• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Police talk about Active Shooter or Person with a Gun 4/2/11 12PM-3PM CANCELLED

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Me too.. ESPECIALLY since someone "in the know" said they went on record saying they would shoot ANYONE WITH A GUN ON CAMPUS and sort out the details later (all in the interest of safety).

Really?

Seems a bit irresponsible.

curtiswr

Really?

Seems a bit irresponsible.

You mean shooting whoever has a gun might not be a good idea?!

March 13, 2011
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42054944/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. — A police officer was fatally shot by another officer after a confrontation with a knife-wielding man inside a home in a New York City suburb, authorities said Sunday. The suspect also was killed.

For reasons that are unclear, an MTA officer fired one shot at Geoffrey Breitkopf, one of the special operations officers, Smith said.

:uhoh:

Other reports indicate that Breitkopf was in plain clothes and armed with a rifle.

Last edited:

Felix

Ed, I hope they do some role-playing scenarios like the last VCDL session in NoVA. And more importantly, you need to be the citizen...the focus of their attention in the various venues. It'll be as beneficial to the cops as to us. I'll be willing to bet some of them can get tripped up by a savvy role-player even when they've had plenty of advanced warning to get fully up to speed on the (sometimes) nuances of federal and state laws with respect to OC.

hunter45

GMU police are in some hot water right now because of a student that they arrested on abduction charges. Only one side of the story has been heard and people are going crazy and calling for the officers involved to be fired. Here's the story if anyone is interested (it is VERY one-sided).

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-571789

Last edited:

VApatriot

GMU police are in some hot water right now because of a student that they arrested on abduction charges. Only one side of the story has been heard and people are going crazy and calling for the officers involved to be fired. Here's the story if anyone is interested (it is VERY one-sided).

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-571789

It is a very one-sided story, but, based on what I have seen and heard many other cops do and say (via videos and voice recorders), I find nearly everything in this account to be believable. The thing that disturbs me the most, and most makes me believe at least the majority of this story, is that the student was 1. given a citation for trespassing only after he had filed a complaint 2. he was not arrested for the alleged felony until after he had contintued higher up the chain.

Again, since I wasn't there I can't say for sure that any of this is true, but, true or not, it is a great reminder of why always having a recording device, or at least one near at hand, is a must.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It is a very one-sided story, but, based on what I have seen and heard many other cops do and say (via videos and voice recorders), I find nearly everything in this account to be believable. The thing that disturbs me the most, and most makes me believe at least the majority of this story, is that the student was 1. given a citation for trespassing only after he had filed a complaint 2. he was not arrested for the alleged felony until after he had contintued higher up the chain.

Again, since I wasn't there I can't say for sure that any of this is true, but, true or not, it is a great reminder of why always having a recording device, or at least one near at hand, is a must.

Yeah, it is one sided but I don't know anything about the PD.

If what Ed said was correct:

someone "in the know" said they went on record saying they would shoot ANYONE WITH A GUN ON CAMPUS and sort out the details later

and again, we're talking about the mysterious "someone"....it does fit the actions.

Ed, what "record was that statement made on?

If all this is accurate they need some serious time in their own jail.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know the "someone" he is talking about, and like Ed, I won't disclose their identity. But I have no reason to believe they aren't telling the truth.

I didn't ask about his identity. I asked what record the Officer went on when he said that.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to be nameless Nova, but unless it's recorded or written, without a name it's only reference material to use to find another way to verify it.

Last edited:

VApatriot

I'm probably not going to side with your typical college student who immediately pulls out the race card even when GMU PD has black, white, asian, and hispanic employees.

The suggestion that race might have been a factor seemed to be an editorial opinion of the individual who wrote the story, and the student who was arrested may not feel that way at all.

If any of this is true, I would suggest that it resulted due to "contempt of cop," rather than due to prejudice by GMU police force.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The suggestion that race might have been a factor seemed to be an editorial opinion of the individual who wrote the story, and the student who was arrested may not feel that way at all.

If any of this is true, I would suggest that it resulted due to "contempt of cop," rather than due to prejudice by GMU police force.

Well VP, there's obviously a lot of hype in that story but even after stripping all of it off, it is a case of contempt of cop and a serious one....IF IT"S TRUE!

That's why it would be helpful to find out if one of the Officers really made the statement Ed quoted. It would help fit the pieces together. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Right now it's just a lot of allegations floating around.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ed
Me too.. ESPECIALLY since someone "in the know" said they went on record saying they would shoot ANYONE WITH A GUN ON CAMPUS and sort out the details later (all in the interest of safety).
Sounds like first degree murder to me...

Roscoe

At the least, assault with a dead weapon - see neocortex

hunter45

Is PVC going to be speaking at GMU? On the Facebook page for that event, PVC is listed under the guests that are "not attending". So that confused me...