• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with an IWB holster

Locklear

Is this considered open carry, or does the whole holster need to be visible and identifiable as a holster?
HolsteredOpen.jpg

Locklear

Yes, but I decided for OC I'm going to put the holster between my belt and pants, so the whole holster is visible.

I live in a city in NH where the police's primary goal is to ruin lives. This is not an exaggeration at all.

Better safe than sorry.

eye95

I would ask the city attorney to cite black-letter law and case law to support what he tells you--and then read these for yourself. If he informs you incorrectly and you are arrested as a result, you would be relying solely on his willingness to act in good faith to get out of jail.

rushcreek2

This is interesting because I have a De Santis kydex IWB holster for my Glock 21 that I really like. I have even left the house without the gun because it distributes the weight so well that I'm not aware that I'm carrying a full-size .45.

With a black golf shirt on, I would have to confront someone in a high-traffic store and point-blank ask - "Did you notice my Glock ?" They would probalby say - " What Glock ?"

There is a difference between INTENTIONALLY CONCEALING , and "stealth" carry - I think. Is an unzipped "fly" visible to a casual observor ? Who hasn't spent an hour at Walmart - only to discover when they return to the car that they are unzipped. I guess it depends on what the proverbial casual , reasonable observor's eyes are scanning for, or trained on.

That photo ? Perhaps "obscure". Concealed - NO. Personally , I prefer IWB, and "obscurity" over " WHOOPS ! - I'm sorry - please excuse my Glock."

Funny - this makes me reflect upon the so-called "bing" thing. You know - how low can they wear their pants ? How much of a rise can they get from John Q. - and still say they are not guilty of public "indecency".

I still say "concealed" = COVERED UP with something.

REALteach4u

Can common observation determine that you have a firearm?

There's another side to epilogue's question. Are you making an obvious attempt to conceal the firearm?

It might surprise folks how often small groups of like-minded folks will discuss this type of problem since it's not clearly defined in most States.

MKEgal

You will get as many different answers as the number of cops who see you.
Just hope that none of them are having a bad day & decide to make your life difficult.

ldsgeek

I did just this today, open carry with an IWB holster, in Amherst, NH, shopping with the wife. No MWAG calls (that I know of) but I did have one customer in a Taco Bell/KFC ask if it was legal. I explained to him that, in NH, yes this is legal. I would say from his approaching me that it could not be considered concealed, although an LEO with an ax to grind may see it differently.

epilogue

Yes, but I decided for OC I'm going to put the holster between my belt and pants, so the whole holster is visible.

I live in a city in NH where the police's primary goal is to ruin lives. This is not an exaggeration at all.

Better safe than sorry.

Since you advocate carrying while intoxicated, I'd say you give those same police a very good reason to "ruin lives".

Folks like you should not carry, CC, IWB or otherwise.

Don Barnett

Don't Know...but...

Is this considered open carry, or does the whole holster need to be visible and identifiable as a holster?
HolsteredOpen.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question, but an IWB holster seems like it would be the most uncomfortable thing in the world to wear; thus I have avoided them.

I would think you are looking for sciatica problems down the road.

My neighbor carrys a 9mm SigSauer in an IWB and says he is starting to have pain on that side of his pelvis, which is radiating down his leg.