• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama proposes tighter background checks.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I just don't recall having read anything in the Constitution that says one word about background checks. Maybe it's just me but,,,
Thinkin' it was a wise man (Benjamin Franklin) that said words to the affect ,,,those that give up liberty for security will soon have neither. Sorry,,but I'm too lazy right now to get the direct quote.

As Since9 stated your low post count makes us that have been on here quite a while look at you with a jaded eye. There have been quite a few lately that come on this forum saying "Oh it's okay if we let the Feds do this lil thing, it won't take away our Liberty" or it's okay if we allow one more minute inconvenience into our Liberty. And that's Progressive. Chip away at Liberty...because of folks like you that say,,oh it's okay... And soon we'll turn around and look,,thru the triple strand concertina of the "reeducation camps" and wonder,,,where did Liberty go? For me sir,,it's give me Liberty,,or give me death. Dang,,now where have I heard that before?

I am reminded of a little piece of prose from WWII written by Pastor Martin Niemoller:

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Never forget that governments are inherently evil. They know but one thing and that is to grow. And left to their own devises they will grow until they are powerful enough to swallow those whom they govern. History suffers no fools with this most basic lesson of universal truth. And those who chose to ignore this fact are doomed to become another history lesson. Rights which become privileges have no other place to go but to have those privileges banned in favor of the "good of all". In the entire history of man, there is no worse path than a government that is bent upon becoming benevolent. Just remember this. When a government tries to tell you it is here to help, you must ask yourself this.

What is it going to cost?
What am I going to lose?

The only thing that stands in the way of liberty and tyranny is an armed and informed people. Our Founders knew this. One has to wonder why those who sit in the halls of government chose to forget it.

eye95

The full and correct Franklin quotation with both the off-omitted words in their places:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Aknazer

And yet I'm still trying to figure out just what liberty you would be giving up. A simple tracking of the sales that is then destroyed after a short amount of time doesn't prevent you from buying the guns. Likewise instant background checks don't impede your ability to purchase the gun that day (not saying that I'm for or against it, simply that it doesn't restrict your ability). It is the government's job to enforce the laws; which means also using new technology to combat crime and changing criminals. But likewise it is the job of the citizens to stop the government from over-stepping it's bounds.

Once again I see the slipperly slope, but just as how requiring people to get permits when they assemble (see the whole Westboro "Church" protests) doesn't violate the 1A, I don't see a simple tracking system as us giving up any liberties. Now the fear of the government mishandling that data could be another concern, but that's a different issue.

sudden valley gunner

The full and correct Franklin quotation with both the off-omitted words in their places:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

And I would go one further and say all liberty is essential and all safety temporary.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And yet I'm still trying to figure out just what liberty you would be giving up. A simple tracking of the sales...

Yep, that's it. Wasn't hard, was it?

...that is then destroyed after a short amount of time...

As one who has created (design and development aka "systems analysis and design") with respect to government databases and interrelated information systems, I can assure you it is NOT "destroyed after a short amount of time." I haven't a clue as to where you're getting this hairbrained idea, but hairbrained it is. There are "requirements" for the destruction of all sorts of data which is nevertheless out there and has been for a long, long time, well after both "requirements" (lower limits) as well as expiration dates (upper limits) have expired.

Those limits don't exist for the rights and privacies of We, the People. They exist so that various government agencies can ensure that lower levels are deleting information which may be useful in demonstrating innocense while the same information can be used against you in a court of law at ANY later date.

I may have just created a few enemies. I hope, as I served my country and hope that anyone else who did the same might not take so much objection to what I'm saying because at one time, they learned the same precepts as I.

When I was young, I skiied the back bowls of Vail. Double black diamonds. I fell, and got beat up. From that I learned that if one doesn't want to damage the body, don't engage in physical activity that's potentially dangerous.

Years later, in church, I courted a few of my sisters. Double white diamonds. I fell, and got beat up. From that I learned that if one doesn't want to damage the body of Christ, which is the church, don't engage in physical activity that's potentially dangerous (no, no pregnancies - just some broken hearts).

Years later, in the military, I'd finally learned my lessons, but still fell and got beat up. This time they were simply willing to damage the body of the military because they hadn't learned the first two lessons before they rose to a level where they were "above reproach." So they engaged in dangerous activity, and...

...they got beat up. I'm still here. Not physically, on either side. Just all politically, socially, environmentally, and most importantly, relationally (courtesy of my church days).

Lot's of quotes:

"doesn't prevent you from buying the guns"

"instant background checks don't impede your ability to purchase the gun that day"

"it's the government's job to enforce the laws"

"using new technology to combat crime and changing criminals"

As to the last, may I remind you you're speaking to an information systems analyst? I was into the Internet in 1985. The Internet wasn't commercialized until the 1990s, when most folks began referring to the "internetting of networks" we'd created in the 1980s, the idea of which began in the 1960s, and which was militarized in the 1970s, and educationalized in the 1980s. I was both part of the ICANN and the IETF in their earlier years, back when most of us were doing it voluntarily and for fun, not pay.

We INVENTED many of the crime combatting statistical analysis algorithms, combined with time and location-sensitive information designed to analyze, map, and predict crime patterns. These days, when LEA's actually use some of what we came up with back in the 80s, with a few mapping revisions, it shows up on their maps like cockroaches running from a light. Or more appropriately, ants running away from a cricket that's been dabbled with a drop of insecticide.

But likewise it is the job of the citizens to stop the government from over-stepping it's bounds.

Thanks for that! I'd argue those bounds stop at both bounds of authority granted to them by the Constitution of the United States of America, and ONLY from those powers both detailed therein and/or reserved to the States.

Beyond that, a FREE PEOPLE remain a FREE PEOPLE.

Until, of course, they begin giving up their freedoms based on a few wily arguements of government flunkies who don't understand the principles and documental foundations upon which our country was founded.

...just as how requiring people to get permits when they assemble (see the whole Westboro "Church" protests) doesn't violate the 1A...

They do, as there are conflicting liberties at steak in the Webtboro "Church's" right to freedom of speech and the begrieved's right to peacably assembly.

Unfortunately, the latter group's right to peacbly assemble i.e. be free from action on the part of others to disrupt that peace, was NOT given equal weight with the WBC.

Um, but wasn't "WBC" the moniker for the Warner Brothers Cartoons?

Anyway.

I don't see a simple tracking system as us giving up any liberties.

I do, HUGELY. Supervisors galore kept telling me how "important" it was to track all of a student's, soldier's, or employee's information, and it was always a constant battled to keep up first and foremost with the laws of the United States of America, and secondly to keep supervisors appraised of the reasons as to why inclusion of this or that piece of information was a violation of local, state, or most often, federal law.

This doesn't do well for one's career, and is the principle reason as to why my career rose to T, as to opposed to Z. Meanwhile, those who were willing to ignore the rules, copy the information, put it into databases in violation of the law, and keep it in violation of the law, well, they did better than I did.

But my life wasn't lived in databases. It was lived in combat. Data was just an aside, a small job on the side.

And if that doesn't tell you volumes about what goes on behind the scenes, with full-time folks doing this all the time simply because they were more beholden to their supervisors than their the laws of their country, much less than their country, well, think again. Sadly, that's largely the way it is.

That's what we're fighting.

So when I and others here on the forums hear people telling us to ski down that slippery slope, I say, "No, I know it's exactly where that slow goes, and it's nowhere I, my family, my church, friends, family or brothers want to go."

There's a reason it was first termed a "slippery slope." Most people fell clean off.

Now the fear of the government mishandling that data could be another concern, but that's a different issue.[/QUOTE]