Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I have a loaded magazine while open carrying in NC?

Can I have a loaded magazine while open carrying in NC?

Recently bought a handgun and was wondering if it was legal for me to OC with a loaded magazin, as long as a round wasn't chambered. I mean, it would be pointless to carry around a gun that didn't have bullets in it, right?

NC doesn't care if its loaded or not...

I OC with a full and 1 in the pipe... Chambered and ready... All I have to do is pull the trigger and rounds fly...
    And I have a spare mag for back up...

Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    NC doesn't care if its loaded or not...

I OC with a full and 1 in the pipe... Chambered and ready... All I have to do is pull the trigger and rounds fly...
    And I have a spare mag for back up...
    +1
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by RPJ View Post
    Recently bought a handgun and was wondering if it was legal for me to OC with a loaded magazin, as long as a round wasn't chambered. I mean, it would be pointless to carry around a gun that didn't have bullets in it, right?
    this isn't California, you can lock and load in this wonderful state.

please don't take this the wrong way, this is just my opinion, but carrying an unloaded gun is unsafe and idiotic! (if there isn't 1 in the chamber, its unloaded) you might as well just carry a brick around with you.

my "Sarah" carries 13 +1 of .45 federal hydra shock, and I never leave home without her.

All the above posts are correct.

In NC, you can carry a gun loaded--and I mean LOADED--as in, a full magazine AND a round in the chamber with the hammer cocked and safety on.

And many of us DO...

You can also carry as many extra loaded mags as you wish. I usually carry one extra, but sometimes--when I'm REALLY "putting on the dog" (like at a Rally, or at a big OC Dinner event) I'll carry two spares, because I have a matching set of two mag carriers and a Serpa holster in Coyote Tan (probably the only such Serpa set in the region...) and I like to show it off...

A gun that is not loaded is just a VERY expensive (and heavy) piece of "belt jewelry"...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Also, carry how you train. If you are in California, or most UOC for some other reason, you should have extensive practice drawing your handgun with one hand, a magazine with the other, seating the magazine, and racking the slide. It should be second nature.

You should also be able to do this one handed, with either hand. This makes UOC ridiculously disadvantageous.

Similarly, if you carry without a round chambered, you should constantly practice drawing and racking the slide when at the range; otherwise, in a SD situation, you are likely to draw, pull the trigger, and hear the loudest 'click' of your life. Again, be able to do this one handed. Yeah, difficult, right?

That's why many, and probably the vast majority of us, carry with a round chambered. If you end up having to draw, you can be ready to fire one handed, and quicker than if a round is not chambered.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Thanks everyone for the information. Makes me more comfortable to OC now.

Put me with the +1 and extra mag crowd.

I agree the XDM 16 plus 1..Chambering a round is one of the most likely times a gun will jam.....IMO.......

One thing I want to stress is the misconception about extra mags that a lot of newbies (and non-gun or anti-gun people) have...

We don't carry extra mags because we want a TON of firepower. My Para Ordnance S-14.45 holds 14+1. I carry an extra mag. Not because I think I'll ever be in a situation where I NEED 29 rounds of 230grain .45acp HydraShoks (in fact I PRAY that I NEVER find myself in a situation like that), but because extra mags are for the more effective and speedy clearing of malfunctions.

If, at any point in a magazine, I get a misfire or FTF or some other malfunction, I'll run through a "Tap-Rack-Bang" operation, and HOPEFULLY that fixes the problem. But if for some reason it doesn't, I'm dropping that mag, and inserting a new one and starting from scratch.

Because that's how I was taught, and that's how I train...

Spare mags are often the quickest and most effective way to deal with most feed/fire/ejection-related malfunctions. That's why we carry spare mags...

The fact is, if you need more than 6 rounds in a situation, you probably "brung the wrong pardner to the hoe-down", and you SHOULD be using a 12ga shotgun, or a rifle...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Agreed. If one magazine isn't enough ammo, I'm using it to get myself to a safe location. The primary reason for carrying an extra magazine is in case of malfunction.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

The fact is, if you need more than 6 rounds in a situation, you probably "brung the wrong pardner to the hoe-down", and you SHOULD be using a 12ga shotgun, or a rifle... [/QUOTE]

IIRC Clint Black said a handgun is for fighting your way back to the rifle you should have brung with you to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Agreed. If one magazine isn't enough ammo, I'm using it to get myself to a safe location. The primary reason for carrying an extra magazine is in case of malfunction.
    Lies!

The primary reason for carrying an extra magazine is to look cool. Plus, you can show people the latest manly rounds you use without dropping your magazine that's inside the gun.

What's all this talk about practicability and utility, anyway?

I ran that quote by an old buddy with infantry training who enlightened me as to the remainder of the quote. "A hand gun is just a tool that you use to fight your way back to your rifle (which you should never have abandoned in the first place) which you use as a tool to fight your way back to your crew served weapon." US Army wisdom?? Who would a thunk it???

I carry extra mag for firepower... Zombie control.... My XD only holds 9+1...

And it does look COOL....

condition 1 in the holster, condition 0 in my hand...FMJ on standbye if its needed

I thought it was to keep your pants from sagging to one side. YOu know, even out the weight a bit. I am........

Batman. lol

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I thought it was to keep your pants from sagging to one side. YOu know, even out the weight a bit. I am........

Batman. lol
    I actually did this before I got a gun belt.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

as for states that allow regulation of guns to be unloaded (like commiefornia/ organ, i know how their spelled ) it is idiotic to carry unloaded but not pointless cause you are still pushing for you 2a rights and your visual shock and aww reminds people that we do have rights that needs exercising and it is still a foot on the pathway to the change of law towards oc loaded, and every bit helps here's an example just take five years ago in kali, if you was walking down the street with oc unloaded you would probally get swat ,heilos, news crews all over ya just a spazzing out , now today , due to oc unloaded you don't have much of a spaz. maybe oc unloaded is not good for crime situtations but it has really toned down the spaz factor.

Condition 1 8+1 230gr GDHP +1 mag

Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
    as for states that allow regulation of guns to be unloaded (like commiefornia/ organ, i know how their spelled ) it is idiotic to carry unloaded but not pointless cause you are still pushing for you 2a rights and your visual shock and aww reminds people that we do have rights that needs exercising and it is still a foot on the pathway to the change of law towards oc loaded, and every bit helps here's an example just take five years ago in kali, if you was walking down the street with oc unloaded you would probally get swat ,heilos, news crews all over ya just a spazzing out , now today , due to oc unloaded you don't have much of a spaz. maybe oc unloaded is not good for crime situtations but it has really toned down the spaz factor.

I love the fact that I live in an open carry state. Though some of the local LEO may not. 1 hot 15 in the mag GLOCK 21sf, and its just to get me to the real tools.

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    this isn't California, you can lock and load in this wonderful state.

please don't take this the wrong way, this is just my opinion, but carrying an unloaded gun is unsafe and idiotic! (if there isn't 1 in the chamber, its unloaded) you might as well just carry a brick around with you.

my "Sarah" carries 13 +1 of .45 federal hydra shock, and I never leave home without her.
    I would suggest reconsidering the federal hydra shocks. Take a look at http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm. Under the manufacturer section you can read about the hydra shocks.

I carry federal hst 230g in my Springfield xd .45 compact and Speer gold dot 147g in my xd 9mm subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    carrying an unloaded gun is unsafe and idiotic! (if there isn't 1 in the chamber, its unloaded)
    +1. Carrying a brick on a holster everywhere may be more effective than carrying an unloaded, finely shaped chunk of metal.
    It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

In my case with a revolver,(black powder) I leave the hammer on an empty chamber for safety, the other five are loaded. .454 diameter ball and 30 grains of fffg. Shouldn't ever need more than that. When I get my Navy Colt convertered to cartridge I'll follow the same practice. I agree with others here, unloaded is belt jewelery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast