• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Alert - Florida District 3 residents need to contact Sen. Charlie Dean!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Read about the latest Florida open carry poll here: http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/S...y_Law_in_North_Florida_117859789.html?ref=789 (reporting widespread support for open carry in Florida)

And on Monday March 14th, the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice will hold a final hearing on Senator Greg Evers’ SB 234 which would decriminalize the open carry of properly holstered handguns.

Unfortunately, despite the committee’s removal last week of the bill’s provision to legalize gun carry on college campuses, committee member Senator Charles Dean (R – 3d District) is reportedly still on the fence over the open carry bill.

If Dean votes no, SB 234 dies in committee.

But both men and women in Senator Dean’s District support SB 234 by clear margins.

If you live in Senator Dean's district, or know anybody who does, now would be the time for you to email Senator Dean, or get your associates to do so, TODAY.

Sample Email:

To: DEAN.CHARLES.WEB@flsenate.gov

Subject: Please support open carry!

Dear Senator Dean:

Like most of your constituents, I support open carry and urge you to vote for SB 234.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

~*'Phoenix'*~

Done:
Senator Dean,

As one of your constituents and supporters during the last election, I voted for you to be the representative of my voice and concerns for the governance of our state. I am part of that wide margin of District 3 residents, found by the recent Open Market Research survey, who are in favor of SB234. Please listen to our concerns, and support this measure for lawful unrestricted open carry for Florida carry licensees.

The number of people who will open carry in general will be small, but many of us, like you, are avid outdoors enthusiasts, who enjoy not only fishing and hunting, but hiking, kayaking, sailing, cycling, and four-wheeling, instances of rural activities where participants would be both safer and more comfortable having the option to keep a handgun openly holstered, and which would cause no public outcry or concern.

More than 40 other states allow some form of open carry, many even without licensing, and Florida has a very high percentage of lawfully carrying, licensed civilians, who have been statistically and factually proven to be one of the most law-abiding demographics nationwide, in many places on par with law enforcement officials themselves.

We are already some of the most discrete and polite individuals in our society, and our discretion will not wane, whether we individually choose to carry concealed or openly.

As a student, I also support campus carry, but being at a private university, I know my campus will maintain its institutional prohibitions regardless of state law changes, so it will affect me little, if at all, whether campus carry passes or not. Nonetheless I support it, as the gun-free status of campuses has definitely proven ineffective at preventing violent crimes committed by criminals who pay no more heed to this prohibition than they do to the lives of the students, faculty, and staff of the institutions they assault.

Please, support unrestricted licensed open carry. Please, support campus carry. These measures will not be moving our state backward to the wild west as opponents sometimes claim, they will only be catching us up to the many states that already allow open carry, and put us in the lead with the few that allow campus carry, which have seen drastic reductions in violent crime on their campuses since legalizing campus carry.

Sincerely,

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The People have spoken! – Florida strongly supports open carry!

The People have spoken! – Florida strongly supports open carry!

Members and Friends,

Open Market Research, Inc. has released the results of two polls taken this month. Although it’s no surprise to us, the polls clearly indicate exceptionally strong support of open carry in Florida and virtually no opposition. Across the board, male or female, young or old, Florida residents want open carry rights.
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/S...pen_Carry_Law_in_North_Florida_117859789.html

It wasn’t even close; this was a landslide for open carry!

We’re against the clock. The Senate committee meets again on Monday. We need you to flood the e-mail boxes of the committee members and the Senate President. Please let them know about the poll results and tell them you expect them to follow the will of the people!

Thank you!
The Executive Directors and Board of Florida Carry, Inc.

We urgently need you to email the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice NOW!
Include “The People have spoken – Yes on SB 234” in the Subject Line

E-mail Helper (feel free to copy, cut, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:
evers.greg.web@flsenate.gov, dean.charles.web@flsenate.gov, dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov, margolis.gwen.web@flsenate.gov, smith.chris.web@flsenate.gov, haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT: The People have spoken – Yes on SB 234
Dear Senator,

Open Market Research, Inc., an independent marketing research firm, has released the results of two polls taken in northern Florida which show strong support for the open carry provision of SB 234. Taken on March 3 and 11, the polls show a wide margin (58% - 14%) favor legalization of open carry in district 3, and an even wider margin in districts 2 and 4 (62% - 12%).

Legislators: the nay-sayers are a vocal lot, but they do not represent the voice of the people. Support SB 234 over the special interest groups. Open carry is peacefully practiced on a daily basis in 43 other states without the need for ridiculous and unnecessary retention devices and training, and without the need for public display of private information.

For twenty-three years, the law-abiding citizens of Florida who hold concealed weapons/firearms licenses have proven themselves to be responsible and deserve, without hesitation, to be treated as such. Voting against SB 234 is tantamount to a slap in the face of licensees, the sting of which the voters will not soon forget.
Please support SB 234.

Respectfully yours,

<your name>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

About: Florida Carry is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to advancing the fundamental civil right of all Floridians to keep and bear arms for self defense as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I Section 8 of the Florida Constitution. Florida Carry, Inc. was organized by a group of Florida gun rights activists in order to better coordinate activities, effectively lobby the state legislature, and to provide a legal entity capable of filing suit to demand compliance with state and federal law. Florida Carry stands only to represent our members and the over 6 million gun owners of Florida. We are not beholden to any national organization's agenda that may compromise that mission.
Florida Carry works tirelessly toward repealing and striking down ill-conceived gun control laws that have been proven to provide safe havens to criminals and be deadly to law abiding citizens.

Florida Carry
www.FloridaCarry.org
Phone: 850-270-7486
Fax: 678-359-9816

77zach

He has probably put a filter on my emails by now. It really galls me that 1 man is going to ruin the biggest leap forward in Fl gun freedom in 24 years.