• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mariners' Museum in Newport News

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You guys are showing your age with this poor eyesight unless these signs are very new. :lol: I know the paved parking lot is a relatively new thing so that could be the case.

Us old guys can only see old signs, but we do understand the Big words. :D

I think I'll OC to the museum today after taking daughter # 2 to her dr. appt. Anyone up for a short-notice get-together?

Mit pictures, yes?

MSC 45ACP

Monday Visit to Mariners'

Today was Monday... If I can figure out how to attach photos to this thing,
I will include the photo of the front door that includes the information about hours of operation:
Wednesday through Saturday, 10-5 and Sunday 12 to 5.

The sign nearest the parking lot I use has no mention of "no weapons". If I were able to post it here, it would say
"Mariners Museum Parking Lots are Private Property and Parking is reserved for museum members (of which I am one), and visitors to the Museum, Park, PFAC and Noland Trail"

I did find another sign closer to the entrance. My photo of that sign is unreadable, but it is the same sign that someone else photographed with better results and includes verbage that "weapons are prohibited in the park and trails".

I've OC'd many times inside the museum and never been approached. Maybe I've just been lucky? I wear a faded Dept. of Homeland Security baseball cap most of the time (which I earned amd am entitled to wear), but those that have met me would not mistake me for an active duty LEO. My hair far exceeds grooming standards; more silver than brown and am 100 lbs heavier than I was when I retired 6 years ago.

t33j

Got a response from the Arts Commission and I'll include it for completeness.

The Mariners' Museum (Project): $6,500
which is about 4% of all the grant money spent this year.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Got a response from the Arts Commission and I'll include it for completeness.

The Mariners' Museum (Project): $6,500
which is about 4% of all the grant money spent this year.

Presume the above is the only pertinent reference.

What does that tell you - public grant, private grant?

t33j

Not sure I know what you're asking. I'll attach the whole document for your interest.

Attachments

• FY '11 Grant Awards.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 134

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Not sure I know what you're asking. I'll attach the whole document for your interest.

Appreciate it.

As I understand the effect of public grants being received by private entities is that such causes the entity (Mariners Museum in this case) to be treated much like a public, municipal operation.

In this case it is still not clear - is the Newport News Arts Commission publicly or privately funded?

Yaah, found the answer: Public money!
http://www.nngov.com/arts-commission/resources/grants

IMO - having accepted the grant the Mariners Museum can do no more than the City of Newport News regarding firearms.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

t33j

I sent an email to the museum a while back but have yet to receive a response.

I have also spoken with an internal source who said the shipyard has nothing to do with the ownership or operation of the buildings and grounds. At one time the president of the shipyard did have a role as an individual.

What I found more interesting was that UVA would somehow inherit the museum if it were to become derelict. Don't really have details about this. :confused:

Most of the money for museum operations comes from return on foundation investments. Apparently the museum has been in a poor financial state for years. Still not sure about what to make of or do about the grant money.

Last edited:

wylde007

I received this response

From one Chris Leahy:
I am responding to your recent question, “I am writing to inquire if the Mariner's Museum is in any way funded or financed through grants or organized, managed or directed by the City of Newport News.”

The City of Newport News made a pledge in 2005 to support the construction of the USS Monitor Center here at the Museum. In addition, as part of the fulfillment of our mission, we provide educational tours to school children under a contract with the Newport News school system. To answer the second part of your question, we are not affiliated with the City. The Mariners’ Museum with our park, library and archives is a private, not for profit corporation chartered by the State of Virginia in 1930.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Christopher M. Leahy

Vice President, Finance and Administration

The Mariners’ Museum
My follow-up email has not elicited a reply.

2a4all

Entire Mariner's Museum Park is No Carry.

I OC'd while the wife and I attended the free Thursday night outdoor concert (Crazy Ex's played). While we were seated on our lawn chairs, one of the armed security guards walked by. As it looked like it might rain, I asked him if he had any updates on the weather. When he leaned over to talk, he saw my weapon. He asked my if I knew I wasn't supposed to carry on the premises. I said I didn't, and as far as I knew, the only posting applied to the Noland Trail. He replied, no, it applies to the entire facility, as it's private property. I asked if he was sure if that was the policy, and if he wasn't who would know. He asked me my name, which I gave him, and if I had a CHP, to which I replied in the affirmative, He advised me to be careful, and left.

Shortly thereafter, the band took a break, so we decided to leave. As we were walking to the parking lot, another security officer hailed me and asked of he could talk to me. I said "OK", and continued to walk to the car. He asked me to stop and talk to him right there. In retrospect, I guess I was detained. He was accompanied by the Director, Department of Protection Services (aka the Chief of Police for the park), who spoke with me.

He said, "I see you're carrying a weapon." I adimitted that, and indicated that I always do, and have done so every time I've come to the facility. I also said that any prohibitions weren't posted except for a sign that, AFAIK, only pertained to the Noland Trail. He responded that the Park Rules on the sign at the entrance applied to the entire facility, and that because the MM is private property the prohibition is valid.

We talked about the discussions on this forum, and how several people didn't think that the sign applied to the museum, and that there is no other notice available anywhere else, including fliers, web site, etc. I explained that if "No Carry" is in fact the policy that they want their guests to follow, it should be more clearly stated. He responded that their Legal Eagles have told them that "All you need to do is ask them to leave." And I replied, "That's correct. And if they don't, you can only charge them with trespass, because they have committed no other crime." He agreed. He also said that people assume that new State and Federal Park rules apply to the MM, but don't realize that the MM is private property.

I told him that I would post this conversation on this forum. He gave me his card, we shook hands, and parted company.

Last edited:

2a4all

Unfortunate. Perhaps a coordinated letter writing campaign to the "powers" would be in order?
Ironically, I received my invitation to renew my membership in yesterday's mail.:eek:

I have attended several of the lectures hosted at the museum given by book authors, which I found entertaining and informative. What I found strange, or even unsettling, was the presence of uniformed, armed security personnel at these functions (mostly attended by senior citizens) trying to act like ushers.

Like the AG, I have to question the wisdom and the implementation of their policy, which of course begs the question of what to do about renewal.

paramedic70002

This comes under the heading, "Hit 'em in the pocketbook." I know what I would do.

Checking their "Contact Me" page, none of the Board members have listed emails, and the best general email I am assuming is: membership@MarinersMuseum.org . If you want to talk to someone: (757) 591-7715.

Here's the email I just sent:

Good Day,

I have recently become aware of your policy regarding armed citizens on your property. Specifically that armed citizens are not welcome or allowed to be on your property. Let me first say that as private property, you have the right to bar citizens who are carrying firearms. I have no argument with your property rights. My issue is that your right has become a wrong. Your right to control your property pales in comparison to my right to defend myself and my family from criminal violence, thus our methods and goals have become completely incompatible. Surely you don't believe that a criminal will follow your policy.

As a museum, you have more public exposure than most private property. Your public image directly translates into attendance, membership and revenue. As you have now been identified, if this is accurate, as hostile to the cherished God given and Constitutional right to effective self defense as enshrined in our United States and Virginia Constitutions, I can no longer support, recommend or financially enrich your organization in any way. I will not allow my children to participate in any field trips that involve your museum, and I will speak against my sons' schools from planning any field trips there.

There are many good people who plan their daily and leisure activities around restrictions to their firearms freedoms. There are websites devoted to such planning, and others to discussing various gun related themes. There are entire organizations here in Virginia, with thousands of members, dedicated to the furtherance of gun rights. One such website, a rather large group in Virginia, now has listed your policy as it was applied against one of it's contributors. I plan to distribute this information as far as possible among like minded individuals, barring some communication from the Mariner's Museum officially contradicting the allegations as noted.

If the allegations are true, I urge you to rescind this policy at your earliest opportunity. Respect law abiding citizens who choose to arm themselves in the proudest traditions of the United States and Virginia. Citizens with a Concealed Handgun Permit have been cleared by their resident Circuit Court and an FBI background check, and have received formal instruction in applicable gun laws. These citizens, as well as those who choose to forego the CHP (which costs $50 and a fair time commitment) and Open Carry, have a stellar safety record. And citizens who are forced into firing their weapons in self defense have a much higher success rate / lower miss rate than the police, as reported by the US Department of Justice in their yearly Crime Report. I understand that you do not want anyone to be shot on your property. But do you want innocent citizens robbed, maimed or even killed because they are rendered unable to defend themselves against criminals? Note that nearly every mass shooting has occurred in a "Gun Free Zone." Ask yourself why and how this is possible.

I await your reply as confirmation of your policy, or better, that the policy will be reviewed, as well as your final decision.

Thank you,

2a4all

This comes under the heading, "Hit 'em in the pocketbook." I know what I would do.

Checking their "Contact Me" page, none of the Board members have listed emails, and the best general email I am assuming is: membership@MarinersMuseum.org . If you want to talk to someone: (757) 591-7715.

That should get their attention.

TFred

Good letter!

My only very small suggestion would be to tweak the wording about your son's school:

"I will speak against my sons' schools from planning any field trips there."

I would say something a little stronger (especially since I would suspect that school field trips are very important to this kind of museum):

"I will strongly lobby to the best of my ability against ANY visit to the museum by my child's schools."

Just a slight tweak...

ETA: One follow-up... as we have seen with countless instances of where gun carry laws have been relaxed... it is nearly certain that if they do eliminate their prohibition, the end result will be essentially no change. The concealed carriers are never seen, and the Open Carriers are simply not prevalent enough to make a notable difference (unless we decide to have a field trip or something!)

I would add to a closing, something to the effect of: "As we have seen over the years in Virginia, in countless instances of relaxing restrictions on the legal carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens, the only thing worth noting has been the fact that there have been NO incidents worth noting. A year ago the ban on carrying concealed guns in restaurants that serve alcohol was rescinded, and despite the cries that there would be "blood in the streets", nothing has happened. I strongly suspect that the day after you drop your gun ban policy, you will not notice any difference whatsoever, and yet you, your staff, and your visitors will be inherently safer, because any potential criminals will know that they just might not be free to murder at will."

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Fantastic letter - hope it generates the response it so richly deserves.

Mindflayer

My ex would sometimes run/walk in that park without me when we lived in Newport News. She ran into flashers and a couple of creepy guys several times. I'd think carrying there and in NN Park would be a Good Thing.™