• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Collective Image

afcarry

Before I begin this story, I need to express how difficult the decision to post this was. I hate being "That Guy" who just seems to think his way of thinking is the only valid thought process and that there are no substitute analogies / schools of thought. But the seriousness of the issue at hand has influenced me to come to the decision to post this discussion in our beloved public forum. I do not mean any disrespect to any individuals, therefore I will use numbers (person3, person2, etc.) rather than names, and I hope the other members who were present will also be respectful enough to keep names excluded as well.

At our last Open Carry meet, we had a pretty good turnout. Lively conversation, good moods, decent food. Some of our members need to feed the cancer habit after a nice plate full of starchy food (guilty). Person1 steps outside with Person2. They are later joined by Person3 and Person4 and Person5. Conversation continues and all seems to be going well. The conversation shifts to holster selection - a hot topic for the night especially since someone keeps bashing Serpas now - and how the subtle differences in frame design may cause difficulty in finding a holster that properly fits any specific weapon. After a subject shift Person3 departs to their vehicle - presumably to take a phone call or something similarly benign. A few moments later this individual (Person3) returns carrying a weapon in his hand, slide locked back, magazine removed, unloaded and generally safe, but "improperly holstered." Person3 rejoined the conversation circle and holds out his Nickel plated 9mm much as one would hold a stack of cookies, palm up open fingers. He was promptly advised by Person1 and Person2 to return the weapon to the vehicle since that would arguably be the image in a textbook under the definition of Brandishing, and the group was unfortunately positioned right in front of the window of the building. After Person3 departs to store his weapon, the group returns to the interior of the building to rejoin the festive conversation.

My intent is not to publicly shame or humiliate any individual, but rather remind everybody that collectively we represent an organized group that supports a very controversial interpretation of an amendment to our constitution. We are constantly aware that anything we do that looks bad in the public's eye will have much attention drawn to it. Since Chiang made this reservation in the name of "Missouri Open Carry" we have tied a label to our presence. Instances like last night's CANNOT be considered acceptable. We have to make every effort to ensure things like this do not happen. Ever. In my personal opinion this was completely irresponsible. There is no excuse or explanation for that situation that can change my mind. This could be detrimental to the entire image of responsible handgun owners. When we have these meets, we need to act in a professional responsible manner. And if we are going to invite new people or friends, great! But make 100% sure that the individual is a responsible and experienced gun owner before bringing them and having the group's name and reputation held responsible for their actions.

Tony4310

Excellent post and I agree 100%. I'm new to OC,but not even I would have done that. 1) I do not care to draw the attention of the law 2) I want the public to become comfortable with OC and 3) That was just a bone headed move.

kcgunfan

Thanks for the post. It's unfortunate that this happened, we really should know better. Thanks for not naming names also, that would not have been helpful. Evidently I wasn't there when it happened, and I don't care to know who it was.

ChiangShih

I was not present when this took place but I was promptly informed of what took place on the ride home. I can not stress how important it is for individuals to know and abide by firearms laws, ESPECIALLY when attending an organization meeting. I understand that this individual was not a regular and was attending the event with someone else, but every other patron and worker within visible range did not know that.

If you are going to bring guests, make damn sure they are knowledgeable and aware of OC, the laws surrounding it, and the fact that when attending our meetings they themselves are representative of the group. If they make a fool of themselves we all look like fools. I'm not against bringing new, interested, and reasonable individuals to meets; however, understand that these meets are a form of community pro-activism and we are under the scrutiny of the public eye. Small thoughtless actions can have large unintended setbacks for our movement.