• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incident in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg

ABNinfantryman

I'm reposting this here since it happened in Fayetteville. Also, OCed at Quiznos for lunch, the people behind the counter were indifferent, but I was being stared at by a couple near the register. I looked at the guy and the gave the quick head tilt back to say "sup" and he quickly looked away.

My wife and I come from two different worlds, I grew up in the south around firearms, she grew up in Boston and never saw a gun until she met me. My firearms have been a sticking point since we've been married, and every time I purchase a new one I have to hear "Yey, another useless gun." That changed tonight.

We were lounging around our apartment when we heard a pretty nasty argument going on in the parking lot. I went out on our balcony to see what was going on and it seemed to be just some drunk soldier yelling about dumb stuff, as they tend to do. The other guy, he'll be guy from here on, with the drunk was trying to calm him down, but Drunky wouldn't have it until he got into his car. Guy starts trying to convince Drunky to let him drive Drunky home, so I shrug it off as it seems to have calmed down and go back inside.

A couple of minutes later there's a third voice and the yelling has started in earnest again so I go out and look again. This time there's a third dude ("Dude") who's trying to talk Drunky down, but this apparently agitates Drunky even more and the shirts come off. A security guard who got off shift pulls into the lot and starts to intervene, she gets in between Drunky and Dude and tells them to stop and seperate. As Dude grabs his shirt off the ground Drunky punches Dude in the face and the guard pushes Drunky away from Dude. Dude starts walking back into the building and I ask him if he's alright and if he wants me to call the cops, he says he's fine and walks into his apartment.

Guard tells Drunky she doesn't know who he is but he needs to leave now, he throws some nasty words at her and gets back in his car. Guy's still trying to convince Drunky to let him drive him home as Drunky keeps saying "F You, I F'ing hate all of you." Another neighbor, call him Alpha, comes downstairs to see what's going on. Then Drunky says "You know what, F' YOU" and I see him lean across his car through the back window and grab something. Next thing anyone knows Drunky's got a foot long knife in Guy's face and starts to wave it around going from Guy to the guard to Alpha. I ran into the bedroom and grabbed my Glock 21 and headed downstairs while telling the wife to call 911.

I've got my Glock at the low ready as I come down stairs and head to the group telling Guy and Alpha to move out of the way. The guard sprays Drunky in the face with riot mace and he somehow manages to get in his car and starts it. Alpha sees my wife on the balcony and yells out the license plate number as I move around five feet from the front drivers side of the car, just off set so if he tried to gun forward I could move out of the way, and yell for him to get out of the car. Guy starts his car and moves it behind Drunky's car blocking him in. We yell for him to get out of the car, realizing he couldn't go anywhere he gets out of his car. As he got out I had my sights at center mass quickly checking his hands for the knife which he'd left in the car so I lowered my weapon as Alpha and Guy move in. Dude shows back up and Drunky moves into the middle of the street. The guard grabs her cuffs and tells him to get on the ground, when he refuses I yell at him to get on the ground and Dude takes him down from behind kicking the back of his knee. Once on the ground they get the cuffs on and pull him to the curb.

As everyone catches their breath I stuck the gun in my pocket with the butt visible (left the holster upstairs) and the cops begin to show up. The first cop asks, directing toward Drunky, "Is this the guy with the knife?" and everyone says yes. Then he asked who had the gun, I said I do, he asked where it's at and I lifted my shirt more and turned my hip toward him. He said to let him see it and asked what it was, I told him it was a Glock21 .45 as he pulls it from my pocket, he walks ten feet away, clears it, and sets it to the side. He asked me why I had it, told him I saw Drunky pull the knife from upstairs so I grabbed my gun and came downstairs to help. He talked to the senior officer on scene and had me walk away from the group to give me the glock back and told me to take it back upstairs. I did so and went back down and gave my full statement. They took down my information and told me to have a nice night.

When I got back upstairs the wife was waiting and hugged me. "And that's why I carry, because a situation can go from bad to worse in the blink of an eye." In her defense, this was the first time she had seen a situation like that and made her realize they're not as rare as she thought. She said she'll never question my carrying and my shooting hobby again, so I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

muccione

This story smells fishy

Why would you even get involved? Call 911 and be the best witness. Your actions could have escalated the situation..

A security guard carrying cuffs? VERY rare in NC.. NC has NO citizens arrest... Putting cuffs on someone and moving them in NC is KIDNAPPING... ONLY LEOs can arrest..

Using you body to block a drunk in a car is STUPID.... Its a good way to have another widow running around Fayetteville looking for another man...

I call BULL$HIT.....

And thanks for your service ABNinfantryman
I lived in the NAM for 10 years... I still have a Brother that lives there now...

cricketdad

This story smells fishy

Why would you even get involved? Call 911 and be the best witness. Your actions could have escalated the situation..

A security guard carrying cuffs? VERY rare in NC.. NC has NO citizens arrest... Putting cuffs on someone and moving them in NC is KIDNAPPING... ONLY LEOs can arrest..

Using you body to block a drunk in a car is STUPID.... Its a good way to have another widow running around Fayetteville looking for another man...

I call BULL$HIT.....

I lived in the NAM for 10 years... I still have a Brother that lives there now...

If it is BS, it's very similar to one written up in the local rag awhile ago.

ABNinfantryman

Escalated the situation? He was trying to stab three people with a foot long knife, how much further could it have escalated? Deadly intent had been clearly made.

Not if she's a post security guard, and kidnapping moving him from the middle of a road ten feet to a curb? Yeah, I'd like to see the prosecution argue that one. Furthermore, as the attacker was a soldier and three of the people who detained him were NCOs, we have a right/duty to do so.

I wasn't blocking him, I was standing five feet to the driver's side front away from the path of the vehicle for that very reason.

I call BULL$HIT.....

More to my reasoning here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...he-liberal-Bostonian-wife-learned-why-I-carry

I have the case number as well, but I'm not posting it here.

Likewise. You guys got a raw deal and I always thank Nam vets for their service when I see them.

muccione

I didn't mean to offend you.. I have seen several post here that just didn't seem right...

FT.Bragg is federal property... Things done on a military base are done WAY different.

So this happened on Bragg or in Fayetteville?

A post security guard has no arrest rights off post... Just because the police didn't charge her doesn't mean her actions were legal.. The police just used discretion. Had she just stopped and cuffed a guy and moved him to the side of the road, It would be kidnapping... If drunky pushed the issue (probably not b/c he was drunk and stupid) she could get charged.

If this happened off post... How would you know drunky was a solider? How would you know you have a duty/right to get involved? You can run around and do as you please with your firearm but IMO wouldn't recommend it.

When I said NAM...I meant FayetteNAM... Not vietnam...

sultan62

NC has no citizen's arrest, but you are allowed to detain per the following statute:

§ 15A‑404. Detention of offenders by private persons. said:
(a) No Arrest; Detention Permitted. – No private person may arrest another person except as provided in G.S. 15A‑405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

(b) When Detention Permitted. – A private person may detain another person when he has probable cause to believe that the person detained has committed in his presence:

(1) A felony,

(2) A breach of the peace,

(3) A crime involving physical injury to another person, or

(4) A crime involving theft or destruction of property.

(c) Manner of Detention. – The detention must be in a reasonable manner considering the offense involved and the circumstances of the detention.

(d) Period of Detention. – The detention may be no longer than the time required for the earliest of the following:

(1) The determination that no offense has been committed.

(2) Surrender of the person detained to a law‑enforcement officer as provided in subsection (e).

(e) Surrender to Officer. – A private person who detains another must immediately notify a law‑enforcement officer and must, unless he releases the person earlier as required by subsection (d), surrender the person detained to the law‑enforcement officer. (1973, c. 1286, s. 1.)

Smith45acp

I think you handled things perfectly.

Furthermore, your account is detailed in the important parts, and after reading it I understood exactly what happened. A lot of people are terrible about leaving copious unanswered questions in the wake of a meandering storyline riddled with digressions.

So thanks for not doing that.