• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

ColeMD17

Hey guys! Name's Cole, I'm brand new to the community so I thought I'd share some of my limited OC experience with everyone

So A few weeks ago I bought my first handgun in a private sale (can't get 'em from a dealer yet as I'm only 19) and have started selectively OCing in the Coeur d'Alene area.

So far my experience has been positive. I've OC'd several places, mostly when I'm alone at night, and today I OC'd in the Hayden Albertsons, accompanied by my roommate and his gf (both unarmed) after we all just got done with a shooting trip. An older guy noticed and said, and I quote, "Kick ass! Is that a real pistol?" I laughed and responded "Yep, Springfield XD, .40 cal!" and a short, friendly conversation followed. He asked if I was one of "those kids from post falls" and I said "Oh, no, but I know who you're talking about, I read about 'em in the paper." conversation carried on a little bit, and wrapped up with him basically praising me for OC, saying he's still too nervous to do so himself, and said "kick ass" at least one more time :D

So that's the highlight of my experience so far. any more CdA area stories from you guys? can you refer me to any especially 2A friendly areas as I'm still pretty green with the whole thing lol

It's good to be on board!:banana:

oldbanger

welcomeaboard.jpg

Welcome aboard Cole

Last edited:

clarkebar

Friendly areas

I think the real question is what areas aren't friendly. I've OC'd about everywhere in downtown Boise and in select places between here and Caldwell without incident, and I ride a motorcycle!

Spence

I have yet to Open Carry outside of my property, so you're one step ahead of me :)
I am also new here, but welcome

ISRAEL

I have yet to Open Carry outside of my property, so you're one step ahead of me :)
I am also new here, but welcome[/QUOTE
I O.C. almost every day in downtown Boise, sometimes in Meridian, and no problems, about 2 weeks ago I was walking to eat lunch with my wife at the restaurant she works, and there was a police car and I saw a pliceman, and I start talking whith him and I ask about O.C. in Boise and he said it is Ok in all Idaho, then I turn and he saw my 44 magnum, and he smiled and he said that he know that I am the one that O.C in downtown.
Spence, find somebody to O.C. and walk in any street, I do it, and go to any store, first time is a little hard, but it gets easy in time, then you will see that many people do not even notice, well have fun doin it.

ColeMD17

Cool, everyone, that's pretty encouraging! :D I do get the feeling, though, that the people in the Cd'A area are not typical Idahoans... everyone seems to move here from California, and half the people I know are pretty liberal.

First time I OC'd around here though, I was nervous as hell lol. It was late at night and I was by myself. (had to get out of the apt cause the roommate had the gf over and... well, you know. let's just say I had to get out lol.) anyway I got hungry and pulled into the Shari's parking lot and had to sit there working myself up to it but I eventually went in, XD on my hip and it wasn't a huge deal. I heard one of the servers, a woman about 25 say something to another server, a man of about 45, and I couldn't hear very well what she said, but I got the feeling she was a little freaked out about it from her tone. I did overhear the guy reply "well, yeah, I mean, I carry a .357 magnum all the time!"

bottom line is; I turn heads, but I haven't had any especially negative experience so far.

timezoneguy

Keep up the OC. I ran into Israel in a Boise Winco he gave me some courage. I think you will find, all in, very few issues with OC. The smaller the town the less you will be noticed. Idaho is very conservative overall, Boise and CDA but most of all the Sun Valley area is somewhat liberal. I OC a little bit more every time. I have never had an issue. I NEVER give anyone a reason to question how responsible I am , I don't drink, get loud, show off I just try to blend in. I suppose one day someone will question but surely dozens of people have seen me. I'm not trying to convince people that everyone should carry but to educate folks that honest, hard working, NORMAL people carry a gun and there is nothing to fear. Every "nonevent" that folks who don't do guns have, paves the way for better understanding. Welcome.

ecocks

In Meridian, you folks are ALWAYS welcome at my place, guaranteed, Wild Bill's BBQ, 1551 W. Cherry Lane. I carry all the time but keep it concealed to prevent damage to the finish from bumping into equipment or getting grease buildup.

Spence

I am also new here, but welcome[/QUOTE
I O.C. almost every day in downtown Boise, sometimes in Meridian, and no problems, about 2 weeks ago I was walking to eat lunch with my wife at the restaurant she works, and there was a police car and I saw a pliceman, and I start talking whith him and I ask about O.C. in Boise and he said it is Ok in all Idaho, then I turn and he saw my 44 magnum, and he smiled and he said that he know that I am the one that O.C in downtown.
Spence, find somebody to O.C. and walk in any street, I do it, and go to any store, first time is a little hard, but it gets easy in time, then you will see that many people do not even notice, well have fun doin it.

Thanks for the encouragement Israel. I'll be sure to open carry soon, but I do want to be sure I get a 'locking' holster before I do. Currently looking at the 1 button 'Serpa' model I believe it is. (Springfield Subcompact 9mm)

In Meridian, you folks are ALWAYS welcome at my place, guaranteed, Wild Bill's BBQ, 1551 W. Cherry Lane. I carry all the time but keep it concealed to prevent damage to the finish from bumping into equipment or getting grease buildup.

I go to Meridian to get my Raw Milk, looks like I have a good place to eat and rest before the trip back(short ~2 hr trip to Kimberly):banana:

Last edited:

ColeMD17

I definitely want to get a serpa for my XD. As a matter of fact, I went to Hudson's yesterday for a burger and debated OCing, but decided against it, just because Hudson's is usually so crowded and I can't be guaranteed the luxury of keeping my 3:00 to 6:00 clear of people.

It was rainy though, and I got there and the place was pretty dead. still though, a serpa would give me a little peace of mind. I'm currently running the holster that came with the gun, and, you know, it's just stictly friction-based retention.

Oh yeah, do I need to be 21 to buy a handgun holster from a dealer?

Last edited:

Spence

I don't believe you have to be 21 to buy a holster. Funny thing, at 18 you can strap on an AR-15 and head to Afghanistan, but you can't buy a handgun, or the bullets for them-- amazing--

ColeMD17

I don't believe you have to be 21 to buy a holster. Funny thing, at 18 you can strap on an AR-15 and head to Afghanistan, but you can't buy a handgun, or the bullets for them-- amazing--

I know :lol: funny sort of country we live in, huh? Can't try the alcoholic beverages at my own place of work in order to actually know the product I'm selling, either.

ecocks

Just a short update item on business carry.

I'm pretty vocal about supporting the 2A, open/concealed carry and gun ownership so I OC while working the front cash register. No effort to either hide it or flaunt it. I carry a regular-size .40 (CZ or S&W) in a SOB holster at the 5:00 position. Several times an hour I walk the floor, meeting people, talking about the food and busing tables. In the last 3 days children have asked 3-4 times and at least 3 adults have expressed positive comments that I carry during work. Absolutely NO negative reaction has been received. Maybe some have noticed and silently resolved to leave such an inherently dangerous place but lack the need to make a comment.

Our location is in Meridian on Cherry at Linder.

ColeMD17

Just a short update item on business carry.

I'm pretty vocal about supporting the 2A, open/concealed carry and gun ownership so I OC while working the front cash register. No effort to either hide it or flaunt it. I carry a regular-size .40 (CZ or S&W) in a SOB holster at the 5:00 position. Several times an hour I walk the floor, meeting people, talking about the food and busing tables. In the last 3 days children have asked 3-4 times and at least 3 adults have expressed positive comments that I carry during work. Absolutely NO negative reaction has been received. Maybe some have noticed and silently resolved to leave such an inherently dangerous place but lack the need to make a comment.

Our location is in Meridian on Cherry at Linder.

If I ever find myself in Meridian, I'll definitely wanna stop by Wild Bill's.

cdub

welcome abord cole

we need to get a meeting 2gether i am form pst falls OC every were including US bank downtown no issues

i will send a pm with my #

eddallen1958

I definitely want to get a serpa for my XD. As a matter of fact, I went to Hudson's yesterday for a burger and debated OCing, but decided against it, just because Hudson's is usually so crowded and I can't be guaranteed the luxury of keeping my 3:00 to 6:00 clear of people.

It was rainy though, and I got there and the place was pretty dead. still though, a serpa would give me a little peace of mind. I'm currently running the holster that came with the gun, and, you know, it's just stictly friction-based retention.

Oh yeah, do I need to be 21 to buy a handgun holster from a dealer?

Anyone can buy a holster, a cleaning kit, targets or whatever you need. There is no law against it because there is no way you can hurt anyone with it.

Last edited: