• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Permit and Open Carry

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I was at a gun store yesterday here in Twin and was talking to a sales guy about holsters and what not. He said he never open carries because he has a concealed permit and said that in most states, you cannot open carry if you have a conceal license.

He knew a lot about guns, but this seems a bit out there to me. I have been a lot of reading and even updating a friend of mine that is a sheriff, that it is ok for me drop my kids off at school when I have a gun. He still thinks it is against Idaho law to get within the 1000 foot fish in a barrel zone.

I know this isn't a forum or lawyers, but do any of you have input on this?

Looks like everyone has covered the law, code and cites...

If you have a driver's license does that mean you can no longer walk or ride a bike buy you have to drive everywhere.....

Zhukov

The biggest issue is that in some states they do have funky restrictions like the question presented by the OP.

Luckily more and more states are coming more in line with states like Idaho.

Need more supportive business owners

The cops I have met in Meridian have all been supportive of the 2A individually.

So far, I have seen four guys OC'ing in my restaurant over the last week. One lady CWP carrier claimed her discount as well. One guy I noticed after he sat down and was halfway through his meal. He indicated he didn't come there to eat for the discount but because he wanted to try the food and had heard that it was 2A-friendly there.

Looking forward to seeing a good trurnout at the meeting on the 21st!

@ ecocks - I'm new to the forum, and new to Idaho. I'll be taking a trip to check out Idaho in a few weeks with the hopes of moving there eventually. It's really great to see business owners supporting our rights! We would love to have a meal in your restaurant to show our support while were in the area. Just need to know where to go...

Zhukov

@ ecocks - I'm new to the forum, and new to Idaho. I'll be taking a trip to check out Idaho in a few weeks with the hopes of moving there eventually. It's really great to see business owners supporting our rights! We would love to have a meal in your restaurant to show our support while were in the area. Just need to know where to go...

Wild Bill's Barbeque
1551 West Cherry Lane Suite 102
Meridian, ID 83642

ecocks

Thanks Z!

Look forward to seeing any and all of you whenever you're in the mood for Q.

We get a lot of cops and both OC and CC 2A supporters through here as word has spread about our policy of support and the discount.

Ed

1911er

must conceal if have A ccw

I was at a gun store yesterday here in Twin and was talking to a sales guy about holsters and what not. He said he never open carries because he has a concealed permit and said that in most states, you cannot open carry if you have a conceal license.

He knew a lot about guns, but this seems a bit out there to me. I have been a lot of reading and even updating a friend of mine that is a sheriff, that it is ok for me drop my kids off at school when I have a gun. He still thinks it is against Idaho law to get within the 1000 foot fish in a barrel zone.

I know this isn't a forum or lawyers, but do any of you have input on this?

That's like saying if you have A drivers license you cant walk anywhere. Makes no fu%&#@# sense at all.

None2Slow

I was out riding on my motorcyle yesterday. About a mile from home when a Sherrif pulled up next to me at a light. His window was down. He asked what that was on my hip and I told him "Springfield XD compact .45". He says, "Nice choice, be safe" and turned right. Thats the only encounter I have had with LEO since I started to open carry.

oldbanger

...There is still the archaic and unconstitutional (via case law) federal prohibition against it, renewed after the constitutional defeat, but local law enforcement does not have the authority to charge or enforce federal law. Accordingly, the only folks who could cite/charge/arrest you for having a firearm present in your car while picking up or dropping off someone at school are the feds...

Does not apply if you have a CWL

"Title 18 U.S.C §922(q) The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 States:

...does not apply to the possession of a firearm...

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act