Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Open carry of rifles in california???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Jose, California, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1

    Smile Open carry of rifles in california???

    Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please. I read no laws restricting open carry of say an AK or a GSG-5 so I am assuming this is legal to do at 18 (I know this is probably a horribly dangerous idea but I plan on wearing a ballistic vest underneath my shirt just in case the police overreact and shoot me). How do I go about doing this legally? They don't make long gun holsters so would I HAVE to sling it over my back or could I keep it in front with a 2/3-point tactical sling? Could I just carry it with my hands or would that be brandishing?

    I am located in San Jose btw

    Thank you all in advance for your help in supporting open carry.


    ............--Moderator Comment--
    OCDO is about normalizing legally carried, properly holstered handguns as we go about our everyday lives. Please read the forum rules:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

  2. #2
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by maranello551 View Post
    Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please.
    FORUM RULES

    (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.



    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by maranello551 View Post
    Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please. I read no laws restricting open carry of say an AK or a GSG-5 so I am assuming this is legal to do at 18 (I know this is probably a horribly dangerous idea but I plan on wearing a ballistic vest underneath my shirt just in case the police overreact and shoot me). How do I go about doing this legally? They don't make long gun holsters so would I HAVE to sling it over my back or could I keep it in front with a 2/3-point tactical sling? Could I just carry it with my hands or would that be brandishing?

    I am located in San Jose btw

    Thank you all in advance for your help in supporting open carry.
    looking past the fact that long gun carry is not discussed here, you will need to carry on your back lest you get a brandishing charge. All other rules are the same. Make sure you have a friend recording everything should you attempt this.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    maranello551 - Please feel free to stay and become familiar with OCing a properly holstered handgun in compliance with the laws. Lots of good folks here that are always willing to help.

    You might start here and follow the links:
    http://www.opencarry.org/ca.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Save Our State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Golden State
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    FORUM RULES

    (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.



    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Huh......

    I must have missed that. Sorry to have bothered everyone, and I don't belong here after all

  6. #6
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Our State View Post
    Huh......

    I must have missed that. Sorry to have bothered everyone, and I don't belong here after all
    Not a bother at all! Simply something that the site owners don't want to be an ordinary topic of conversation.

    Stick around and exchange ideas with a bunch of great 2a oriented individuals!

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Sigh. More children with guns...
    Question. Are you the cop that posts on ALOC under a very similar name?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Save Our State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Golden State
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    Not a bother at all! Simply something that the site owners don't want to be an ordinary topic of conversation.

    Stick around and exchange ideas with a bunch of great 2a oriented individuals!
    It is an ordinary topic for me, and I would end up being a nuisance I think.
    I'll check in once in a while, but I think I did not have a clear idea on the agenda here from the start. No harm done.

    Good luck everyone

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Our State View Post
    It is an ordinary topic for me, and I would end up being a nuisance I think.
    I'll check in once in a while, but I think I did not have a clear idea on the agenda here from the start. No harm done.

    Good luck everyone
    Thanks for stopping by. I hope you visit again.

    OC of rifles is a topic that we will eventually have to tackle. I think the owners of OCDO just think it will be a distraction to be starting topics about it while we are still working on universalizing the right to carry handguns openly in holsters.

    You could start ROCDO...

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Assuming I am why is it relevant?
    meh. Answer or don't. Your choice.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by maranello551 View Post
    (I know this is probably a horribly dangerous idea but I plan on wearing a ballistic vest underneath my shirt just in case the police overreact and shoot me)
    Uhhh for the love of whatever you believe in, don't do that. The media's gonna have a field day about a teen in a bullet-proof vest taking on the cops with an assault rifle.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Sigh. More children with guns...
    Moderator deleted personal attack.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •