Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable options for Utah carry permit? (Seattle or East Side)

Question Affordable options for Utah carry permit? (Seattle or East Side)

I'm planning to do a some travel this summer to states that don't recognize Washingtons permit (Idaho, Montana, etc). I'll be on my motorcycle, so OC is not an option. Also, two other guys that are going want to carry but are not big on OC. I've looked into the Utah permit class locally and would like to take it from Insights, since I like the other classes I've taken there. However, the class through Insights is $145 plus the $65 permit fee. That seems awfully steep for a 4 hour class with zero range time. I also know that Wade's offers the class, but their price is the same as Insights. A few people have reported taking the class at Cabela's, but I couldn't find any info on the cost or how often it's offered.

When my brother got his Utah permit (he lives in North Dakota) he took it from a private individual who is certified by the state of Utah. It cost him under $150 *including* the price of the permit itself. Does anyone know of such an option in Seattle or the East Side? If I could find somewhere that's less expensive I know I could get at least three people, probably more like 5 or 6, to make it worthwhile for the instructor.

I think the total cost for the course at the marksman in Puyallup is around $130.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Uhh..USA Carry lists Idaho and Montana as states that DO honor Washington's permit. Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I think the total cost for the course at the marksman in Puyallup is around $130.
    That's more like it! I just checked and they charge $80 + the $65 fee.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post
    Uhh..USA Carry lists Idaho and Montana as states that DO honor Washington's permit. Am I missing something here?
    from: the Washington State Attorney General's site - http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Arkansas
    Florida*
    Louisiana
    Michigan*
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    North Carolina
    North Dakota**
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Utah

edit: Idaho and Montana might recognize the WA state permit, but if so they did not respond to the attorney general's request for information. Even if those two states do have reciprocity, I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).
    Last edited by Cue-Ball; 03-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.

New Hampshire permit is also a good option. Although the price has gone up to $100 for the non-resident permit, it covers many of the states that accept Utah, plus a couple others. I think the total number is about the same as a WA/Utah combo, just a couple different states. No training needed, all done by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
    from: the Washington State Attorney General's site - http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

edit: Idaho and Montana might recognize the WA state permit, but if so they did not respond to the attorney general's request for information. Even if those two states do have reciprocity, I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).
    The reciprocity list has nothing to do with responding to the AG's request. His list only includes Reciprocity agreements, which means that recognition goes both ways. There are certain requirements that must be met in order for Washington state to recognize another state's permit. These include not issuing permits to people under 21 and that knocks some states off the potential list, including both Montana and Idaho (I think). However, there are about eight states that will accept any permit even though we don't have two way agreements with them. Idaho and Montana are on that list. I have the total list at home but not here at work. I'll post it later if I get a chance.

$60.00 for the Arizona permit. Covers about the same as the Utah.
    They're over there with their guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Dog View Post
    Don't you have to actually go to Arizona to get this one? That's what I remember from previous discussions, anyway.

I'm planning to do a some travel this summer to states that don't recognize Washingtons permit (Idaho, Montana, etc). I'll be on my motorcycle, so OC is not an option. Also, two other guys that are going want to carry but are not big on OC. I've looked into the Utah permit class locally and would like to take it from Insights, since I like the other classes I've taken there. However, the class through Insights is $145 plus the $65 permit fee. That seems awfully steep for a 4 hour class with zero range time. I also know that Wade's offers the class, but their price is the same as Insights. A few people have reported taking the class at Cabela's, but I couldn't find any info on the cost or how often it's offered.

When my brother got his Utah permit (he lives in North Dakota) he took it from a private individual who is certified by the state of Utah. It cost him under $150 *including* the price of the permit itself. Does anyone know of such an option in Seattle or the East Side? If I could find somewhere that's less expensive I know I could get at least three people, probably more like 5 or 6, to make it worthwhile for the instructor.
    I,m waiting on an e-mail from the events coordinator at Cabelas with info about the Utah conceaked carry carry class will post it as soon as I get it.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    Don't you have to actually go to Arizona to get this one? That's what I remember from previous discussions, anyway.
    No.
    I got mine through the mail.

Here is the email from them.

We can send you a packet to apply for a concealed weapons permit. *Please provide your current mailing address and we will get you one. *Thank you.

AZ DPS
    CCW Unit
    Phoenix AZ
    602-256-6280

09/06/2010 08:38 PM
    To
    <ccw@azdps.gov>
    cc

Subject
    Azdps.gov General Inquiry

The following general inquiry has been submitted via azdps.gov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DATE / TIME * * * * * * * : 9/6/2010 8:38:44 PM
    SECTION / SUBJECT * * * * : Concealed Weapons & Permits
    SOURCE * * * * * * * * * *: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...apons/Contact/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NAME * * * * * * * * * * *: Lucky_dog
    E-MAIL ADDRESS * * * * * *: xxxxxxxxxx
    COMMENTS * * * * * * * * *: ---below---

I have a DD214 to show military service and have completed the Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course which I believe would complete the requirement for the 8 hour training course. Does this mean I can receive a non resident permit by mail if I have my local PD do the fingerprint card?
    Thank you
    Lucky_dog
    This link, permit reciprocity maps, will show which states will recognize which permits.
    Last edited by Lucky_Dog; 03-11-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added info

I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).
    Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I just wanted to clarify that one statement.

Getting a Utah and/or Florida permit are worthy goals. I intend to do the same one of these days.
    Last edited by Dain Bramage; 03-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.

That looks like another good option. The honored states are almost the same as Utah, and with the training I've already received no class would likely be required. I wasn't aware until now that Arizona had non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    The reciprocity list has nothing to do with responding to the AG's request. His list only includes Reciprocity agreements, which means that recognition goes both ways. There are certain requirements that must be met in order for Washington state to recognize another state's permit. These include not issuing permits to people under 21 and that knocks some states off the potential list, including both Montana and Idaho (I think). However, there are about eight states that will accept any permit even though we don't have two way agreements with them. Idaho and Montana are on that list. I have the total list at home but not here at work. I'll post it later if I get a chance.
    Yes, you're right. "Formal reciprocity agreements" would have probably been a better choice of words on my part. Thanks for clearing that up.

Some states DO NOT require reciprocity. If many here would take the time to read the FAQ that was written (and made into a sticky) you would see that the Washington CPL is good in the following states:

AK, AR, AZ, FL, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.

+ North Dakota.

+ North Dakota.
    When did ND start start accepting the WA CPL. As part of Utah, yes but not WA.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-11-2011 at 01:14 PM.

You won't need a concealed license in Wyoming come July 1st. The Governor of that state signed a constitutional carry law.

Pennsylvania non-res is offered thru the mail. $26 good for 5 years, just have to send in a copy of your DL & CPL.

PA license is good in the following:
    AK*, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WV, WY

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    When did ND start start accepting the WA CPL. As part of Utah, yes but not WA.
    Agrement I think was signed in January became effective in February.

If you use the link I provided in my first post, the map will show the most current info.

Last edited by Lucky_Dog; 03-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Agrement I think was signed in January became effective in February.

If you use the link I provided in my first post, the map will show the most current info.
    I stand corrected....
    Feb 7, 2011 - ND & WA have reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    You won't need a concealed license in Wyoming come July 1st. The Governor of that state signed a constitutional carry law.
    Only if you are a resident of Wyoming. It's a semi-constitutional carry law.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Grant Asher offers the class as well here in Tri Cities

http://utahweaponspermit.com/gun_cla...p?q=Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Only if you are a resident of Wyoming. It's a semi-constitutional carry law.
    Are they a stop and ID state?

If not, can't you just carry sterile and not talk to police?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Are they a stop and ID state?

If not, can't you just carry sterile and not talk to police?
    I don't believe they are a stop and ID state, but I would never suggest doing such a thing as it would be a violation of forum rule

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
    So I would never suggest that you carry sterile and not talk to police . In fact, when this was suggested in one of the Wyoming threads, the admins reminded people of rule 15.
    Last edited by ak56; 03-12-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: I misspelled the word 'of'.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast