• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of rifles in california???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maranello551

Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please. I read no laws restricting open carry of say an AK or a GSG-5 so I am assuming this is legal to do at 18 (I know this is probably a horribly dangerous idea but I plan on wearing a ballistic vest underneath my shirt just in case the police overreact and shoot me). How do I go about doing this legally? They don't make long gun holsters so would I HAVE to sling it over my back or could I keep it in front with a 2/3-point tactical sling? Could I just carry it with my hands or would that be brandishing?

I am located in San Jose btw

Thank you all in advance for your help in supporting open carry.

............--Moderator Comment--
OCDO is about normalizing legally carried, properly holstered handguns as we go about our everyday lives. Please read the forum rules:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

mjones

Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please.

FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

pullnshoot25

Alright good people I am new to openly carrying a firearm as I am 18 years of age. Help me out here with the laws on carrying long guns please. I read no laws restricting open carry of say an AK or a GSG-5 so I am assuming this is legal to do at 18 (I know this is probably a horribly dangerous idea but I plan on wearing a ballistic vest underneath my shirt just in case the police overreact and shoot me). How do I go about doing this legally? They don't make long gun holsters so would I HAVE to sling it over my back or could I keep it in front with a 2/3-point tactical sling? Could I just carry it with my hands or would that be brandishing?

I am located in San Jose btw

Thank you all in advance for your help in supporting open carry.

looking past the fact that long gun carry is not discussed here, you will need to carry on your back lest you get a brandishing charge. All other rules are the same. Make sure you have a friend recording everything should you attempt this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
maranello551 - Please feel free to stay and become familiar with OCing a properly holstered handgun in compliance with the laws. Lots of good folks here that are always willing to help.

You might start here and follow the links:
http://www.opencarry.org/ca.html

Save Our State

FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Huh......

I must have missed that. Sorry to have bothered everyone, and I don't belong here after all

mjones

Huh......

I must have missed that. Sorry to have bothered everyone, and I don't belong here after all

Not a bother at all! Simply something that the site owners don't want to be an ordinary topic of conversation.

Stick around and exchange ideas with a bunch of great 2a oriented individuals!

Save Our State

Not a bother at all! Simply something that the site owners don't want to be an ordinary topic of conversation.

Stick around and exchange ideas with a bunch of great 2a oriented individuals!

It is an ordinary topic for me, and I would end up being a nuisance I think.
I'll check in once in a while, but I think I did not have a clear idea on the agenda here from the start. No harm done.

Good luck everyone

eye95

It is an ordinary topic for me, and I would end up being a nuisance I think.
I'll check in once in a while, but I think I did not have a clear idea on the agenda here from the start. No harm done.

Good luck everyone

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you visit again.

OC of rifles is a topic that we will eventually have to tackle. I think the owners of OCDO just think it will be a distraction to be starting topics about it while we are still working on universalizing the right to carry handguns openly in holsters.

You could start ROCDO...

Status
Not open for further replies.