• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Earthquake/Tsunami

Ruby

My thoughts and prayers are also with the Japanese people. Every now and then something happens that is bigger than guns and OC. From the reports and pictures, the survivors seem to be calm. I have not read of any lawlessnes, looting, etc. like what went on in New Orleans with hurricane Katrina.

I live in western Washington state, a very earthquake prone place. The Cascades are nothing more than a string of volcanoes which are far from dead. The geologists here keep finding more faults all the time. Seattle is built on fill, not solid ground. Someday we could have an earthquake and tsunami just as deadly as the ones that hit Japan. I pray for the Japanese people and I pray for those of us who live here that it never happens here.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I live in western Washington state, a very earthquake prone place. The Cascades are nothing more than a string of volcanoes which are far from dead. The geologists here keep finding more faults all the time. Seattle is built on fill, not solid ground. Someday we could have an earthquake and tsunami just as deadly as the ones that hit Japan.

Among the more terrifying five minutes of my life involved a giant vhttp://www.americansignal.com/applications/military-giant-voice-solutionsoice-announced evacuation while on vacation in Cannon Beach, OR. At first I blamed my ex for rocking the bed to wake me up. Then I heard the water sloshing out of the toilet, followed a minute later by this reverberating "WARNING! THIS IS A TSUNAMI WAVE WARNING! FLEE TO HIGHER GROUND IMMEDIATELY!"

Gee! Talk about adrenalin rush! We followed a police car doing 50+ in a 25 zone through town. I honest thought he was going to arrest me when we stopped and go out at the rally point half way up the mountain, but he just smiled and said, "Some ride, eh?"

I pray for the Japanese people and I pray for those of us who live here that it never happens here.

Same. It appears they were largely well-prepared. Then again, that country is no stranger to earthquakes.