• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I have a loaded magazine while open carrying in NC?

CDT COX

as for states that allow regulation of guns to be unloaded (like commiefornia/ organ, i know how their spelled ) it is idiotic to carry unloaded but not pointless cause you are still pushing for you 2a rights and your visual shock and aww reminds people that we do have rights that needs exercising and it is still a foot on the pathway to the change of law towards oc loaded, and every bit helps here's an example just take five years ago in kali, if you was walking down the street with oc unloaded you would probally get swat ,heilos, news crews all over ya just a spazzing out , now today , due to oc unloaded you don't have much of a spaz. maybe oc unloaded is not good for crime situtations but it has really toned down the spaz factor.

;)

MadGunner420

I love the fact that I live in an open carry state. Though some of the local LEO may not. 1 hot 15 in the mag GLOCK 21sf, and its just to get me to the real tools.:p

spiderjohn

this isn't California, you can lock and load in this wonderful state.

please don't take this the wrong way, this is just my opinion, but carrying an unloaded gun is unsafe and idiotic! (if there isn't 1 in the chamber, its unloaded) you might as well just carry a brick around with you.

my "Sarah" carries 13 +1 of .45 federal hydra shock, and I never leave home without her.

I would suggest reconsidering the federal hydra shocks. Take a look at http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm. Under the manufacturer section you can read about the hydra shocks.

I carry federal hst 230g in my Springfield xd .45 compact and Speer gold dot 147g in my xd 9mm subcompact.

cap-n-ball

In my case with a revolver,(black powder) I leave the hammer on an empty chamber for safety, the other five are loaded. .454 diameter ball and 30 grains of fffg. Shouldn't ever need more than that. When I get my Navy Colt convertered to cartridge I'll follow the same practice. I agree with others here, unloaded is belt jewelery.

MadGunner420

Shimmer

I love the fact that I live in an open carry state. Though some of the local LEO may not. 1 hot 15 in the mag GLOCK 21sf, and its just to get me to the real tools.:p

As for Hydrashocks, they expand quite well. Just not reliably, when penetrating through heavier clothing. There are a good number of ballistics tests out there to back that. I wouldn't personally use them, as there are others I consider better, like the Zmax, HST, or any other rubber/composite nosed bullets that help to prevent clogging, but they are still and have been effective.

Last edited:

MadGunner420

To be honest I havent heard of this issue with the Hydra shocks, tho I will do some research. I havent looked into the new Zmax by hornady. Isnt that the Zombie defense?

spiderjohn

As for Hydrashocks, they expand quite well. Just not reliably, when penetrating through heavier clothing. There are a good number of ballistics tests out there to back that. I wouldn't personally use them, as there are others I consider better, like the Zmax, HST, or any other rubber/composite nosed bullets that help to prevent clogging, but they are still and have been effective.

From http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm:

In pistol calibers, expanding hollowpoints are preferred to create the largest permanent wound cavity possible. There are a lot of people who pick a load without adequately researching the ammo they trust their life on. The Federal Hydra-Shock is one such example. It was the whiz-bang bullet of its time, but has since been eclipsed by many other bullet designs. The principal weakness of that round are its lack of expansion after passing through clothing.

[snip]

As mentioned earlier, the Hydra-Shocks are not up to par, as is clearly evidenced by this report on the .45 Hydra-Shok on firearmstactical.com. Also note that even when the Hydrashocks do expand, the expanded diameter is very small.

NCBobD

In my case with a revolver,(black powder) I leave the hammer on an empty chamber for safety, the other five are loaded. .454 diameter ball and 30 grains of fffg. Shouldn't ever need more than that. When I get my Navy Colt convertered to cartridge I'll follow the same practice. I agree with others here, unloaded is belt jewelery.

I hate to move off topic but I really gotta ask: Why would you carry an antique firearm for personal self defense? Even when the Navy Colt is converted you're forced to leave on chamber empty for safety and reloading in a SD situation is slow and cumbersome. Enquiring minds want to know.

bc.cruiser

To answer your question...It is 100% illegal to carry and UNloaded gun.:lol:

Neither funny nor correct. NC makes no distinction in the carry of loaded or unloaded firearms. You may carry in any condition you feel is right for you. I believe, as apparently Mr. Hamby does (apologies here if I'm wrong about this), that NOT carrying chambered and cocked is foolish.

MadGunner420

As mentioned earlier, the Hydra-Shocks are not up to par, as is clearly evidenced by this report on the .45 Hydra-Shok on firearmstactical.com. Also note that even when the Hydrashocks do expand, the expanded diameter is very small

That no goo!! Guess I will b doin some homework tonight.