Thread: Open carry with an IWB holster

Open carry with an IWB holster

Is this considered open carry, or does the whole holster need to be visible and identifiable as a holster?

Can common observation determine that you have a firearm?

Yes, but I decided for OC I'm going to put the holster between my belt and pants, so the whole holster is visible.

I live in a city in NH where the police's primary goal is to ruin lives. This is not an exaggeration at all.

Better safe than sorry.

Send the picture to the city/county attorney general and ask him.

His response will be both your definitive answer as well as your get out of jail free card.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Banned
    I would ask the city attorney to cite black-letter law and case law to support what he tells you--and then read these for yourself. If he informs you incorrectly and you are arrested as a result, you would be relying solely on his willingness to act in good faith to get out of jail.

This is interesting because I have a De Santis kydex IWB holster for my Glock 21 that I really like. I have even left the house without the gun because it distributes the weight so well that I'm not aware that I'm carrying a full-size .45.

With a black golf shirt on, I would have to confront someone in a high-traffic store and point-blank ask - "Did you notice my Glock ?" They would probalby say - " What Glock ?"

There is a difference between INTENTIONALLY CONCEALING , and "stealth" carry - I think. Is an unzipped "fly" visible to a casual observor ? Who hasn't spent an hour at Walmart - only to discover when they return to the car that they are unzipped. I guess it depends on what the proverbial casual , reasonable observor's eyes are scanning for, or trained on.

That photo ? Perhaps "obscure". Concealed - NO. Personally , I prefer IWB, and "obscurity" over " WHOOPS ! - I'm sorry - please excuse my Glock."

Funny - this makes me reflect upon the so-called "bing" thing. You know - how low can they wear their pants ? How much of a rise can they get from John Q. - and still say they are not guilty of public "indecency".

I still say "concealed" = COVERED UP with something.

Got my CC permit today... Only took 1 and a half business days haha
    Last edited by Locklear; 03-15-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epilogue View Post
    Can common observation determine that you have a firearm?
    There's another side to epilogue's question. Are you making an obvious attempt to conceal the firearm?

It might surprise folks how often small groups of like-minded folks will discuss this type of problem since it's not clearly defined in most States.

You will get as many different answers as the number of cops who see you.
    Just hope that none of them are having a bad day & decide to make your life difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I did just this today, open carry with an IWB holster, in Amherst, NH, shopping with the wife. No MWAG calls (that I know of) but I did have one customer in a Taco Bell/KFC ask if it was legal. I explained to him that, in NH, yes this is legal. I would say from his approaching me that it could not be considered concealed, although an LEO with an ax to grind may see it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Locklear View Post
    Yes, but I decided for OC I'm going to put the holster between my belt and pants, so the whole holster is visible.

I live in a city in NH where the police's primary goal is to ruin lives. This is not an exaggeration at all.

Better safe than sorry.
    Since you advocate carrying while intoxicated, I'd say you give those same police a very good reason to "ruin lives".

Folks like you should not carry, CC, IWB or otherwise.

Banned
    Since you advocate carrying while intoxicated, I'd say you give those same police a very good reason to "ruin lives"...
    Reminds me of a child at school blaming the teacher when he gets into trouble.

Since you advocate carrying while intoxicated, I'd say you give those same police a very good reason to "ruin lives".

Folks like you should not carry, CC, IWB or otherwise.
    where did he say he carrys while intoxicated?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by awolfe61 View Post
    where did he say he carrys while intoxicated?
    In the linked thread. The blue text is a link. Click it for the answer to your question.

Don't Know...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Locklear View Post
    Is this considered open carry, or does the whole holster need to be visible and identifiable as a holster?
    I don't know the answer to your question, but an IWB holster seems like it would be the most uncomfortable thing in the world to wear; thus I have avoided them.

I would think you are looking for sciatica problems down the road.

My neighbor carrys a 9mm SigSauer in an IWB and says he is starting to have pain on that side of his pelvis, which is radiating down his leg.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but an IWB holster seems like it would be the most uncomfortable thing in the world to wear; thus I have avoided them.
    I use the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster and it's not uncomfortable at all.