• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are the peaks of otter in a state park or national park?

Shpoa86

Evening everyone. Are the peaks of otter in a state park or national park? I have heard that if you are not careful, you can cross lines from national to state without knowing. With that in mind, has anyone had problems oc there? I read that national parks follow state laws, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

t33j

Without doing some investigating I'm not sure. CC and OC are no longer prohibited in National Parks or State Parks so if the only option is one of the two it doesn't much matter. The state and national forest part is where I have to keep looking it up.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Peaks of Otter are National Park Service lands, however it is surrounded by Jefferson National Forest. I have never found a really good map of the dividing lines. I have hiked in the area and been told I was in the National Forest sometime and not even having gone far, but in another spot I went a long way and never left the National Park.

Telephone Numbers for Peaks of Otter: Visitor Center & Ranger Station -- 540 586 4357

Armed

Blue Ridge Parkway

Peaks of Otter are National Park Service lands, however it is surrounded by Jefferson National Forest. I have never found a really good map of the dividing lines. I have hiked in the area and been told I was in the National Forest sometime and not even having gone far, but in another spot I went a long way and never left the National Park.

Yes, the Peaks of Otter is National Park Service (NPS) lands, and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is mostly a narrow easement that runs the length of the parkway, from Afton Mtn in Virginia, over 400 miles south to Ashville, NC. Periodically, the parkway NPS lands broadens to include additional recreational areas, such as the scenic Peaks of Otter. Most of the trails around the peaks are within NPS boundaries.

If you really want to get an idea of the boundaries between national park and national forest, you will need to get a USGS topo map. The boundaries are well marked on the topo maps, and typically, the park service maintains good boundary markings along their property lines.

Hope that helps..