• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would OC have deterred?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think it would deter in more cases than not. Reason: "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor." - Robert A. Heinlein

An openly-carried firearm is symbolically representative of "violence, naked force."

Aside from my time in the military, which is similar, but different, I've only one case of encountering a no-kidding situation that was going to materialize, but didn't. Kid, mid-20s was carrying a case of beer through the checkout line way after hours. He was directly in front of me, and didn't see that I was carrying until he laid the case on the belt, whereapon he gave a start. About the same time the lady said, "Sorry, but we can't sell beer at this hour."

He left it and walked out. I discovered he was planning on stealing it anyway, as he was waiting for me in the parking lot. He asked me if I was a cop or store security, and when I said "No," he started swearing and revealed he was about to run out of the store with the case of beer, but saw I was carrying and left it there instead.

So, is OC a deterrant? It was in that case. Then again, he was a drunk opportunist who just wanted to keep partying with his friends, not a hardened criminal.

Sc0tt

It may have deterred him it may have not.

There are a million complications a firearms brings into the situation:

perhaps he had a concealed handgun of his own, and decided that he wanted yours too, things could of gotten deadly.

perhaps he may of been scared where he just went somewhere else to look for an easy target

perhaps, you were oc and he didn't notice and he went for it a struggle ensued and he goes for your gun

perhaps your were oc and he didn't notice and gets away with it anyway

You see where this is going.....

The main purpose of OC is not to deter crime around you but rather as a mean of self defense. I doubt drawing on a purse snatcher on a crowded bus would of went over well for either of you.