• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interrogative: Castle Doctrine details needed for New Jersey

Billy

SUBJ: Castle Doctrine details needed for New Jersey

Warm greetings there ~

I'm trying to help out a friend who lives in New Jersey and the fellow is not up-to-speed on the "Castle Doctrine."

If you're knowledgeable regarding this matter then please cite some quotes and direct links that cover NJ's Castle Doctrine then this would be of help to my buddy. Please feel free to comment on any limitations that NJ has, i.e., here in Michigan our Castle Doctrine doesn't restrict a citizen to lawful defense within (-only) his own home/property but we may also "Stand Our Ground" when out and about in public as well. Is this the case for NJ?

I read a few of the posts here for O/C NJ and found that for one to purchase ammo in your state the individual needs a 'State of New Jersey Firearms Purchaser ID Card.' Is this accurate and is it still in force today?

I was dismayed to read just how stringent and draconian the laws are for you folks in Jersey. Not good.

Thanks kindly for any assistance you can provide. Take care now...

Respectfully,

Billy
-ex U.S. Naval Special Warfare operator

markmopar

I don't have any direct links but I can tell you that a FOID card is still needed to buy ammunition.
There is no Castle Doctrine here. No Standing Your Ground, either. If you have a means of escape from a situation, you're expected to use it, even if it means climbing out your bedroom window to get away from a burglar. You must be in imminent danger of bodily harm with no escape before defending yourself.
Your friend should check out http://njgunforums.com/forum/
Lots of great info there.

dlouis

NJ has what is known as a quasi "Super legislature". This is made up of DAs, judges and the NJ state attorney general and the state police are their enforcers. They create/remove laws through dynamic interpretation on a case by case basis. Hence, even if you know the law, and even follow it, it may be interpreted differently on any given day and you'll find yourself in jeopardy.

Once it becomes obvious that you had acted legally, the "Super legislature" will pervert and in essence change the law to prove otherwise. Case in point...NJ has an "Assault" weapon ban where firearms of a certain configuration are banned within the state. The attorney general interprets and decides what firearms should be included in the ban and the state police is in charge of the dissemination of the information to the various shops/FFLs. Christie, our new governor appointed Paula Dow attorney general when he was elected. She is what you would call "Firearm ignorant" and has taken it upon herself to redefine the meaning of "Assault weapon" to include certain pistol grip semi automatic firearm that have always been legal. This essentially makes law abiding citizens into felons overnight. Show up at a range with your AK variant and the State police may arrest you. If you have hollowpoint ammo that you intended to use at the range(legally), you are now charged with illegal possession of hollowpoints while committing a crime and could be locked up for 7years. The kicker being that you legally bought the rifle in NJ a month earlier, not even a sentence of the written law had changed and you had no way of knowing that your weekly trip to the range would end up with a multiple year prison sentence. Once arrested, you can expect the courts to uphold the interpretation to the point of withholding the letter of the written law from the jury. NJ is that bad and they get away with it because most of it's citizens are indifferent...unless their gov't padded income is at risk.

Additional cases...
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/20/chris-christie-commutes-gun-sentence-of-brian-aitken/
http://reason.com/blog/2010/03/31/when-a-missed-connection-leads