Thread: Is carrying a unloaded pistol hidden from view in your vehicle legal?

Is carrying a unloaded pistol hidden from view in your vehicle legal?

Exactly what the title says. Is it legal to have a unloaded pistol with a detatched loaded magazine in a bag inside your vehicle legal with out a CPL in WA state?

That is exactly how you are supposed to carry it without a CPL.

9.41.060;

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

what he said plus....

As long as its not attached to you and concealed. Unloaded... you can velcro it to your forehead and drive with the mag or speed loader in your hand (although not recommended).

RCW 9.41.050
    (3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Code of Federal Regulations
    Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - 926a
    926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 03-13-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ishyid View Post
    Exactly what the title says. Is it legal to have a unloaded pistol with a detatched loaded magazine in a bag inside your vehicle legal with out a CPL in WA state?
    It would appear to be legal as described. Whether in a "bag" meets the definition of "secure wrapper" is the question I think.

Exception #9 - Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Appreciate the redirect M1 & Lt - I need to be more aware of the law references, especially when I post on another state site - Thanks.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

NavyLT-

If my memory still serves me, I believe Washington State DID have a "Case and Carry" law for transporting firearms in vehicles. I haven't been able to find any current cite but as I recall it was in effect for one year. A more lucid mind suggested to the Legislature that it was unenforceable so they repealed it. Perhaps someone here has a cite for this.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"