• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable options for Utah carry permit? (Seattle or East Side)

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Are they a stop and ID state?

If not, can't you just carry sterile and not talk to police?

I don't believe they are a stop and ID state, but I would never;) suggest doing such a thing as it would be a violation of forum rule
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

So I would never;) suggest that you carry sterile and not talk to police . In fact, when this was suggested in one of the Wyoming threads, the admins reminded people of rule 15.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Only if you are a resident of Wyoming. It's a semi-constitutional carry law.

Show me where it says that because I'm not finding it in any of the readings I have found. In my trips to Alaska and Arizona no license was needed for me to carry. It was great to empty my wallet to the basics.

Last edited:

1911er

I,m waiting on an e-mail from the events coordinator at Cabelas with info about the Utah conceaked carry carry class will post it as soon as I get it.

Utah Concealed Firearm Permit for Non-Residents Dates Vary, See details. 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. Steelhead Classroom next to Cascades Grill Restaurant upstairs at Cabelas in lacy
Kevin Faherty, Certified Firearms Instructor from ‘@ a Moments Notice, LLC’ will be putting on the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class. The Utah CFP is good in 30 states (not including Oregon). The cost of the Utah class is $80 which includes fingerprinting, passport photo, photocopying and receipt of pre-printed envelope addressed to Utah BCI. An additional $65.25 application fee is required to be paid to the State of Utah. To complete both the Utah and Oregon CFP the same evening, the cost of the class is $100. Please register on line at www.cfputah.com. Limited class size.

Tuesdays:
February 8 / March 8 / April 5

Last edited:

heresolong

Well here's my count.

WA resident gets you 24 states.
Add UT that puts you up to 32
Add NH that puts you up to 29 (used to be a bigger difference but WA added more states)
Add UT and NH that puts you up to 33 (NH only gets you NH if you have UT
Add AZ, UT, and NH that puts you up to 35 and that seems to be the maximum you can get.

Update
My bad. Add an OR to that list and you can be legal in 36 states.

We should put together a sticky with application info and websites for this list of states so that anyone who wants can just max themselves out.

Be nice if Wisconsin would pass a bunch of pro-carry laws while the Ds are hiding in Illinois.
Odd that Colorado doesn't accept anyone's permit.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't believe they are a stop and ID state, but I would never;) suggest doing such a thing as it would be a violation of forum rule

So I would never;) suggest that you carry sterile and not talk to police . In fact, when this was suggested in one of the Wyoming threads, the admins reminded people of rule 15.

Ummm...

Both are legal and therefore not a violation of the forum rules. However, it is legal to carry in MT with a WA CPL. My daughter will be going to MSU next year and I will be a frequent visitor of MT.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Show me where it says that because I'm not finding it in any of the readings I have found. In my trips to Alaska and Arizona no license was needed for me to carry. It was great to empty my wallet to the basics.

The amended law is below. Note, that the exception to residency is that you have a permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized
and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state
that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;
6-8-104. Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties;
exceptions; permits.
(a) A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is
guilty of a misdemeanor ...unless:

(i) The person is a peace officer;

(ii) The person possesses a permit under this section;

(iii) The person holds a valid permit authorizing him to
carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a
governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes
Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit; or

(iv) The person does not possess a permit issued under this
section, but otherwise meets the requirements specified in
paragraphs (b)(i) through (vi), (viii) and (ix) of this section
and possession of the firearm by the person is not otherwise
unlawful.
(b) The attorney general is authorized to issue permits to
carry a concealed firearm to persons qualified as provided by
this subsection... The attorney general through the division shall
issue a permit to any person who:
(i) Is a resident of the United States and has been a
resident of Wyoming for not less than six (6) months prior to
filing the application. The Wyoming residency requirements of
this paragraph do not apply to any person who holds a valid
permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Ummm...

Both are legal and therefore not a violation of the forum rules. However, it is legal to carry in MT with a WA CPL. My daughter will be going to MSU next year and I will be a frequent visitor of MT.

The violation was because the discussion was to carry sterile as a way to not get caught violating the residency requirement for 'constitutional' carry in Wyoming.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The amended law is below. Note, that the exception to residency is that you have a permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized

Constitutional carry for residents of the state ONLY, I guess you can call it a victory.....

Lammo

firearm_map1.JPG

One word of caution: The above map shows that Utah and Colorado have formal reciprocity and that is correct. However, I believe it only applies to Utah residents. I just checked and it still appears that Colorado will not honor a non-resident Utah permit. My map result is attached below.

Attachments

• USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot.jpg
    USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 69

Bill Starks

State Researcher
One word of caution: The above map shows that Utah and Colorado have formal reciprocity and that is correct. However, I believe it only applies to Utah residents. I just checked and it still appears that Colorado will not honor a non-resident Utah permit. My map result is attached below.

Correct. Colorado (CO), Michigan (MI), South Carolina (SC), New Hampshire (NH), Florida (FL), and Maine (ME) only honor permits from residents of the issuing states.

Lammo

I'm planning to do a some travel this summer to states that don't recognize Washingtons permit (Idaho, Montana, etc). I'll be on my motorcycle, so OC is not an option. Also, two other guys that are going want to carry but are not big on OC. I've looked into the Utah permit class locally and would like to take it from Insights, since I like the other classes I've taken there. However, the class through Insights is $145 plus the $65 permit fee. That seems awfully steep for a 4 hour class with zero range time. I also know that Wade's offers the class, but their price is the same as Insights. A few people have reported taking the class at Cabela's, but I couldn't find any info on the cost or how often it's offered.

When my brother got his Utah permit (he lives in North Dakota) he took it from a private individual who is certified by the state of Utah. It cost him under $150 *including* the price of the permit itself. Does anyone know of such an option in Seattle or the East Side? If I could find somewhere that's less expensive I know I could get at least three people, probably more like 5 or 6, to make it worthwhile for the instructor.

www.cfputah.com shows the cost as $80 for the Utah course. The permit itself runs $65.25, which is paid to Utah. I got mine through the Cabela's in Post Falls, ID. Oh, sorry, by "East Side" you probably mean Bellevue/Kirkland/Issaquah/Etc., don't you. And people wonder why I say "Dry Side".
:)

Last edited: