Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Work...?????

At Work...?????

Ok... I work in an office type setting (Salesman) with a production area in the back of the building. I have my own office which is just off the front office where 4 ladies work (they are all seem ok). All production people are male and some own pistols. My boss also owns (one that I know of) pistol(s). I have been thinking about OC'ing at work.

I know that we do not have to ask to exercise our rights (learned that in the Delavan thread.. ) but I think a place of work is different than a public retail establishment so, I asked the boss (we are kinda friends on a professional level) how he felt about OC at work. I was real surprised to find out that he did not even know it was legal (owns pistol for home protection). I assured him it WAS legal and he asked for info on the subject so he could read up on it (possibly a new member in the making)...

My question is... how many here (who do not own their own business) OC's at work..and if the work place is "fair game" (pun intended) for OC.

Outdoorsman.

The company I work for has a policy that addresses weapons on company property, including parking lots. As their employee I am required to follow all of their policies.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

"As their employee I am required to follow all of their policies."...

That is why I consider a place of emplyment different than a public location... and why I asked the boss before carrying...

Outdoosman

I have not tested the water here. I just keep it in the car during work.

Years ago one of the older ladies here walked pasted when I was surfing Gunbroker for a H&K G3. HR had to meet with several people to assure them I was not going to shoot up the office and Gunbroker is now a blocked site on the office proxy.

I'm not sure what the policy here is, but I'm also a contractor.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I work in a government building and within a 1000' of a school. Guess it's just not going to happen. However I did have the nice experience of a cop tell me that I have every right to protect myself - wink wink. This was due to a certain threat. I know he couldn't tell me I should carry, but I sure appreciated his attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Ok... I work in an office type setting (Salesman) with a production area in the back of the building. I have my own office which is just off the front office where 4 ladies work (they are all seem ok). All production people are male and some own pistols. My boss also owns (one that I know of) pistol(s). I have been thinking about OC'ing at work.

I know that we do not have to ask to exercise our rights (learned that in the Delavan thread.. ) but I think a place of work is different than a public retail establishment so, I asked the boss (we are kinda friends on a professional level) how he felt about OC at work. I was real surprised to find out that he did not even know it was legal (owns pistol for home protection). I assured him it WAS legal and he asked for info on the subject so he could read up on it (possibly a new member in the making)...

My question is... how many here (who do not own their own business) OC's at work..and if the work place is "fair game" (pun intended) for OC.

Outdoorsman.
    As a salesman, wuold it be a good idea for you to OC?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTC4 View Post
    As a salesman, wuold it be a good idea for you to OC?
    Probably depends on what he sells. If he sells to outdoors-types and liberty lovers I could see that it would help for sure. If he sells to mainly to people that think the constitution should be up for reinterpretation every time a democrat is elected, probably not.

I work out of my office only. I specialize in aircraft related products, interior and exterior cleaning products as well as various typrs of aircraft de-icing fluids. All done by telephone... When I rareley visit a customer in person I would not open carry due to airport security with all the terrorist screening going on...

Outdoorsman

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    I work out of my office only. I specialize in aircraft related products, interior and exterior cleaning products as well as various typrs of aircraft de-icing fluids. All done by telephone... When I rareley visit a customer in person I would not open carry due to airport security with all the terrorist screening going on...

Outdoorsman
    Cool. Honestly, I'd ask the boss if it was ok to CC, if it were me. I'd make the argument that you can be prepared and you aren't risking offending anyone this way. The way I understand the law is that you can CC on private property w/ permission of the person in charge of said property.

ive NOT OCd at work yet...Im a dental hygienist, currently working places on a temp basis...most places where ive been working dont 'know me', so im not gonna push it...i do always have my empty holster on if im not armed. What would you guys think if your hygienist were armed...granted MOST (>99%) of hygienists are female...come to think of it..i kinda like that thought!

I would love to OC at my work. I work in a customer service department that won't even let security carry firearms.....so that is out of the question but i haven't even OC'd once yet mainly because i have no one to do it with for my first time and my family basically said if i do carry and while i am carrying they wouldn't even walk across the street with me.

well,,,

hey juice, dont be a scardy.
    i studied the forum for a month, then just had my best friend
    drive us to the grocery store and follow me around while i shopped
    for ten dollars worth of stuff.
    i OCd sterile, he is a CC guy, and kept a camera on my activity.
    i think the manager was keeping an eye on me too!
    youve been studying enough to pass muster in wisconsin.

i expect a full report, soon.
    you will feel great!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

I'll have to ask about this at work. The owner of the company is from India and he has always shown an interest in firearms. After the layoffs last year there is only myself and one other guy on 2nd right now and he leaves an hour earlier than I do. Also last summer the Oak Creek PD sent out a flier saying there had been some thefts at factories that have a 2nd shift. What the guy was doing was posing as a vending machine repairman and people would let him in and the guy would use a drill to drill out the lock on the vending machines and steal the money. That and the fact that one time a coyote came strolling out of the trees just as I was getting in my car after work .
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

The place I work until last year prohibited weapons on company property period. This past fall they changed their policy to allow weapons in personal vehicles on company property. I've since found out that one of the VP's has a permit to carry (Utah), and in talking with this individual found out that this person is planning on changing that policy, after Wisconsin makes a move out of the stone age to allow residents the ability to defend themselves (carry).
    This person informed me that a attempt will be made to all carry on company property after Wisconsin makes the move.

JJC
    Last edited by JJC; 03-12-2011 at 06:41 AM.

McX
    i cant comment, i done been disqualified.........sniffle,,,,,,,,,,,sniffle.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    I have not tested the water here. I just keep it in the car during work.

Years ago one of the older ladies here walked pasted when I was surfing Gunbroker for a H&K G3. HR had to meet with several people to assure them I was not going to shoot up the office and Gunbroker is now a blocked site on the office proxy.
    you terrifying little bunny! unbelievable how politically correct they are huh? Meet with someone? 'round here, we'd all be looking over your shoulder, and would save the site to favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i cant comment, i done been disqualified.........sniffle,,,,,,,,,,,sniffle.
    We already know what your answer is....

Any "comments" always welcome...

Outdoorsman...

Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    The place I work until last year prohibited weapons on company property period. This past fall they changed their policy to allow weapons in personal vehicles on company property. I've since found out that one of the VP's has a permit to carry (Utah), and in talking with this individual found out that this person is planning on changing that policy, after Wisconsin makes a move out of the stone age to allow residents the ability to defend themselves (carry).This person informed me that a attempt will be made to all carry on company property after Wisconsin makes the move.

JJC
    Maybe talk to him agin to let him know Wisconsin already "allow residents the ability to defend themselves (carry)" (Leagally) in the form of Open Carry....

Outdoorsman

Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    I would love to OC at my work. I work in a customer service department that won't even let security carry firearms.....so that is out of the question but i haven't even OC'd once yet mainly because i have no one to do it with for my first time and my family basically said if i do carry and while i am carrying they wouldn't even walk across the street with me.
    There are people here that will go with you...check out the "adopt a fist timer" thread...

I am also real new at OC'ing in public... check out the last few pages in the Delavan Meet thread to read about my experiances so far. I learned A LOT asking questions there...

Do not be afraid... start out in places you know to be OC friendly and go from there..It really does become easier the more you carry. I also carry constantly around the house and yard to increase my comfort level carrying... as I said in the other thread... I know almost feel uncomfortable while not carrying...

Lizzy"s Cafe in Kansasville (Hwys 11 & 75) has a regualr meet and greet for the Friday night Fish Fry... Nice, friendly, knowledgeable people.... thats where I got started...

Outdoorsman

I am in Kenosha County... feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questons...
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 03-12-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: change info

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I am also disqualified from this too, But I carry (concealed) and I encourage my employees to also carry concealed when at work.
    Customers are welcome to carry in any legal manner.

I was not going to post on this thread because I no longer live in WI, but decided to anyway.

I carry concealed at work, but it is an "open secret". The President of the firm jokingly refers to me as the "Director of Employee Personal Security".
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

From what I understand, if it's private property (which I'm guessing it is) you would need the owner's permission to OC. If you get the OK, then great.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

I work in factory and company policy states no weapons, no ammunition and no explosives. One day I was talking to my new supervisor when I inadvertently pulled 2 or 3 rounds of .357 out of my pocket. He got me a copy of the policy and simply stated he didn't want to see ammunition in the plant again. He was very polite about it.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I work in factory and company policy states no weapons, no ammunition and no explosives. One day I was talking to my new supervisor when I inadvertently pulled 2 or 3 rounds of .357 out of my pocket. He got me a copy of the policy and simply stated he didn't want to see ammunition in the plant again. He was very polite about it.
    "Well, ya know those things could just go off by themselves and kill someone" Pfhhhh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast