids from the crackheads down the street, or the sex offenders living a few blocks over is just out of the question.

Thank you liberal idiot $hitheads of Wisconsin for legislating me out of the right to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

bluehighways

hardballer

The state law Says you knowingly have to break the law. If you don't know where the schools are, you can not knowing break the law. Think that through before you 'zero' in on the school zones.

IcrewUH60

my two cents

948.605 (2)(a)
(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is guilty of a Class I felony.

Don't forget about that little phrase "or has reasonable cause to believe". You walk down a street and pass a "School Zone Speed Limit" sign and they (arguably) got ya. Walk past a crosswalk marked with the "School Children Crossing" sign and they (arguably) got ya. Get passed by three school buses at 2:30 PM???? who knows, but your still putting yourself in the hands of the prosecution and what their definition of "has reasonable cause to believe" is.

I've only mapped out my neighborhood because I think (not know) that it would be fairly easy to prove that I would have "reasonable cause to believe" where the schools are. Fact: I have a daughter in elementary school and she participates in many school activities that take place in other schools (like the High School in town) - I take her to these events, so for me it was a no brainier to be responsible about it.

I'm not trying to argue for or against the reasons of "knowing" where the limits are, just offering my opinion on the matter. To each his/her own.

Now, if I were visiting or traveling through a different town then it's a different story.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
In California, Theseus was convicted of the GFSZ law while he was on private property. The court decided to limit private property to one's curtilage, and (more pertinently) they basically decided that just by choosing to be an UOCer, he had taken on a responsibility to learn the schools nearby, and thus he "reasonably" should know about all of them.

Last edited:

Lurchiron

In California, Theseus was convicted of the GFSZ law while he was on private property. The court decided to limit private property to one's cartilage, and (more pertinently) they basically decided that just by choosing to be an UOCer, he had taken on a responsibility to learn the schools nearby, and thus he "reasonably" should know about all of them.

Just how much cake do those thought-police pull down a year...sounds like a cushy job; probably has a lot of union bennies too.:eek:

bluehighways

The state law Says you knowingly have to break the law. If you don't know where the schools are, you can not knowing break the law. Think that through before you 'zero' in on the school zones.

I appreciate your concern, and I do realize that mapping school zones can be damning should one violate the GFSZ law. The only reason I wanted to do it was to confirm what I had suspected, and that is on my side of this town, open carry cannot be done. The school zones overlap each other effectively making this whole side of town a no-go. I have no intention of mapping any other areas.