• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawmakers To Discuss Legalizing Marijuana!!

KennyB

Soooo, let me get this straight. They want to legalize pot, but ban any magazine over 10 rds??? Really???? So, In addition to the bills decriminalizing possession of marijuana, this "committee" was also scheduled to hear bills that would legalize the medical use of marijuana for people whose doctors said it could help them!!?? And how would this pertain to a "permit holder". Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know. Idiots......

Rich B

I support freedom and personal responsibility. That means I support the freedom to take drugs or drink or do whatever you want. As long as you don't step on someone else's rights, the government should have no reason to be involved.

Therefore, I support the push to decriminalize drugs just as much I oppose any attempt to infringe on 2A rights.

I don't see what decriminalizing drugs has to do with firearm ownership. If we truly believe in personal rights and responsibility, then surely we should give people the benefit of the doubt that they will not get drunk or high and hurt someone with their firearm. If they do break the law while under the influence, they should (and would) be prosecuted appropriately.

After all, as a group we should know that making something illegal does absolutely nothing to stop it from happening.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know.

Why do you hate freedom?

Edit: But seriously, legalizing drugs, ANY drugs, is of indirect benefit to gun rights.

Follow me here:

Prohibition incentivizes violent behavior (I hope I don't need to spell this out). This leads to our relatively high murder rates, the overwhelming majority of which are perpetrated by gang members on gang members, over drugs, drug money, drug-selling territory, snitching over drugs, or in retaliation for murder committed for one of those reasons. These murder rates fuel the fire of the Brady campaign, both by enabling their rhetoric, and by convincing some Americans to accept their agenda.

Without these murder rates, it would be very easy to point out the statistical rarity of non-gangsters being murdered by guns (even including rampages and massacres).

If we ended prohibition, we'd take the wind out of gun-grabbers sails.

Not to mention that prohibition of drugs has the same inherent problems as the prohibition of guns: it doesn't, can't, ever work; it criminalizes people for nonaggressive acts; and it serves as a perpetual boon to power-grabbing tyrants of every shape and color.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

? So, In addition to the bills decriminalizing possession of marijuana, this "committee" was also scheduled to hear bills that would legalize the medical use of marijuana for people whose doctors said it could help them!!??

Party at your house!

:monkey

p.s. Doritos or Cheese Puffs?

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

costumed-smiley-091.gif

Last edited:

David Roach

Lots of people smoke pot. More would if it was legal. How much tax revenue could the state bring in if it was legal? Jobs to regulate sales? Etc blah blah. Im guessing thats where they are heading.

Hef

I see no issue with evil black rifles, 30-round magazines, or people smoking marijuana, as long as they aren't handling the first 2 while engaging in the third.

bushwacker

Guns and marijuana don't mix to well ya know. Idiots......
yea right on i know what ya mean man when I get stoned ...I get too lazy to shoot straight or even shoot at all for that matter ...all i wanna do is eat a twinkie and go to bed but some times there might be a girl left over from the party sleeping in my bed , then thats when i get to use my real weapon cause it's on man don't go to bed with out it

Last edited:

AGust82

Legalizing pot at just the end user level would be a huge savings for our courts and police. A lot of money is wasted slapping people on the wrist. I believe it to be less dangerous than alcohol.

Spence

Marijuana is a Type I drug because it has no medical benefits... right?? Is this why the government has a patent on the benefits of marijuana??

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2008/jul/23/significance_us_govt_cannabinoid

As far as guns and marijuana not mixing?? Where does that come from?? Should we not allow any pain meds for people with drivers licenses, or should people refrain from driving or using weapons while under the influence?

Saying you 'fought for freedom' while stuck in Reefer Madness is silly.

Prohibition kills, just look at our border and 'hoods'

Rich B

I know people who are legally blind but shoot safely.

Most people would assume blindness and guns don't mix.

I say it all depends on the person and their level of responsibility.

KIX

I see no issue with evil black rifles, 30-round magazines, or people smoking marijuana, as long as they aren't handling the first 2 while engaging in the third.

I was composing something similar than I read this, what a riot! Great minds brotha.

Nothing wrong with legalizing personal use weed and medical use especially. I've seen the benefits of medical use with my father and cancer. Pill form didn't work. Smoking did and he was able to keep down his food.

The way I see it, what right does the government have telling someone what they can do to their own earthly vessel.

Personal freedom above all else on this one. Ain't the governments business. Gateway drug my butt! I don't do the stuff, never have. I just don't believe I have the right or the government for that matter, to infringe on what someone does to their own body.

Jonathan

Leverdude

I support freedom and personal responsibility. That means I support the freedom to take drugs or drink or do whatever you want. As long as you don't step on someone else's rights, the government should have no reason to be involved.

Therefore, I support the push to decriminalize drugs just as much I oppose any attempt to infringe on 2A rights.

I don't see what decriminalizing drugs has to do with firearm ownership. If we truly believe in personal rights and responsibility, then surely we should give people the benefit of the doubt that they will not get drunk or high and hurt someone with their firearm. If they do break the law while under the influence, they should (and would) be prosecuted appropriately.

After all, as a group we should know that making something illegal does absolutely nothing to stop it from happening.

+1 Rich. Its counter productive IMO for us to support restricting other peoples harmless activity if we want them to respect our right to do as we please in regards to gun ownership & carry. People already smoke pot if they want to, given the fact that many of them do so for years without issue & often the ONLY issue they encounter is its illegality I support its legalization.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Or look at at this way:

I don't support bans on things. Bans don't work and cost us an incredible amount of money to try and force.
Somehow our country learned from this during the prohibition on alcohol but hasn't been able to intelligently apply it elsewhere.

Exactly!

KennyB no doubt assumes that because I am in San Francisco I must be a raging stoner (oxymoron?), but the truth is that, to me, all these issues are one. Once I became familiar with the history of prohibition (of alcohol), it took me about one minute to realize the near-identical similarity to the prohibition of marijuana, and the prohibition of guns (or gun features, or ammo, or carrying, or...)

I think that most gun owners who care enough to do things like post on this site, really ought to see the relationship.

Last edited:

dcmdon

Lots of people smoke pot. More would if it was legal. How much tax revenue could the state bring in if it was legal? Jobs to regulate sales? Etc blah blah. Im guessing thats where they are heading.

The reality is that pot is far less dangerous a drug than alcohol. People high on pot are not violent or destructive. They don't drive fast or take chances. They don't beat their girlfriends. You get the point.

If there was anything that deserved to be legalized its marijuana. As a libertarian, I think ti should all be legalized. But I realize thats outside of most people's scope.

Don

elixin77

Legalize marijuana, and the prisons empty, thus freeing up a lot of money that originally was going to be spent on prisons. We'd be able to tap a completely new and original 'reusable materials' market through the marijuana plant - make hemp rope, paper, clothes, oil, drugs that don't F you over, the list goes on and on.

I personally can't think of anything bad that would come around if marijuana was legalized, apart from the paper industry, prison industry, clothing industry, raising a fit because they've held a monopoly on their market niche for so long