• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-13-11: CCW in Parks & Restaurants Vote This Week

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 3-12-11:
CCW in Parks & Restaurants Vote This Week

In a bruising battle fought by both legislators and GRNC's Legislative Action Team, HB 111, "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants" fought its way out of the NC House Judiciary A Subcommittee and now heads for a floor vote as early as tomorrow. Both strengthening and weakening changes were made to the bill.

REP. HILTON'S SUBSTITUTE

Working with GRNC, bill sponsors Mark Hilton (R-Catawba, ****), Jeff Barnhart (R-Cabarrus, ****) and Fred Steen (R-Rowan, ****) produced an enhanced version of HB 111 which included concealed carry not only in municipal parks, but in state parks as well. The substitute was quickly adopted as the working vehicle for the bill.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

Immediately take the following actions:

* E-MAIL ALL SWING VOTERS THE NC HOUSE: By using our automated emailer at: http://grnc.org/alerts/email3_13_11.htm

* CALL YOUR HOUSE REP: Tell him or her to support HB 111 with no weakening amendments. You can identify your representative to the NC House by going to: http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE:

Honorable Members of the NC House:

For sixteen years, North Carolina concealed handgun permit-holders have proven themselves sane, sober and law-abiding. Their overwhelming responsibility is demonstrated by the fact that permit revocations run mere tenths of a single percent.

Because the ability of lawful North Carolinians to protect themselves and their families in restaurants and parks is long overdue, I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO SUPPORT HOUSE BILL 111: "Concealed Handgun Permit Valid in Parks and Restaurants" by all means substantive and procedural, and to pass the bill WITHOUT WEAKENDING AMENDMENTS. Under the bill, restaurants would still be able to post against firearms, and nothing would change the current prohibition on permit-holders consuming alcohol while carrying firearms.

I also expect you to support removing Representative Deborah Ross' amendment which would require permit-holders to disclose whether they are carrying firearms to restaurant servers, patrons, and potentially criminals. Under the Ross amendment, if a permit-holder orders an alcoholic beverage for someone else - even though the permit holder consumes no alcohol - he or she could be required to make that tactically unsound and potentially dangerous disclosure. If not removed, the Ross amendment will eventually cost lives.

I will monitor actions on HB 111 via Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

Respectfully,

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

Dreamer

From what I understand this law only applies to concealed handguns. Not knives, nunckuck, brass nuckles, batons, shotguns, rifles or other weapons. And from what I understand, it does not make it legal with a CHP holder to carry any weapon concealed into an alcohol-serving establishment--it only applies to handguns.

"CCW" is a crime. The only time the phrase "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" appears in NC Statute is to describe a crime. This Bill does not negate that crime. It only allows CHP holders to legally carry their concealed handguns into establishments that serve alcohol.

I mean no disrespect to GRNC, but please, I beg you, we need to stop using the acronym for a CRIME to describe a lawful, legal activity. This bill is about lawfully carrying a concealed handgun--not about any other weapon. So there should be no "W" attached to the "CC" when we talk about it...

Please, I beg you.

For the children.

How are they going to learn proper grammar and usage if the law-abiding adults they look up to can't (or won't)?...

JC_Biggs

I also expect you to support removing Representative Deborah Ross' amendment which would require permit-holders to disclose whether they are carrying firearms to restaurant servers, patrons, and potentially criminals. Under the Ross amendment, if a permit-holder orders an alcoholic beverage for someone else - even though the permit holder consumes no alcohol - he or she could be required to make that tactically unsound and potentially dangerous disclosure. If not removed, the Ross amendment will eventually cost lives.

what kinda asinine idea is that??? ...party of 4 ..gun section please..:question:

Last edited:

Northerner

Where the heck is the House vote on the CHP in Parks and Restaurants? I haven't seen it on the House Calendar at all.

On a separate thread, whatever became of the HB 34 or 74 (GNRC got me real screw up and confused on that one). It's in the Senate, but when will it show up in committee or the Senate for a vote?

Maverick9110e

Where the heck is the House vote on the CHP in Parks and Restaurants? I haven't seen it on the House Calendar at all.

On a separate thread, whatever became of the HB 34 or 74 (GNRC got me real screw up and confused on that one). It's in the Senate, but when will it show up in committee or the Senate for a vote?

If you go here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/p

in the top right you can enter the bill number and see where and what the status on the bill is.

Last edited:

chiefjason

I have not seen the P & R come up on the calendar either. Looks like it's bouncing between committees.

I got curious and looked. It seems that S 34 is the equivalent of HB 52 now. HB 52 is showing in Jud Comm B for the House. It's done in the Senate. Waiting on the House to catch up. Passed the 1st reading in the House.

Here's the Jud Comm B membership list if you are interested.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascrip...iewCommittee&sActionDetails=House Standing_30

cricketdad

I've sent in a request for updates.

Just a WAG, SB 34 has made cross over. It will probably sit for awhile while other bills are being pushed.

HB 111, Looks to me like the GA's wed site hasn't been updated.

papa bear

as much as i support it i also LOATHE that its only CC centric. Why just carrying wasn't in it is appalling, they just had to slap on the word concealed...

yes i agree, it would be nice if it covered all carry. most of the sheepople don't know that open carry is a good way to discourage crime. but maybe this will break down some of the stupid barriers that we have to deal with

please let the state reps know that we support the bill