• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open access to 4473 by FBI

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
They've been coercing this data for decades... I worked for a dealer for several years. The ATF demanded, under threat of losing his license, that he use their logbook software and give them copies of the data every quarter.

I have since never met an FFL who didn't comply with the same.

The registry has been around for a long damn time.

bobthegunslinger

this is part of our partiot act that they just extended!everyone should be enraged and outraged to have this provision in it!pretty much,if people don`t wake up and start complaining;it will continue to be a part of the so called patriot act.

KansasMustang

Continuing saga of how we lost our freedom

Just one more reason for me to stay eternally pissed off. This sort of privacy invasion is totally out of control. Just waiting for the next thing.

Joe Reeser

I have long considered the fact that 4473s even exist as de facto gun registration. law or no law, as soon as the government wants to know who has the guns, what are they gonna do? They're going to run around to all the gun shops and collect those records - assuming they don't have them already. :eek: This is why I try not to buy my firearms from dealers. I do have some, however, that were purchased from dealers so in the end it probably won't make any difference.

Rattrapper

I have long considered the fact that 4473s even exist as de facto gun registration. law or no law, as soon as the government wants to know who has the guns, what are they gonna do? They're going to run around to all the gun shops and collect those records - assuming they don't have them already. :eek: This is why I try not to buy my firearms from dealers. I do have some, however, that were purchased from dealers so in the end it probably won't make any difference.

That reminds me of the scene in Red Dawn where the Cuban commander tell his troops to go to the gun shops and get all the 4473 forms, and then instructs the troops to pick up all the guns.

Last edited:

GeoffD

I once had someone suggest to me that running an ad in the newspaper for those particular weapons purchased at a dealer, saving a copy of the ad as proof, and if ever asked if I was still in posession, state that it was sold by means of cash. End of trail. :banana:

OldCurlyWolf

I once had someone suggest to me that running an ad in the newspaper for those particular weapons purchased at a dealer, saving a copy of the ad as proof, and if ever asked if I was still in posession, state that it was sold by means of cash. End of trail. :banana:

And you just blew ANY CHANCE of it working.:cuss:

therealcombat

Got the following response from Patty Murray:

Patty Murray said:
Dear Mr. Anderson:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001, commonly called the USA PATRIOT Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important subject.

Following the attacks of September 11th, Congress passed the USA PATRIOT Act, which provided law enforcement with numerous new capabilities, including greater investigative powers and stronger prosecution methods. Importantly, this legislation also contained a sunset clause that requires Congress to revisit the USA PATRIOT Act from time to time.

I have voted against subsequent versions of the USA PATRIOT Act, because they continued to give too much power to the Administration without meaningful judicial review. Most recently, in February 2011, I voted against extending three expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act. Despite my objections, Congress passed a three-month extension and will again take up the USA PATRIOT Act in May 2011. Rest assured, I will continue to scrutinize any efforts to expand on the USA PATRIOT Act and the Administration's use of the powers under this bill. While I am committed to giving our intelligence professionals the legitimate tools they need to make America more secure, we must remain vigilant to ensure that neither legislation nor the Administration's actions strip Americans of our fundamental liberties. Our country is a symbol of liberty and freedom because of the rights we guarantee to all citizens. If we limit those rights in an effort to improve our security, we lose far more than any terrorist could take from us.

Again, thank you for contacting me. As the 112th Congress moves forward, I will keep your views in mind.

Sincerely,

Patty Murray
United States Senator

Rattrapper

I don't know if you are aware, But when a gunshop closes the 4473 forms are sent to ATF to be archived. Thus you have registration.

Sc0tt

Isnt this what ahppend in london, they built up a national registry so they know who had them then abnned them all together

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
All of this means nothing. Watch this.

*knock knock*

ATF - we are hear to collect these firearms purchased here on these 4473 forms.

You - I sold them at gun shows to strangers who were eligible to own them in accordance with the law. No paperwork required, no paperwork done.

/conversation

Sc0tt

all of this means nothing. Watch this.

*knock knock*

atf - we are hear to collect these firearms purchased here on these 4473 forms.

You - i sold them at gun shows to strangers who were eligible to own them in accordance with the law. No paperwork required, no paperwork done.

/conversation

lmao!

INSPGAD

Our Government??

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government increases - liberty decreases." Borrowed from Scott Thanx

This is supposed to be OUR Government it is amassing how the Greed has progressed into convincing the sheeple that they are being protected, and taken care of (interesting how many felt that they would be given everything as soon as BHO got office, and how many would fight you to the death if you even mention repealing the Obama health bill, not even realizing the little bit of health care they receive is just a precursor to LOSING all of it in the near future) OUR Government is becoming Our Master right in front of our eyes.