• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utilikilts

()pen(arry

I'm a customer and long-time fan of the company. I just spent last weekend running the Utilikilts booth at the North Texas Irish Festival with Krash, the founder and owner of the company. Krash and I helped multiple people (cops and non-cops) who were carrying try on kilts, and he didn't bat an eye or saying anything about it.

I searched these forums and found a few references to an old thread that does not appear to have been imported into the new forums talking about Utilikilts being anti-gun. Is there a way to see this thread?

In any case, I don't see the personal and corporate views of the company being a good reason not to patronize the company that makes the best daily-wear alternative kilt. Every one of us buys products from companies that hold views we'd find reprehensible. Why are some people unable to disconnect their purchase decisions from the views of the companies making the products they buy? It's not like Utilikilts has actively opposed handgun carry, so what's with the misguided boycott?

Texas looks like it has a very good chance of passing OC this year. I'll be OC'ing with my Utilikilts come September 1 (assuming it does pass). I'd encourage anyone who wants to wear an alternative kilt to buy the original (and still hands-down the best). What does it matter what Krash and Johnny and Jenneviere think about guns?

Dreamer

If someone doesn't support 2A rights, then supporting their business supports their lifestyle, and I for one don't want to offer financial support to someone who doesn't support my 2A rights.

I've never owned a UtiliKilt, but have seriously considered buying a few. They are well-made, comfy, and VERY utilitarian. I do own a few SportsKilts, which are a little more "flashy" being made of plaid material (rather than the rugged canvas of the UtiliKilts). But I had planned to buy a UtiliKilt or two in the future.

I've never heard anything about them being anti-gun. If they are, I won't buy their products. If they support our rights, I will gladly write them a big fat check in the future, because I have always been VERY impressed with the quality of their products. Plus, they are made in the USA!

HandyHamlet

Every one of us buys products from companies that hold views we'd find reprehensible.

uhhh. Speak for yourself.

I enjoy nothing better than voting with my dollar.*
I absolutely bar products from my humble abode too. The list grows longer every day.

*(Except for signing that recall petition for my dipsh$t runaway Dem today. I still have a boner. Good thing I'm not in an awesome Utilikilt. How could they be anti-gun anyway? I didn't think they had a storefront?)

()pen(arry

How could they be anti-gun anyway? I didn't think they had a storefront?

They have two, now. The first is in Seattle, and the second just opened a few weeks ago in San Francisco. Honestly, I have no idea what's in that thread that claims they're anti-gun. The thread isn't viewable.

Everything about the Utilikilts product is American. That includes the cloth, the thread, the snaps, and the other hardware, with the raw materials for the components coming from the US. Also, of course, they're all made up in Seattle. So you could spend $65 on a cheap knock-off made in Pakistan or China, and have a low-quality product that looks cheap and will fade and wear out in a few years. Or you could spend the money on the real deal and get the best product available. Do you skimp on your guns and carry gear? :)

Last edited:

Dreamer

They have two, now. The first is in Seattle, and the second just opened a few weeks ago in San Francisco. Honestly, I have no idea what's in that thread that claims they're anti-gun. The thread isn't viewable.

Maybe it's because they have their only two brick-and-mortar stores in two of the most frothingly anti-2A cities in the country...

I doubt there is a lot of social acceptance for OC in Frisco, regardless of how a particular merchant feels.

They need a store in Raleigh NC, or Richmond VA or some other pro-2A locale. I know dozens of dudes out here in the East who own and wear Utilikilts, and would like nothing better than being able to buy them in person, rather than blindly through the internet.

Once it warms up again, I plan to sport a kilt to a few OC events myself...

If only they made 1911 grips in plaid...:banana:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I never thought I'd read about Utilikilts on this site, or any kilt-wearing, for that matter.

Glad to hear it! I'm half Scotch-Irish. I definately enjoy letting the boys breath.