Thread: Carrying concealed unloaded with no permit, but a full magazine?

Carrying concealed unloaded with no permit, but a full magazine?

Hey guys, this will be my first post

Just wondering if in NH, a firearm is considered loaded if you have a full magazine on you. For example, can I carry a concealed, unloaded weapon, with a full magazine in my pocket, or is that considered a loaded weapon?

I just put in my application for a CCW license yesterday. Started carrying concealed and unloaded (with no ammo on me) to start getting used to having it sit in my waistband.

Until you get the permit, about 2 weeks, DO NOT CONCEAL the firearm. If you get caught doing that you can kiss the permit goodbye. You can, however, carry openly anywhere allowed, except in your car. In the car it must be unloaded and you can't have immediate access to it, put it in the trunk and reholster when you arrive at your destination.

Legally, you can carry it concealed or in the car as long as there is no ammo in the gun itself. Or, you can open carry with it loaded, so long as you're not in a motor vehicle.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../159/159-4.htm

"A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges."

The problem is the RSA defines it being unlawful to carry a concealed "pistol...with...a magazine....loaded". What does "a pistol with a magazine" mean? A police officer will say if you have a loaded magazine anywhere you can easily load it into a pistol..... People have been arrested in New Hampshire (past 2-3 years) for having a pistol on them (no magazine in them) and the magazine on their passenger seat.

HB 0330 Passed the House and went to the Senate for review. I sent a letter to my senator, Sanborn, to try to have the incorporation of USC Title 18, Section 922 remove. Let's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    HB 0330 Passed the House and went to the Senate for review. I sent a letter to my senator, Sanborn, to try to have the incorporation of USC Title 18, Section 922 remove. Let's hope.
    It was already removed, on the floor of the House before passage.

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_sta...mber=hb330&q=1

I really wish they would update the text on the website more often, like daily. it is impossible to keep up with the changes if they take several days to post them.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Think that you need to update your setting to instance email notification - any delay is NOT the site's problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.