Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mariners' Museum in Newport News

Mariners' Museum in Newport News

I decided I wanted to walk the Noland Trail so I went on the Mariners' Museum website to get some information. http://www.marinersmuseum.org/visito...tion/park-lake The last of the parks rules prohibit "weapons". On the website it is mentioned that private donations support the Museum but I had a suspicion that they were taking city money as well.

The city website lists the Mariners' Museum as accepting a grant of unknown amount for 2010-2011. http://www.nngov.com/arts-commission/resources/grants A list of past years does not seem available. I searched through the city budget for this year but was unable to find the Mariners' Museum listed nor was I able to find the grant funds generally. Some of the other organizations listed on the nngov website are listed specifically.

Anyone know where I can get better information?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Exclamation

I have found a handful of appropriations information from July and September, 2010 directing federal revenue to the museum in the form of grants, particularly:

http://www.nngov.com/city-council/ci.../R12024-10.pdf

and

https://www.nngov.com/city-council/a...%20MEETING.pdf

I would say, yes, absolutely. But I have an email in to them for confirmation. I did not ask about weapons, only if the city was in any way involved in the museum's operations or funding.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I have found a handful of appropriations information from July and September, 2010 directing federal revenue to the museum in the form of grants, particularly:

I would say, yes, absolutely. But I have an email in to them for confirmation. I did not ask about weapons, only if the city was in any way involved in the museum's operations or funding.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post

http://www.nngov.com/city-council/ci.../R12024-10.pdf

and

https://www.nngov.com/city-council/a...%20MEETING.pdf

Thanks. I sent one to the Arts Committee looking for part of the money trail before I posted.
    Last edited by t33j; 03-11-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I work for Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding and have worked at shipyard for over 30 years. The Museum and grounds are owned buy the shipyard. Whether they get federal, state or city grants is moot. They are a private museum open to the public. The city has no say in their operation. Good luck with your letters and communications, but don't be suprised to the responses.
    Last edited by mobeewan; 03-12-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mobeewan View Post
    I work for Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding and have worked at shipyard for over 30 years. The Museum and grounds are owned buy the shipyard. Whether they get federal, state or city grants is moot. They are a private museum open to the public. The city has no say in their operation. Good luck with your letters and communications, but don't be suprised to the responses.
    Their on-line claim: The Mariners' Museum 550-acre park is the largest privately maintained park in the United States. http://www.marinersmuseum.org/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

You beat me to the link, but here is a couple more including board of directors and administrators.

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/visito...d-noland-trail

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/visito...administration
    Last edited by mobeewan; 03-12-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mobeewan View Post
    Appreciate the info. I was of the same opinion about grant money before I posted but I was not sure that was the whole story.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Dunno about all of the above, but I've OC'd at the Mariners Museum many times. Haven't been asked to cover up or leave once. Have I just been lucky?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Dunno about all of the above, but I've OC'd at the Mariners Museum many times. Haven't been asked to cover up or leave once. Have I just been lucky?
    Interesting point, because so far nobody has said that they were made to feel unwelcome - has been purely a matter of ownership.

Perhaps the wrong question is being asked of the forum.

Does anyone have any info that would make us think that the Mariners Museum was "unfriendly"?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Interesting point, because so far nobody has said that they were made to feel unwelcome - has been purely a matter of ownership.

Does anyone have any info that would make us think that the Mariners Museum was "unfriendly"?
    Other than the no weapons policy on their website? No Weapons posted on multiple signs on the property.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Other than the no weapons policy on their website? No Weapons posted on multiple signs on the property.
    Good question...

I OC in a lot of places where the rules prohibit it. BB&T and Costco among others, and have had no problems.

It may be that the Museum has an unofficial "Don't say anything unless there's a problem" policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

The previous posts on this thread referred to the neighboring park - haven't been down there in years (used to live in NN) and don't recall seeing signs.

Not disputing, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Good question...

I OC in a lot of places where the rules prohibit it. BB&T and Costco among others, and have had no problems.

It may be that the Museum has an unofficial "Don't say anything unless there's a problem" policy.
    All well and good I think, unless such places are posted, as is the case with the Mariners' Museum Parking lots etc... Breaking the rules puts one at risk (although admittedly improbable) of legal consequences i.e. trespassing.
    Last edited by t33j; 03-13-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I've never seen any signs in the parking lots or entrance to the museum. have they been posted recently? I haven't been there in a month.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

I've never seen any signs in the parking lots or entrance to the museum. have they been posted recently? I haven't been there in a month.
    I didn't go up to the entrance to the museum so I don't know if any are there. There are signs in the parking lot (specifically here(google street view) among other places)
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I've never seen any signs there, either. And I look for them.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

You guys are showing your age with this poor eyesight unless these signs are very new. I know the paved parking lot is a relatively new thing so that could be the case.
    Last edited by t33j; 03-14-2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I didn't go up to the entrance to the museum so I don't know if any are there. There are signs in the parking lot (specifically here(google street view) among other places)
    That sign (not legible) may be for the park. The address for the museum is
    100 Museum Drive not 371 Museum Drive. Seems to me should be easy to check out.

I think I'll OC to the museum today after taking daughter # 2 to her dr. appt. Anyone up for a short-notice get-together?
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

You guys are showing your age with this poor eyesight unless these signs are very new. I know the paved parking lot is a relatively new thing so that could be the case.
    Us old guys can only see old signs, but we do understand the Big words.

I think I'll OC to the museum today after taking daughter # 2 to her dr. appt. Anyone up for a short-notice get-together?
    Mit pictures, yes?

Monday Visit to Mariners'

Today was Monday... If I can figure out how to attach photos to this thing,
    I will include the photo of the front door that includes the information about hours of operation:
    Wednesday through Saturday, 10-5 and Sunday 12 to 5.

The sign nearest the parking lot I use has no mention of "no weapons". If I were able to post it here, it would say
    "Mariners Museum Parking Lots are Private Property and Parking is reserved for museum members (of which I am one), and visitors to the Museum, Park, PFAC and Noland Trail"

I did find another sign closer to the entrance. My photo of that sign is unreadable, but it is the same sign that someone else photographed with better results and includes verbage that "weapons are prohibited in the park and trails".

I've OC'd many times inside the museum and never been approached. Maybe I've just been lucky? I wear a faded Dept. of Homeland Security baseball cap most of the time (which I earned amd am entitled to wear), but those that have met me would not mistake me for an active duty LEO. My hair far exceeds grooming standards; more silver than brown and am 100 lbs heavier than I was when I retired 6 years ago.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

photos

We'll see if this worked...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mariners1.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	5445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mariners2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	5446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mariners3.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	5447  
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

simplyflockingamazing...
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    simplyflockingamazing...
    Thanks for going to the trouble of getting the Pics.
    It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast