• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state open carry in VA

awolfe61

hello everybody.

i live in WV and i visit VA very often i open carry in WV with no problems but was wondering if i can open carry in Virginia being that im a resident of West Virginia.
i know if i have a CCW that its recognized in VA but at the moment i dont. im also planing on visiting VA very soon so any help is very appreciated. Thank you!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anyone that is at least 18 years old and not an otherwise prohibited person may OC within Va. limitations.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Places Where Carrying Concealed is Prohibited[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -

Federal facilities (buildings) (18USC § 930)
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -

Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS, but not National Parks)

National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC15-40-60)

General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint Rules Committee Rule)

[strike]State Parks: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC5-30-200)[/strike]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

State Forests (4VAC10-30-170)

Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)

Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)

George Mason University buildings (8VAC35-60-20)

Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Detention Facilities (§15.2-915) [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -

K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC while in a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (§18.2-308.1)
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
K-12 school buses. (§18.2-308.1)
Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§18.2-308.1)

Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)

Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)

CC on private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.0)
http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

And yes you can OC in restaurants.

[/FONT]Fixed the State Park thing.

Last edited:

t33j

Yes, I've come to respect Grapeshot's multiple resources on the issue as comprising that of many folks, so "yall" is appropriate!

lol I posted a correction. *

So the OP was actually referring to two people :D

* Moderator Admission --

I unintentionally deleted t33j's post and there is no way to recover it properly - my bad.