Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asked to leave US Bank in Sumner (while OC'ing)

Asked to leave US Bank in Sumner (while OC'ing)

'bout an hour ago I walked into Sumner branch to cash my paycheck
    teller noticed the gun, didn't say anything at first, asked for id and the thumbprint (I don't have an account there) and then says ok, i'll be right back and walked into a back office
    out she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
    me: no
    mgr: you cant be in a financial institution and have a firearm on you unless you are a police officer
    me: state constitution says that i can carry in any place that is accessible to general public except schools and gov't buildings . . .
    mgr: we've looked it up on internet - you can't carry in a bank
    me: i'm sorry, but you should have signs at the front door saying that firearms are not allowed if you don't want them inside
    mgr: i will make that suggestion to the upper management but for now i'm gonna ask you to step out and wait outside, we will bring the money out to you
    me: ok
    so i walk out and wait in the car, thinking oh crap, i bet they are gonna call the cops. both the teller and the manager came out a few minutes later and handed me the money and my id and off i went

that is weird, i've been to auburn branch OC'ing a few times, been to BofA and nobody ever said anything
    is there anyone at the upper level that i can write to to find out what is up with them?

Centurion
    So, they somehow felt the need to have you OUT of the building because you were armed YET they are willing to take the risk of going outside with a fair amount of cash to a guy that they know to be armed, sitting in a car, and OUT OF SECURITY CAMERA view (at least the INSIDE cameras).
    Did you ask them the specific law they referenced that let them know you were in violation of the law?
    And they said?

Just stupid!
    Not you, THEM!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 03-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.

This sounds like a good teaching opportunity. Send out a letter to corporate explaing what happened. A quick phone call or letter to the manage might help. I am not sure what US Bank policy is but if he is wrong, someone will let him know.

kenzmad

In SOME States the Mgr. is correct. Washington, however, is not one of those.

There's no information more dangerous than Mis-Information.

The Mgr if Full of Crap so that gives you an indication that that bank isn't one to have an account in.

At least the Morons at the one (and only) Bank I do business with understand that you can carry in Washington.

Maybe it was your "non-customer" (no account) status that made them antsy.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post

Maybe it was your "non-customer" (no account) status that made them antsy.
    I don't even have my own bank account and have cashed checks at others banks with no problems. Even the local US Bank.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by movingviolation View Post
    <snip> she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
    mgr: you cant be in a financial institution and have a firearm on you unless you are a police officer
    This statement is patently false. AND the bank manager knows it is false.

Private armed guards transfer money to and from banks each and every day and they are not police officers.
    Live Free or Die!

While at my branch ...

I was visiting my US Bank branch that I've frequented for over 9 years. I was OC and filling out paperwork. After about 20 minutes she looks at me and her eyes BUGGED out.

"Cover that up!"
    "I've been carrying open since I arrived."
    "You're scaring my customers"

I didn't cover up, being as I was carrying sterile and doing so would be illegal. Nothing else was said about it but this is the first time. Is US Bank starting a new policy?

I wanted to add my experience. This happened this week!

Jim will jump in Soon. He can show you a picture of him in US Bank OC in front of the teller.
    He can also supply you of that bank managers name cause he is pro OC

I talked to a customer service from us bank today and they told me its" just general knowledge that you don,t carry a gun into a bank, it would cause panic" I asked him if it was corporate policy and he said i,m sure it is I then asked him to send me a copy of the policy and he hmmmd and hawed and told me I would have to email corporate headquarters so I am a waiting their reply. Will post it when and if I get it.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

My experiences with US bank were somewhat less than pleasant. Feel free to read my original thread about it:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ind-a-new-bank!

Never did get an actual corporate policy out of them though. Therefore I don't think it exists, or it's up to managers discretion. Maybe you'll have better luck than me though at getting corporate to respond.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

i come to that bank not very often, i usually go to Auburn branch
    i dont think me being non-customer had a whole lot to do with it, they get $5 per each cashed check (i had 2 of those) if i had an account that would be free
    i dont think i was doing anything to spook them, i kept my hands on the counter in teller's view all the time etc.
    now that i remember i believe i OC'ed in that branch once back in the early fall last year and they didnt say anything and i'm sure they noticed it 'cause it was a full size 1911 in a OWB kydex holster, it was sticking out quite a bit
    I'd like to get to the bottom of it (their corp. policy that is)
    who can i write?

oh, and i dont have a bank account anywhere, i cash&carry
    after having a chance to pay off all the debt of credit cards and car loan i closed everything down, been doing ok with just cashing my checks and keeping the money in my pocket
    i love it - i never spend more than i have . . . literally

Though it might be policy in the Manager's mind, I seriously doubt corporate would have him delivery money to a guy in a car in the parking lot.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to call ahead and say 'I have a gun I will be open carrying. If you prefer you can bring me my money out to the car in the parking lot...no, I don't have an account there', LOL.

or.................

turn to the manager and point to the customer wearing the vest, sweater, untucked shirt, purse, etc......

"One in 20 adults in Washington have a concealed firearm, are you going to do their banking in the parking lot too?"

on a side note: Are you younger? What were you wearing? Did your firearm/holster contrast with your clothing? Do you have piercings/tattoos that are visible?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by movingviolation
    they get $5 per each cashed check (i had 2 of those)
    been doing ok with just cashing my checks and keeping the money in my pocket
    Except for the fact that you don't have a ten dollar bill to spend cause you spent it cashing the checks. Get the account and then cut up the debit card and free checks they give you. That way you can cash the check and then have the $5 per checkcashed for a beer or Starbucks coffee.
    Last edited by amlevin; 03-11-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    turn to the manager and point to the customer wearing the vest, sweater, untucked shirt, purse, etc......

"One in 20 adults in Washington have a concealed firearm, are you going to do their banking in the parking lot too?"

on a side note: Are you younger? What were you wearing? Did your firearm/holster contrast with your clothing? Do you have piercings/tattoos that are visible?
    i'm 34
    well, i usually shave my head and let it grow to about 1/4 inch and repeat
    i wear glasses sometimes (today i did)
    i was wearing blue jeans, black t-shirt that said END THE FED (ya'll can give me hell for this)
    black leather owb holster and SS Kimber Pro Carry with black grips, kydex double mag holder on the left side with SS magazines in it, wallet, checks and cell phone in (left)hand, that is it
    Last edited by movingviolation; 03-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Except for the fact that you don't have a ten dollar bill to spend cause you spent it cashing the checks. Get the account and then cut up the debit card and free checks they give you. That way you can cash the check and then have the $5 per checkcashed for a beer or Starbucks coffee.
    i know i loose money this way, i cash checks like this every week
    just while going trough divorse ex tried to garnish my bank account and i barely made it before she did, somehow bank got the letter of intent way after i did, hehehe
    i just dont trust them, i'd rather pay a little bit

Loose does not rhyme with choose, but with moose.

Just sayin'...

hahaha, i noticed it right after i posted it but was too lazy to edit

'bout an hour ago I walked into Sumner branch to cash my paycheck
    teller noticed the gun, didn't say anything at first, asked for id and the thumbprint (I don't have an account there) and then says ok, i'll be right back and walked into a back office
    out she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
    me: state constitution says that i can carry in any place that is accessible to general public except schools and gov't buildings . . .
    mgr: we've looked it up on internet - you can't carry in a bank
    me: i'm sorry, but you should have signs at the front door saying that firearms are not allowed if you don't want them inside
    mgr: i will make that suggestion to the upper management but for now i'm gonna ask you to step out and wait outside, we will bring the money out to you
    me: ok
    so i walk out and wait in the car, thinking oh crap, i bet they are gonna call the cops. both the teller and the manager came out a few minutes later and handed me the money and my id and off i went

that is weird, i've been to auburn branch OC'ing a few times, been to BofA and nobody ever said anything
    is there anyone at the upper level that i can write to to find out what is up with them?
    Well, you are both wrong, it is legal to carry in a bank as provided for in RCW 9.41.300 and not as you suggest, the Washington State Constitution Article 1 Section 24 which only restricts our legislatures, not citizens from restriction firearms.

Art 1 Sec 24 The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.
    RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption provides for the State to regulate the entire field of firearms regulation and with that RCW 9.41.300 restricts possession in certain places, banks not being one of them but as a Store Manager or Representative can restrict possession, like it or not.

Writing to cooperate by all means but get your ducks in order first as to outlining what laws that are really in play here.

All we can say from this experience is that this is one place that restrict firearms carry and well lack an informed position on the subject.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Loose does not rhyme with choose, but with moose.

Just sayin'...

What are you doing there with that captive moose and that bottle of whiskey while you should be working!?

Loose the moose and lose the booze!!!
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-12-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    i'm 34

i was wearing blue jeans, black t-shirt that said END THE FED (ya'll can give me hell for this)
    I'll give ya props for that shirt it needs to be ended.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

US Bank

I sent a request for a copy of the corporate policy regarding open carry in their bank and recieved this as A reply:

Thank you for allowing U.S. Bank to assist you in your inquiry.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Although a state will allow you to carry handgun legally.
    Branches are private property; therefore, we choose to not allow individuals to possess weapons on our property.
    This is for the security of our customers and employees. We hope you understand our reasoning.

Thank you for allowing U.S. Bank the opportunity to assist you through our online services.

Sincerely,

Hnub Chang
    Email Operations
    U.S. Bank 24-Hour Banking and Financial Sales
    Last edited by 1911er; 03-12-2011 at 05:31 PM.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I sent a request for a copy of the corporate policy regarding open carry in their bank and recieved this as A reply:

Thank you for allowing U.S. Bank to assist you in your inquiry.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Although a state will allow you to carry handgun legally.
    Branches are private property; therefore, we choose to not allow individuals to possess weapons on our property.
    This is for the security of our customers and employees. We hope you understand our reasoning.

Thank you for allowing U.S. Bank the opportunity to assist you through our online services.

Sincerely,

Hnub Chang
    Email Operations
    U.S. Bank 24-Hour Banking and Financial Sales

And there you have it. The choice is now whether to Bank there or not.

not, not ,not

DEMAND IT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast