• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mariners' Museum in Newport News

t33j

I decided I wanted to walk the Noland Trail so I went on the Mariners' Museum website to get some information. http://www.marinersmuseum.org/visitor-information/park-lake The last of the parks rules prohibit "weapons". On the website it is mentioned that private donations support the Museum but I had a suspicion that they were taking city money as well.

The city website lists the Mariners' Museum as accepting a grant of unknown amount for 2010-2011. http://www.nngov.com/arts-commission/resources/grants A list of past years does not seem available. I searched through the city budget for this year but was unable to find the Mariners' Museum listed nor was I able to find the grant funds generally. Some of the other organizations listed on the nngov website are listed specifically. :eek:

Anyone know where I can get better information?

wylde007

I have found a handful of appropriations information from July and September, 2010 directing federal revenue to the museum in the form of grants, particularly:

http://www.nngov.com/city-council/city-council-actions/2010-legislation/july-13-2010/R12024-10.pdf

and

https://www.nngov.com/city-council/...nutes/09142010 MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING.pdf

I would say, yes, absolutely. But I have an email in to them for confirmation. I did not ask about weapons, only if the city was in any way involved in the museum's operations or funding.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

t33j

I have found a handful of appropriations information from July and September, 2010 directing federal revenue to the museum in the form of grants, particularly:

http://www.nngov.com/city-council/city-council-actions/2010-legislation/july-13-2010/R12024-10.pdf

and

https://www.nngov.com/city-council/...nutes/09142010 MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING.pdf

I would say, yes, absolutely. But I have an email in to them for confirmation. I did not ask about weapons, only if the city was in any way involved in the museum's operations or funding.

Thanks. I sent one to the Arts Committee looking for part of the money trail before I posted.

Last edited:

mobeewan

I work for Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding and have worked at shipyard for over 30 years. The Museum and grounds are owned buy the shipyard. Whether they get federal, state or city grants is moot. They are a private museum open to the public. The city has no say in their operation. Good luck with your letters and communications, but don't be suprised to the responses.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I work for Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding and have worked at shipyard for over 30 years. The Museum and grounds are owned buy the shipyard. Whether they get federal, state or city grants is moot. They are a private museum open to the public. The city has no say in their operation. Good luck with your letters and communications, but don't be suprised to the responses.

Their on-line claim: The Mariners' Museum 550-acre park is the largest privately maintained park in the United States. http://www.marinersmuseum.org/

t33j

Appreciate the info. I was of the same opinion about grant money before I posted but I was not sure that was the whole story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dunno about all of the above, but I've OC'd at the Mariners Museum many times. Haven't been asked to cover up or leave once. Have I just been lucky?

Interesting point, because so far nobody has said that they were made to feel unwelcome - has been purely a matter of ownership.

Perhaps the wrong question is being asked of the forum.

Does anyone have any info that would make us think that the Mariners Museum was "unfriendly"?

t33j

Interesting point, because so far nobody has said that they were made to feel unwelcome - has been purely a matter of ownership.

Does anyone have any info that would make us think that the Mariners Museum was "unfriendly"?

Other than the no weapons policy on their website? No Weapons posted on multiple signs on the property.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Other than the no weapons policy on their website? No Weapons posted on multiple signs on the property.

Good question...

I OC in a lot of places where the rules prohibit it. BB&T and Costco among others, and have had no problems.

It may be that the Museum has an unofficial "Don't say anything unless there's a problem" policy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The previous posts on this thread referred to the neighboring park - haven't been down there in years (used to live in NN) and don't recall seeing signs.

Not disputing, just asking.

t33j

Good question...

I OC in a lot of places where the rules prohibit it. BB&T and Costco among others, and have had no problems.

It may be that the Museum has an unofficial "Don't say anything unless there's a problem" policy.

All well and good I think, unless such places are posted, as is the case with the Mariners' Museum Parking lots etc... Breaking the rules puts one at risk (although admittedly improbable) of legal consequences i.e. trespassing.

Last edited:

t33j

I've never seen any signs in the parking lots or entrance to the museum. have they been posted recently? I haven't been there in a month.

I didn't go up to the entrance to the museum so I don't know if any are there. There are signs in the parking lot (specifically here(google street view) among other places)

t33j

You guys are showing your age with this poor eyesight unless these signs are very new. :lol: I know the paved parking lot is a relatively new thing so that could be the case.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't go up to the entrance to the museum so I don't know if any are there. There are signs in the parking lot (specifically here(google street view) among other places)

That sign (not legible) may be for the park. The address for the museum is
100 Museum Drive not 371 Museum Drive. Seems to me should be easy to check out.