• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

clarifieing open carry while hunting fishing or camping.

bigtim6656

Ok given I am from indiana open carry is not a issue, though given the once a day or so look from someone I have yet to have a issue. We have a place in florida and I will be splitting my time between here and there till I finish college, then staying in key largo till I die if I have my way :banana:

At first my understanding was if your fishing, camping or hunting, or coming to or from said fun you can open carry in clear sight all you want, be it a local pond, or a pier of US1. I was then told that was not true and it meant one could carry and that does not really mean OC.

SO which is it, if I go down and am going fishing at say a pier off us1 am I ok to walk into the grocery store, bait shop and gas station on the way and be fishing with my glock 21 in open sight for all to see or will I be in trouble?

Anyone been stopped by LE doing so, if so how did it end, or can someone show me where it say open carry is legal when.......
I thought about calling the florida state troopers and asking them, it worked when I called ky troopers to make sure OC was ok with out a permit
Also what constitutes fishing, a pole in my truck and going down the road, or a receipt for a charter trip? Can one really get away with just having the gear with them?

~*'Phoenix'*~

Think of it as "open carry WHILE fishing."
Don't play too much with going too or from. I haven't tried anything with it, but I wouldn't unless it was close to my house and I was walking there. There's no way for a police officer to prove or disprove that you're actually going fishing (except maybe if you have live bait to prove you're on the way to actually fish...)
Stick with CC until you arrive if you have a license/permit, or keep in a snapped/buckled holster in the car/truck under normal "securely enclosed" requirements until you arrive at fishing.
If you're going directly from your house to the pier/park (which is what you should do if you're trying OC for it), you would probably be well served with a normal OWB buckled holster the whole way there and back.

And no, don't stop at the gas station and grocery store on the way. Get your soda, chips, and bait ready before you're open carrying, or you're likely to get in trouble for pushing or abusing the law; most people and law enforcement won't take kindly to it if you're not going DIRECTLY to or from.

Last edited:

bigtim6656

thanks. I was wondering cause I had someone tell me that it was more you could carry with no permit CC then OC with a permit or without

Outdoorsman1

In Wisconsin you can Open Carry but it is also in the state statutes that the weapon has to unloaded and cased (we know...stupid law) while transporting in a motor vehicle (and also some non motor vehicles). It specifically lists a boat with a motor as a vehicle that open carry is not allowed in. So I would check all related Florida laws regarding transport of loaded (or unloaded) weapons. It might be legal to Open Carry but not legal to Opne Carry in a boat..

I would think that Concealed Carry (if allowed) might have totaly different transport laws

Outdoorsman.

~*'Phoenix'*~

yeah, CC with FL CWL = keep it covered and you can take it anywhere, any way, on foot, in businesses, in/on vehicles (cars, bikes, boats), doesn't really matter with permit, except for not going to federal and state restricted places --> post offices, any educational center of any sort, any police station, non-firearm sporting event, polling event, that's most of them, but check before you go anywhere that seems official.