• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and schools zones Question

kdt1970

My wife and I will be coming from Utah to take the Nevada Concealed Carry class in Vegas, and I know open carry is legal there, but does Nevada have a 1000 foot GFZ like Utah? My wife and I will be taking our class at THE GUN STORE on March 26th and we plan to open carry from our hotel to the class and throughout the class. I just want to make sure we are legal.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
There is no such law in Nevada. There is the federal law of dubious constitutional muster. U.S. vs Lopez said it is outside of the scope of Congress, but Congress simply modified the law in a circular way and somehow that is supposed to make it okay.

Last edited:

SimplyTom

If you're going to OC from the hotel to The Gun Store that's OK. Just be aware that when you get to the class you'll be asked to surrender your firearm at the door and the instructor will clear it for safety. You'll then get it back but will have to place it on the table in front of you the entire time you're there at the class.

Remember, in NV, current law states that you must qualify with each firearm you intend to concealed carry so bring all your firearms if you want to concealed carry all of them in NV.

Good luck at the class and prepare for a loooong day.

secretasianman

Remember, in NV, current law states that you must qualify with each firearm you intend to concealed carry so bring all your firearms if you want to concealed carry all of them in NV.

If you qualify with a revolver, you can carry any revolver.
For semi-autos you need to qualify by make, model, and caliber. Borrow handguns if you have to. NV doesn't restrict your carry weapon by serial numbers.

There is pending legislation to make semi-auto qualification like revolvers.

since9

Campaign Veteran
For semi-autos you need to qualify by make, model, and caliber.

/sarcasm on

Thanks, Nevada. For years I arrogantly assumed I could read any number of well-written firearms owner's manuals and familiarize myself with the proper operation of my firearms, piggy-backing on my previous experiences and the knowledge garnered while shooting with my father and my firearms training in the military.

Please forgive me, Father, for being so incredibly wrong. I repent in ashes and dust.

/sarcasm off

Seriously sounds like the firearms training unions have the ear of too many state legislatures. It's about time we put a bug in the legislatures's ears, instead. Write 'em. Let 'em know these "training" measures are unnecessary by reason of duplicity. It's a firearm, not a motor vehicle. If my 9-year old can learn how to load, unload, clear, SA-fire, DA-fire, and operate the safety, as well as the three conditions (Jeff's) applicable to my firearm, in less than one hour, these training classes are indeed superfluous and unnecessarily redundant.