• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is carrying a unloaded pistol hidden from view in your vehicle legal?

ishyid

Exactly what the title says. Is it legal to have a unloaded pistol with a detatched loaded magazine in a bag inside your vehicle legal with out a CPL in WA state?

joeroket

That is exactly how you are supposed to carry it without a CPL.

9.41.060;

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

Bill Starks

State Researcher
what he said plus....

As long as its not attached to you and concealed. Unloaded... you can velcro it to your forehead and drive with the mag or speed loader in your hand (although not recommended).

RCW 9.41.050
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Exactly what the title says. Is it legal to have a unloaded pistol with a detatched loaded magazine in a bag inside your vehicle legal with out a CPL in WA state?

It would appear to be legal as described. Whether in a "bag" meets the definition of "secure wrapper" is the question I think.

Exception #9 - Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the redirect M1 & Lt - I need to be more aware of the law references, especially when I post on another state site - Thanks.

amlevin

NavyLT-

If my memory still serves me, I believe Washington State DID have a "Case and Carry" law for transporting firearms in vehicles. I haven't been able to find any current cite but as I recall it was in effect for one year. A more lucid mind suggested to the Legislature that it was unenforceable so they repealed it. Perhaps someone here has a cite for this.