• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jonathon Norris Legal Defense Fund

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wishing and hoping.

Even if he wins he has already been punished. You may beat the rap but you can't beat the ride.

I've written and rewritten a response, but for some reason I keep hearing a small voice in my head saying "Your atorney would be upset if you said that right now."

I'll just try this - there are times when, for certain people, it is worth taking the ride. And I am NOT referring to compensation but to justice. Not everybody wants to be or needs to be a "hero" (me least of all) but sometimes things happen in spite of what we do or don't want.

Jonothan, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you - not that I think you will need that, but then I know how close a call it can be.

stay safe.

sudden valley gunner

I've written and rewritten a response, but for some reason I keep hearing a small voice in my head saying "Your atorney would be upset if you said that right now."

I'll just try this - there are times when, for certain people, it is worth taking the ride. And I am NOT referring to compensation but to justice. Not everybody wants to be or needs to be a "hero" (me least of all) but sometimes things happen in spite of what we do or don't want.

Jonothan, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you - not that I think you will need that, but then I know how close a call it can be.

stay safe.

Good thoughts Skid and I agree, that's why even with small situations I fight it. If we don't take the ride, they win. What do we tell our children when they ask...."why didn't you try to stop it?"

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for putting up the fight too. And wish you all the luck in your ride.

Brimstone Baritone

Thanks, everyone, for the support. [strike]They told Jon that they were too busy to try his case today,[/strike] so they will call him later this week. They're going to call him the day before to let him know he needs to be there. If they can't fit him in this week, they probably won't call another jury pool until January.

This is infuriating on so many levels. I can only imagine what he's going through.

Last edited:

Daylen

Thanks, everyone, for the support. They told Jon that they were too busy to try his case today, so they will call him later this week. They're going to call him the day before to let him know he needs to be there. If they can't fit him in this week, they probably won't call another jury pool until January.

This is infuriating on so many levels. I can only imagine what he's going through.

He opted for a Jury trial? interesting, hopefully he will be tried by people from outside B'ham.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, everyone, for the support. They told Jon that they were too busy to try his case today, so they will call him later this week. They're going to call him the day before to let him know he needs to be there. If they can't fit him in this week, they probably won't call another jury pool until January.

They were too busy to hear his case? Just what kind of justice do they serve up around there?

I can understand calling the case and then recessing the case to another date, but unless Brimstone is just using the wrong words this stinks to high heaven.

stay safe.

Brimstone Baritone

I was on my phone (haven't got around to using tapatalk yet) so I apologize for not wording it better.

They didn't say "We're too busy to try your case today." They told him "We won't get to your case today" and the most likely reason is that they overbooked the docket. Mr. Norris appeared on page 5 of 21 for today's docket, 16 pages of which were scheduled for 9:AM. I'm sure it has something to do with all the Jefferson County budget cutbacks, but apparently they only do jury pools one week a month and don't do one in December. I don't know if Jon is having a jury trial, but I also don't know if they hold court on the weeks they don't have a jury pool available.

Specifically, he was told by his lawyer that he will get a call the night before his case is to be tried, or in the morning if they will handle it that afternoon. The good news is I should have an update, maybe even a verdict, by the end of the week.

I'll do better to pick my words more carefully next time, and hopefully can find out in more detail if this is standard, or if they are giving him the runaround.

Last edited:

Damiansar-15

Trial Date?

And on Friday they postponed it to March. Sorry I didn't post sooner, was a busy weekend.

Did this trial happen yet? I am very interested in this, because a similar open carry situation happened in Wichita, KS where a free citizen was ordered from his house at gun-point and then arrested for reportedly having an openly displayed gun in front of his property. Even if it is proven that he was open carrying; this is completely legal and a recent AG opinion even specifically stated this for the Wichita's head of legal. This citizen's trial is set for April and it would be good to hear positive results on this trial...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/KSAGOpinionPreemption12_2011.pdf

We-the-People

Glad to hear of the end to this but saddened to hear they didn't get a bigger whooping after so much BS they put the LAW ABIDING CITIZEN through.

Consider it just another of the thousand cuts that will eventually destroy the beast.