• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1205 Now in the Senate

JamesB

03/10/2011 Introduced In Senate - Assigned to State, Veterans & Military Affairs

As of yesterday it has been introduced.
Step one - Get passed the Committee

Call, e-mail, show up. Preferably all three.
Start with the Senators that are on the committee.

Flyer22

It's scheduled to be heard 3/22 (Tues).

Members of the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee:

ROLLIE HEATH -- D (Chair)
District 18
Capitol Phone: 303-866-4872
E-Mail: rollie.heath.senate@state.co.us

BOB BACON -- D (Vice Chair)
District 14
Capitol Phone: 303-866-4841
E-mail: bob.bacon.senate@state.co.us

BETTY BOYD -- D
President Pro Tempore
District 21
Capitol Phone: 303-866-4857
E-mail: betty.boyd.senate@state.co.us

BILL CADMAN -- R (co-sponsor)
Assistant Minority Leader
District 10
Capitol Phone: 303-866-2737
E-mail: bill.cadman.senate@state.co.us

KEVIN GRANTHAM -- R (co-sponsor)
District 2
Capitol Phone: 303-866-4877
E-Mail: kevin.grantham.senate@state.co.us

CAPITOL MAILING ADDRESS
Colorado State Capitol
200 E. Colfax
Denver CO 80203

Senate Calendar:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2011A/csl.nsf/CalendarsFrameSet?OpenForm&chamber=Senate

Bill info:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2011a/csl.nsf/BillFoldersHouse?OpenFrameSet

Brass

To answer that, how many of you would consider voting for him in the next election if he did sign off on Constitutional Carry?

JamesB

Any idea what time that hearing will be? Which class will I have to skip I wonder?

Would Hick sign it... If it passes the Senate I think he would.
He likes to go along to get along if he can.
Would it make me vote for him? It would make me reconsider not voting for him.

Phone calls have led me to believe it should actually pass out of committee. Passing the Senate as a whole will be a challenge though.

Keep calling!

Kingfish

To answer that, how many of you would consider voting for him in the next election if he did sign off on Constitutional Carry?
Hopefully I will be in Colorado when this next becomes an option.

Gun rights are a major indicator to me of where a politician stands. If one believes in gun rights then they believe in personal responsibility and constitutional duty.

If he governs with this view, and the candidate that opposes him has less of a rights minded record then yes, yes I would.

Joe 5o

I would hope the Gov would sign it and not think he is better than the rest of the legislature. I won't say one issue will make or break my vote, but this one carries a lot of weight. If it passes I won't need a thigh rig to carry in the winter!

Flyer22

I called the Capitol staff person for the committee. Unfortunately, there's no definite time for them to start. They're scheduled to start "upon adjournment"--i.e., whenever the Senate as a whole gets done.

There's a party caucus scheduled for Noon; so whatever gets done has to be done by then. The staff person is guessing that the committee will convene about 10:00, but she said it could be 9:30. So anybody who goes tomorrow should plan to clear security by 9:30.

Here's a map of the Capitol.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251604406098&ssbinary=true

The North entrance on Colfax is the public entrance. The committee meeting room is SCR 356.

entartet17

Bad news:

"Senate: Postpone indefinitely HB11-1205, Concealed Handgun Exception. Passed 3-2."

Looks like it got PI'd. It was a partisan vote (of course).

Last edited:

Flyer22

I went up and spoke on behalf of the bill. One thing that kind of upset me was that Sen. Heath said that in his opinion, it's not too much to ask for people to get a CCW. And I had pointed in, both in my testimony today and in previous correspondence, that some people can't easily afford the fee. I guess Sen. Heath doesn't think that poor people deserve the same degree of self-defense that other people do.

JamesB

I went up and spoke on behalf of the bill. One thing that kind of upset me was that Sen. Heath said that in his opinion, it's not too much to ask for people to get a CCW. And I had pointed in, both in my testimony today and in previous correspondence, that some people can't easily afford the fee. I guess Sen. Heath doesn't think that poor people deserve the same degree of self-defense that other people do.

If you can't afford to defend yourself, you should just hire an armed bodyguard... I do.

Insert sarcasm here.

Gunslinger

What can you expect from a ******* democrat?

Anubis

The State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee is the designated kill-a-bill committee.

Part of our legislative process is the power of the one who can assign the bill in order to kill it. His vote is more powerful than everyone else together.

JamesB

The State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee is the designated kill-a-bill committee.

Part of our legislative process is the power of the one who can assign the bill in order to kill it. His vote is more powerful than everyone else together.

It must be nice to be a little more equal than others eh?