• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who knew CCW training was so dangerous?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That is precisely the drill that I envisioned and why I originally said the instructor was remiss in allowing live ammo and in combination with teaching this technique to other than a very advanced student.

I stand by that analysis.

And amazingly enough, I agree with you.

Stupid technique thast I learned not to do many moons ago just because of the probability of moving the muzzle towards the body. There are better and safer ways to obtain the handgun using the weak hand.

stay safe.

SFCRetired

I see two faults here: The instructor for trying to teach an advanced technique to a non-advanced student and with live ammunition. The student for even thinking of trying this with a loaded weapon that he is not familiar with.

As I understand the story, the student was used to a revolver, but was given a semi-automatic pistol for this exercise. That adds another dimension entirely.

IMNSHO, the instructor should be held criminally liable for this man's death.

1245A Defender

well,,,

ive been thinking about this a lot!

i think the story is bogus!
i have practiced this move lots of times, with both hands!
their is no need to allow the muzzle to point at your chest!
the video shows a very contorted hold, in order to get the left index finger to the safety lever!
the hold is soooo contorted, to bend the wrist unnaturally, in order to get the muzzle pointed at the chest!
I think the shooter must have committed suicide!

1245A Defender

and,,,

in addition to post no. 23,,,

it makes more sense to point the gun straight down, by your thigh,
and use your leg to do the rotation on, works good, mucho safer!
and,, i can do it, using my hand only! i have long fingers, and its pointed down!

REALteach4u

And you and I have attended and participated in several training excercises with loaded handguns where we shot the dayligts out of targets.

I agree that first practice of a new movement/technique is much safer when the firearm is not loaded, but once the movement has been "learned" it becomes necessary to add the aspect of manipulating the loaded firearm.

Further, I'm still trying to visualize how a crossdraw, weak-hand draw, or other move gets the muzzle pointed at the chest. The best I can come up with is weak hand going all the way around the back then coming around again - and that points the muzzle at the side, not the chest. But we know reporters know as much about anatomy as they do about firearms.

stay safe.

Will give empty hand, visual demo when next we shall meet. Mean while, try imagining tucking the gun in your arm pit to correct your grip.

Video fellas, video!

Grapeshot will likely show you that you can control the muzzle so it's never pointed up, to the side, or directly at your body. In essence it can be carefully rotated toward the front, but it definitely takes practice EMPTY! Our MP trainers wouldn't let us use it at all, they instilled the seek cover, unholster, set it on the ground, re-grip.