• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable options for Utah carry permit? (Seattle or East Side)

Cue-Ball

I'm planning to do a some travel this summer to states that don't recognize Washingtons permit (Idaho, Montana, etc). I'll be on my motorcycle, so OC is not an option. Also, two other guys that are going want to carry but are not big on OC. I've looked into the Utah permit class locally and would like to take it from Insights, since I like the other classes I've taken there. However, the class through Insights is $145 plus the $65 permit fee. That seems awfully steep for a 4 hour class with zero range time. I also know that Wade's offers the class, but their price is the same as Insights. A few people have reported taking the class at Cabela's, but I couldn't find any info on the cost or how often it's offered.

When my brother got his Utah permit (he lives in North Dakota) he took it from a private individual who is certified by the state of Utah. It cost him under $150 *including* the price of the permit itself. Does anyone know of such an option in Seattle or the East Side? If I could find somewhere that's less expensive I know I could get at least three people, probably more like 5 or 6, to make it worthwhile for the instructor.

Cue-Ball

Uhh..USA Carry lists Idaho and Montana as states that DO honor Washington's permit. Am I missing something here?

from: the Washington State Attorney General's site - http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Arkansas
Florida*
Louisiana
Michigan*
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
North Dakota**
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

edit: Idaho and Montana might recognize the WA state permit, but if so they did not respond to the attorney general's request for information. Even if those two states do have reciprocity, I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).

Last edited:

heresolong

New Hampshire permit is also a good option. Although the price has gone up to $100 for the non-resident permit, it covers many of the states that accept Utah, plus a couple others. I think the total number is about the same as a WA/Utah combo, just a couple different states. No training needed, all done by mail.

heresolong

from: the Washington State Attorney General's site - http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

edit: Idaho and Montana might recognize the WA state permit, but if so they did not respond to the attorney general's request for information. Even if those two states do have reciprocity, I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).

The reciprocity list has nothing to do with responding to the AG's request. His list only includes Reciprocity agreements, which means that recognition goes both ways. There are certain requirements that must be met in order for Washington state to recognize another state's permit. These include not issuing permits to people under 21 and that knocks some states off the potential list, including both Montana and Idaho (I think). However, there are about eight states that will accept any permit even though we don't have two way agreements with them. Idaho and Montana are on that list. I have the total list at home but not here at work. I'll post it later if I get a chance.

1911er

I'm planning to do a some travel this summer to states that don't recognize Washingtons permit (Idaho, Montana, etc). I'll be on my motorcycle, so OC is not an option. Also, two other guys that are going want to carry but are not big on OC. I've looked into the Utah permit class locally and would like to take it from Insights, since I like the other classes I've taken there. However, the class through Insights is $145 plus the $65 permit fee. That seems awfully steep for a 4 hour class with zero range time. I also know that Wade's offers the class, but their price is the same as Insights. A few people have reported taking the class at Cabela's, but I couldn't find any info on the cost or how often it's offered.

When my brother got his Utah permit (he lives in North Dakota) he took it from a private individual who is certified by the state of Utah. It cost him under $150 *including* the price of the permit itself. Does anyone know of such an option in Seattle or the East Side? If I could find somewhere that's less expensive I know I could get at least three people, probably more like 5 or 6, to make it worthwhile for the instructor.
I,m waiting on an e-mail from the events coordinator at Cabelas with info about the Utah conceaked carry carry class will post it as soon as I get it.

Lucky_Dog

Don't you have to actually go to Arizona to get this one? That's what I remember from previous discussions, anyway.

No.
I got mine through the mail.

Here is the email from them.

We can send you a packet to apply for a concealed weapons permit. *Please provide your current mailing address and we will get you one. *Thank you.

AZ DPS
CCW Unit
Phoenix AZ
602-256-6280

09/06/2010 08:38 PM
To
<ccw@azdps.gov>
cc

Subject
Azdps.gov General Inquiry

The following general inquiry has been submitted via azdps.gov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATE / TIME * * * * * * * : 9/6/2010 8:38:44 PM
SECTION / SUBJECT * * * * : Concealed Weapons & Permits
SOURCE * * * * * * * * * *: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Contact/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME * * * * * * * * * * *: Lucky_dog
E-MAIL ADDRESS * * * * * *: xxxxxxxxxx
COMMENTS * * * * * * * * *: ---below---

I have a DD214 to show military service and have completed the Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course which I believe would complete the requirement for the 8 hour training course. Does this mean I can receive a non resident permit by mail if I have my local PD do the fingerprint card?
Thank you
Lucky_dog

This link, permit reciprocity maps, will show which states will recognize which permits.

Last edited:

Dain Bramage

I'd still like to get the 30-ish state coverage offered by the Utah permit (or Florida permit would be another option).

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I just wanted to clarify that one statement.

Getting a Utah and/or Florida permit are worthy goals. I intend to do the same one of these days.

Last edited:

Cue-Ball

The reciprocity list has nothing to do with responding to the AG's request. His list only includes Reciprocity agreements, which means that recognition goes both ways. There are certain requirements that must be met in order for Washington state to recognize another state's permit. These include not issuing permits to people under 21 and that knocks some states off the potential list, including both Montana and Idaho (I think). However, there are about eight states that will accept any permit even though we don't have two way agreements with them. Idaho and Montana are on that list. I have the total list at home but not here at work. I'll post it later if I get a chance.

Yes, you're right. "Formal reciprocity agreements" would have probably been a better choice of words on my part. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Some states DO NOT require reciprocity. If many here would take the time to read the FAQ that was written (and made into a sticky) you would see that the Washington CPL is good in the following states:

AK, AR, AZ, FL, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
firearm_map1.JPG

Bill Starks

State Researcher
You won't need a concealed license in Wyoming come July 1st. The Governor of that state signed a constitutional carry law.

Pennsylvania non-res is offered thru the mail. $26 good for 5 years, just have to send in a copy of your DL & CPL.

PA license is good in the following:
AK*, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WV, WY

Lucky_Dog

When did ND start start accepting the WA CPL. As part of Utah, yes but not WA.

Agrement I think was signed in January became effective in February.

If you use the link I provided in my first post, the map will show the most current info.

USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot1.jpg

Last edited: