Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawmakers To Discuss Legalizing Marijuana!!

Angry Lawmakers To Discuss Legalizing Marijuana!!

Soooo, let me get this straight. They want to legalize pot, but ban any magazine over 10 rds??? Really???? So, In addition to the bills decriminalizing possession of marijuana, this "committee" was also scheduled to hear bills that would legalize the medical use of marijuana for people whose doctors said it could help them!!?? And how would this pertain to a "permit holder". Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know. Idiots......

I support freedom and personal responsibility. That means I support the freedom to take drugs or drink or do whatever you want. As long as you don't step on someone else's rights, the government should have no reason to be involved.

Therefore, I support the push to decriminalize drugs just as much I oppose any attempt to infringe on 2A rights.

I don't see what decriminalizing drugs has to do with firearm ownership. If we truly believe in personal rights and responsibility, then surely we should give people the benefit of the doubt that they will not get drunk or high and hurt someone with their firearm. If they do break the law while under the influence, they should (and would) be prosecuted appropriately.

After all, as a group we should know that making something illegal does absolutely nothing to stop it from happening.
    Last edited by Rich B; 03-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyB View Post
    Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know.
    Why do you hate freedom?

Edit: But seriously, legalizing drugs, ANY drugs, is of indirect benefit to gun rights.

Follow me here:

Prohibition incentivizes violent behavior (I hope I don't need to spell this out). This leads to our relatively high murder rates, the overwhelming majority of which are perpetrated by gang members on gang members, over drugs, drug money, drug-selling territory, snitching over drugs, or in retaliation for murder committed for one of those reasons. These murder rates fuel the fire of the Brady campaign, both by enabling their rhetoric, and by convincing some Americans to accept their agenda.

Without these murder rates, it would be very easy to point out the statistical rarity of non-gangsters being murdered by guns (even including rampages and massacres).

If we ended prohibition, we'd take the wind out of gun-grabbers sails.

Not to mention that prohibition of drugs has the same inherent problems as the prohibition of guns: it doesn't, can't, ever work; it criminalizes people for nonaggressive acts; and it serves as a perpetual boon to power-grabbing tyrants of every shape and color.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-14-2011 at 02:14 PM.

? So, In addition to the bills decriminalizing possession of marijuana, this "committee" was also scheduled to hear bills that would legalize the medical use of marijuana for people whose doctors said it could help them!!??
    Party at your house!

p.s. Doritos or Cheese Puffs?
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 03-14-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by handyhamlet View Post
    doritos or cheese puffs?
    both!!

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Why do you hate freedom?
    Don't give me that ****.....I fought for freedom. Just noticed your location........Makes since now.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Party at your house!

p.s. Doritos or Cheese Puffs?
    Doritos.......Cheese Puffs suck!!
    Last edited by KennyB; 03-14-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 03-14-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Don't give me that ****.....I fought for freedom.
    You fought abroad something you oppose at home? Odd choice.

Just noticed your location........Makes since now.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-14-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Lots of people smoke pot. More would if it was legal. How much tax revenue could the state bring in if it was legal? Jobs to regulate sales? Etc blah blah. Im guessing thats where they are heading.

I see no issue with evil black rifles, 30-round magazines, or people smoking marijuana, as long as they aren't handling the first 2 while engaging in the third.

Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know. Idiots......
    yea right on i know what ya mean man when I get stoned ...I get too lazy to shoot straight or even shoot at all for that matter ...all i wanna do is eat a twinkie and go to bed but some times there might be a girl left over from the party sleeping in my bed , then thats when i get to use my real weapon cause it's on man don't go to bed with out it
    Last edited by bushwacker; 03-15-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Legalizing pot at just the end user level would be a huge savings for our courts and police. A lot of money is wasted slapping people on the wrist. I believe it to be less dangerous than alcohol.

Marijuana is a Type I drug because it has no medical benefits... right?? Is this why the government has a patent on the benefits of marijuana??

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/...vt_cannabinoid

As far as guns and marijuana not mixing?? Where does that come from?? Should we not allow any pain meds for people with drivers licenses, or should people refrain from driving or using weapons while under the influence?

Saying you 'fought for freedom' while stuck in Reefer Madness is silly.

Prohibition kills, just look at our border and 'hoods'

I know people who are legally blind but shoot safely.

Most people would assume blindness and guns don't mix.

I say it all depends on the person and their level of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    I see no issue with evil black rifles, 30-round magazines, or people smoking marijuana, as long as they aren't handling the first 2 while engaging in the third.
    I was composing something similar than I read this, what a riot! Great minds brotha.

Nothing wrong with legalizing personal use weed and medical use especially. I've seen the benefits of medical use with my father and cancer. Pill form didn't work. Smoking did and he was able to keep down his food.

The way I see it, what right does the government have telling someone what they can do to their own earthly vessel.

Personal freedom above all else on this one. Ain't the governments business. Gateway drug my butt! I don't do the stuff, never have. I just don't believe I have the right or the government for that matter, to infringe on what someone does to their own body.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I support freedom and personal responsibility. That means I support the freedom to take drugs or drink or do whatever you want. As long as you don't step on someone else's rights, the government should have no reason to be involved.

Therefore, I support the push to decriminalize drugs just as much I oppose any attempt to infringe on 2A rights.

I don't see what decriminalizing drugs has to do with firearm ownership. If we truly believe in personal rights and responsibility, then surely we should give people the benefit of the doubt that they will not get drunk or high and hurt someone with their firearm. If they do break the law while under the influence, they should (and would) be prosecuted appropriately.

After all, as a group we should know that making something illegal does absolutely nothing to stop it from happening.
    +1 Rich. Its counter productive IMO for us to support restricting other peoples harmless activity if we want them to respect our right to do as we please in regards to gun ownership & carry. People already smoke pot if they want to, given the fact that many of them do so for years without issue & often the ONLY issue they encounter is its illegality I support its legalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Leverdude View Post
    I support its legalization.
    Or look at at this way:

I don't support bans on things. Bans don't work and cost us an incredible amount of money to try and force.
    Somehow our country learned from this during the prohibition on alcohol but hasn't been able to intelligently apply it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Or look at at this way:

I don't support bans on things. Bans don't work and cost us an incredible amount of money to try and force.
    Somehow our country learned from this during the prohibition on alcohol but hasn't been able to intelligently apply it elsewhere.
    Exactly!

KennyB no doubt assumes that because I am in San Francisco I must be a raging stoner (oxymoron?), but the truth is that, to me, all these issues are one. Once I became familiar with the history of prohibition (of alcohol), it took me about one minute to realize the near-identical similarity to the prohibition of marijuana, and the prohibition of guns (or gun features, or ammo, or carrying, or...)

I think that most gun owners who care enough to do things like post on this site, really ought to see the relationship.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Lots of people smoke pot. More would if it was legal. How much tax revenue could the state bring in if it was legal? Jobs to regulate sales? Etc blah blah. Im guessing thats where they are heading.
    The reality is that pot is far less dangerous a drug than alcohol. People high on pot are not violent or destructive. They don't drive fast or take chances. They don't beat their girlfriends. You get the point.

If there was anything that deserved to be legalized its marijuana. As a libertarian, I think ti should all be legalized. But I realize thats outside of most people's scope.

Don

Legalize marijuana, and the prisons empty, thus freeing up a lot of money that originally was going to be spent on prisons. We'd be able to tap a completely new and original 'reusable materials' market through the marijuana plant - make hemp rope, paper, clothes, oil, drugs that don't F you over, the list goes on and on.

I personally can't think of anything bad that would come around if marijuana was legalized, apart from the paper industry, prison industry, clothing industry, raising a fit because they've held a monopoly on their market niche for so long
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Do you own yourself?

Do you believe that as an extension of that, you have a right to defend yourself? That your person is inviolate? That you may not be enslaved, imprisoned without conviction, or otherwise forced to do things?

If you believe those things, and I think you should, and if you believe you should have a right to own guns for self-defense, I would hope if you're here you think that...

I would like to see you or anyone make an argument against the right to pick the flowers of a plant and then smoke those flowers - your own mouth to smoke with, your own lungs to inhale with, and your own bloodstream to fill with intoxicants.

The only argument I've heard in response to this is something along the lines of, "but you can't think rationally on weed," which is by itself ridiculous and indicative that someone has no experience with it, but even if true, then you must also support the prohibition of alcohol.

Alcohol which was once prohibited but, because everyone made it or drank it anyway, and because prohibition led to violent organized crime...they made legal again.

Violence, ineffectual law...

Just like the drug war.

Besides, the question of intoxication isn't the intoxication, but *what you might do* in that state, right?

Kind of like for gun control advocates, the question is *what you might do* with a gun.

If you believe that the government ought to have sovereignty over your body - over your right to take a drug, then it is not particularly difficult to make a case for why you have no right to own guns. Because after all, that's for the government to decide, right? The way they decide now that no one's allowed to smoke pot.

Dominion over the individual -- that is all the drug war is.

If you support the Drug War, you believe the government has sovereignty over the body and minds of individuals. That is the definition of what prohibition is. And remember, we're not talking about people going on robbery sprees to get money for drugs (itself obviated by legal and therefore cheaper drugs - the same way alcohol-related crime went into decline as Prohibition ended), or people doing dangerous or otherwise rights-infringing things under the influence of drugs: those are and will always be illegal and prosecutable.

We are talking about some guy sitting on his back patio smoking a joint, and how that's somehow the government's business.

It isn't. And if you believe it is, you obviously don't have the same sense of what freedom means that I do.

Maybe you have never smoked pot and never will. Maybe you consider it a frivolous, pointless activity.

Gun control advocates have exactly the same perspective on gun ownership, and rationalize their statism by the question we've all heard so many times: "Why do you NEED a gun?" -- you must prove to them your "need" to exercise a right.

Which is what many drug prohibitionists demand of pot smokers.

As marshaul discussed, these are all manifestations of the same issue.

Who owns you, and what is the extent of the government's sovereignty? That many pro-gun people don't see them as a same issue (and many do not - the same way a hell of a lot of pot smokers don't see what guns have to do with pot legalization), is their failing.

When we get to the point as a society where we insist that government has no dominion over our private lives, but only our actions that impact others, rather than "yes, government, you're mommy and daddy and I bow to your authority...just please let me do this one little thing that is important to me please." -- well, maybe then we'll have a truly free society.

Until that point, we have a government that considers itself omnipotent, and from which we beg for favors and privileges.
    Last edited by crisisweasel; 03-17-2011 at 07:03 PM.

^^^^^^ +1000

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    It's all about self determination.

As long as no one harms me do what ever they want to themselves. I don't smoke pot or do any other drugs, detest smoking of any kind. But who am I to tell someone else what to do or not to do.

Who is the government to use "loopholes" to get around the constitutionality of prohibition costing us "Billions" of dollars and peoples lives. Have encouraged blood in our streets by putting value on things that can be produced for very little.

Shrink shrink shrink the government get out of my life, monetarily and morally.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I met a guy using the stuff medically. He was one of the nicest most polite people I have met. Black, gay, and middle aged ( 50's). He even likes guns. He grew up with legally owned guns around him.

Stoners ( non medical users) I have known in the past were almost all very mild people, and fun to hang out with too. Alcoholics on the other hand- YUCK! I can't stand heavy drinkers. They do stupider things than stoners, hands down! The one who wasn't mild was a HS bully I had a few problems with, he and his pal were just a-holes from the get-go. I stood up to him one day, and he left me alone after that.

So, when was the last time you heard of a terrible car accident where a stoner ( using ONLY pot) rammed his/her vehicle into another and killed a bunch of people? How about the last time you heard of a stoner ( using ONLY pot) who got crazy angry at some social gathering and got his gun and shot some people? How do you tell who the stoner driver is? Easy, they are the one going 10mph LESS than the slow old lady!

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I met a guy using the stuff medically. He was one of the nicest most polite people I have met. Black, gay, and middle aged ( 50's). He even likes guns. He grew up with legally owned guns around him.

Stoners ( non medical users) I have known in the past were almost all very mild people, and fun to hang out with too. Alcoholics on the other hand- YUCK! I can't stand heavy drinkers. They do stupider things than stoners, hands down! The one who wasn't mild was a HS bully I had a few problems with, he and his pal were just a-holes from the get-go. I stood up to him one day, and he left me alone after that.

So, when was the last time you heard of a terrible car accident where a stoner ( using ONLY pot) rammed his/her vehicle into another and killed a bunch of people? How about the last time you heard of a stoner ( using ONLY pot) who got crazy angry at some social gathering and got his gun and shot some people? How do you tell who the stoner driver is? Easy, they are the one going 10mph LESS than the slow old lady!
    I knew a stoner in HS that almost got in one of those crazy accidents. Basically he was approaching a stopsign, but mistook the reflection of the stop sign on the other side of the road for his. Due to this he ran his stop sign, had to slam on the brakes to prevent t-boning a truck with a trailer, and then had to punch the gas to prevent getting t-boned himself due to traffic from the other direction.

I'm all for the legalization of marijuana (and by that token all drugs so long as they are properly regulated in a way that allows consumers to know just what they are getting and the potential effects), but asking for people to find these kinds of stories can be dangerous. What this can do is cause the antis to latch on to those stories (regardless of how rare they are). A better tactic is to instead talk about the statistics of those under the influence of the drug compared to the stats of those either sober or drunk. But asking for stories can backfire.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast