Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Senator thrasher and senator dean

  1. #1
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Senator thrasher and senator dean

    from the NRA: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...-thrasher.html


    Call this slime ball thrasher and ask why YOUR rights are being denied BECAUSE SOME DRUNK UNDERAGE PUNK KID OFF CAMPUS KILLED, BY HIS OWN CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE, A GIRL WITH A LONG GUN. Ask the senator if he believes in collective punishment.

    Senator Dean's office implied he would vote for a "Clean SB 234" -what's clean you ask? One with the campus carry provision re-attached.

    They're trying to corner us and scuttle the entire ship. DON"T LET THEM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    148
    I spoke with a rep from his office. He is dead set on killing campus carry. It doesn't matter that the incident at the frat house has nothing to do with the bill.

    The rep also informed me that they have the votes to kill all of SB234 if they add that provision back in the CJ committee itself.

    It looks like Thrasher will make every attempt to either keep campus carry off the bill, or not bring it up for a hearing in the Rules committee.

    He's not going "up against the NRA", he's going up against it's 4 million members. Got to love the media dehumanizing such an important organization.

    What are the chances of only removing campus carry, kicking Thrasher out next election due his newly acquired "F" NRA grade, and passing a campus-only bill? I have skin in this game too btw, I'm a student.
    Last edited by nigmalg; 03-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    I spoke with a rep from his office. He is dead set on killing campus carry. It doesn't matter that the incident at the frat house has nothing to do with the bill.

    The rep also informed me that they have the votes to kill all of SB234 if they add that provision back in the CJ committee itself.

    It looks like Thrasher will make every attempt to either keep campus carry off the bill, or not bring it up for a hearing in the Rules committee.

    He's not going "up against the NRA", he's going up against it's 4 million members. Got to love the media dehumanizing such an important organization.

    What are the chances of only removing campus carry, kicking Thrasher out next election due his newly acquired "F" NRA grade, and passing a campus-only bill? I have skin in this game too btw, I'm a student.
    I hope NRA thrashes him a new one. Florida Carry is more on top of things than I am, but it would seem to me that our only hope for OC is Haridopolis or Dean finding religion. I work right next to the business that my House rep owns, he is the chair of criminal justice and said he has the votes over there for the whole package. I can't figure out the legislative process. I still think without the votes in the Senate the House can't do anything about it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I hope NRA thrashes him a new one. Florida Carry is more on top of things than I am, but it would seem to me that our only hope for OC is Haridopolis or Dean finding religion. I work right next to the business that my House rep owns, he is the chair of criminal justice and said he has the votes over there for the whole package. I can't figure out the legislative process. I still think without the votes in the Senate the House can't do anything about it.
    Actually from what I understood, it's not open carry that's causing all of the contention, it's college carry. The original bill without college carry doesn't seem to get under anyone's skin. Frankly, I'm wondering why Thrasher (otherwise, A+) is so sensitive about it. The anecdotal college carry story he promoted had absolutely nothing to do with the bill.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    Actually from what I understood, it's not open carry that's causing all of the contention, it's college carry. The original bill without college carry doesn't seem to get under anyone's skin. Frankly, I'm wondering why Thrasher (otherwise, A+) is so sensitive about it. The anecdotal college carry story he promoted had absolutely nothing to do with the bill.
    Right, but Dean won't vote for OC. The sense is we can get OC through everywhere else but Committee stop one, now that we've agreed to remain defenseless at schools because an underage drunk killed a girl with a long gun in a private home. Can't get past stop 1

  6. #6
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Letter to Thrasher

    Dear Senator Thrasher,

    I am writing about an article in the Miami Herald that mentioned you. I have also spoken to one of your representatives at your Tallahassee office on this subject. There is a specific quote in there that I find incredible: ďAny other time I might support something like this, but I just canít.Ē You were talking about recognizing the right of people to defend themselves on public college campuses. As I understand this quote, my right to bear arms will be denied because of your irrational emotions. An underage drunk shot and killed a girl you knew off campus with a long gun. Therefore, in a spasm of collective punishment, you have denied self defense rights to all law abiding citizens in the state of Florida. You are literally tying peoples' hands behind their backs. People who would like the means of self defense in and around college school campuses; an environment rife with muggers, rapists, and even murderers. If you go through with this position, and it looks like you will, I will do my small part to ensure that this move is political suicide for you. Thank you for your time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member ~*'Phoenix'*~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    538
    Legislative process - (it's pretty crappy in IMHO)
    1. Sponser and Co-sponser put forth a bill.
    2. Mysterious-they assign it to three appropriate committees (which in the senate are between 5-10 people, far too small. In the house, they are between 10-15 people, almost too large)
    3. The first committee may vote favorable, favorable with their attached amendments, or nay.
    4. The original or amended bill is sent to the 2nd committee, or the unfavorable bill gets trashed.
    5. The 2nd committee votes and/or amends the bill. (possibly scuttling it)
    6. The 3rd committee votes and/or amends the bill. (possibly scuttling it)
    7. What's left of it goes to the full legislature in the level it was introduced. If it passes house/senate majority vote, it goes to the other level (it can be amended while on the floor of either legislature).
    8. If it passes both, it goes to the governor's desk, where he/she can sign it or veto it.
    9. If the governor vetoes it, the senate and house vote again, and a 2/3 majority forces it through.
    So, there are at least 5 points at which it can be amended, 6 or 7 at which it can be killed. I guess this is good and bad overall to prevent bad laws from being flung around, but a lot of trouble for getting something passed we care so much about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •