• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 234 passes Senate CJ Committee!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
House Criminal Justice Subcommittee tomorrow at 8am for HB 517

Can someone explain this a little better for me?

SB 234 passed the Criminal Justice Committee? Right? Now there is an entirely different bill not connected to SB 234, but it is identicle. That bill is being looked at tomorrow by House Criminal Justice Subcommittee? I guess I just don't understand how it works.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
House + Senate = Congress.

It has to pass through both. Each house has it's own subcommittees and generally mirror each other.

It's just like the Federal version.

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

No one person has such critical control over it after this point. The other committees have 7 and 13 senators each. Unfortunately, I'll getting a bad feeling about most of the Judiciary committee, it looks like it's full of soft neocons across the board. I think that'll be our biggest hurdle, really. Rules committee should be an easy go, and so would house/senate, we just have to get through the JC group... I think we'll be lucky if we squeak by 4-3 there.

Last edited:

skk123

Thank god for smartphones or I wouldn't have been able to catch this live.

I do have a question, though. When the guy from the retail federation was speaking Sen Evers had told him that there was a provision that allowed a sign to be posted to not allow firearms in a specific location (my phone cut out during his answer). It was my understanding that a sign prohibiting firearms at any place not prohibited under statute, holds no legal weight in the state of fl. I see nothing in this bill that states otherwise, can someone clarify?

I also liked how Evers laid into that sheriff speaker, basically saying we gave you what you wanted and you still said no.

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Who knows much about the committee system?
I know a bill has to pass all three committees to get into the full senate floor, but does each committee do basically the same thing, or do they serve specific different fuctions and tests on each bill?
What I mean to ask is, will Judiciary and Rules be assessing and voting on 234 in the same way as Criminal Justice - i.e. Will they be assessing if it's good for the general public and deserves a senate vote, or will they be voting on whether it lines up with present 'judicial' codes/standards and follows the 'rules' neccessary for a valid piece of legislation?
I can foresee that people will mainly be voting on whether they are pro- or anti-gun regardless, but is the intention of the other committees to investigate other aspects or the bill, or just extra chances to amend or shoot down legislation they don't like for the same reasons as the first committee?

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I know a bill has to pass all three committees to get into the full senate floor, but does each committee do basically the same thing, or do they serve specific different fuctions and tests on each bill?
What I mean to ask is, will Judiciary and Rules be assessing and voting on 234 in the same way as Criminal Justice - i.e. Will they be assessing if it's good for the general publicc and deserves a senate vote, or will they be voting on whether it lines up with present 'judicial' codes/standards and 'follows the 'rules' for neccessary for a valid piece of legislation?
I can see that people will mainly be voting on whether they are pro- or anti-gun, but is the intention of the other committees to investigate other aspects or the bill, or just extra chances to amend or shoot down legislation they don't like for the same reasons as the first committee?

The committees are setup to assess issues as they relate to the subject mater of the committee. That's not where they necessarily stop. This will break on pro v. anti lines.

nigmalg

[crosses fingers, toes, and other things that need not be mentioned in public]

The Senate is going to be much closer than the House for sure. But the Judiciary and Rules committees should be much smoother. According to the NRA ratings, the bill should make it out of both.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What I mean to ask is, will Judiciary and Rules be assessing and voting on 234 in the same way as Criminal Justice - i.e. Will they be assessing if it's good for the general public and deserves a senate vote, or will they be voting on whether it lines up with present 'judicial' codes/standards and follows the 'rules' neccessary for a valid piece of legislation?

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work, but it doesn't. Politicians never do their job. They are nothing more than preemptive feeling and opinion enforcement.

The committees serve as nothing more than a way for a small minority of people to prevent a bill from ever getting a vote on the floor.

77zach

Thank god for smartphones or I wouldn't have been able to catch this live.

I do have a question, though. When the guy from the retail federation was speaking Sen Evers had told him that there was a provision that allowed a sign to be posted to not allow firearms in a specific location (my phone cut out during his answer). It was my understanding that a sign prohibiting firearms at any place not prohibited under statute, holds no legal weight in the state of fl. I see nothing in this bill that states otherwise, can someone clarify?

I also liked how Evers laid into that sheriff speaker, basically saying we gave you what you wanted and you still said no.

Good point and question. I don't know why Evers said that, I really hope they don't put any crap like that in there. It appeared to me that Evers froze up a little when confronted with opposition. I don't blame him, as I'm always enraged and flummoxed when I see someone fighting to uphold a tyranny. The state has NO ROLE whatsoever unless a private property owner asks someone to leave and they refuse. Very simple.

~*'Phoenix'*~

The Senate is going to be much closer than the House for sure. But the Judiciary and Rules committees should be much smoother. According to the NRA ratings, the bill should make it out of both.

nigmalg, where do you get NRA ratings for our reps/senators? I dig all over the NRA site and found nothing, nor on yahoo searches. I guess you have to be a member?

nigmalg

77zach

Note that Thrasher received an "A+". He now needs an F-. NRA grades can't really be trusted, they are a rough guide. Only Gun Owners of America gives grades that you can take to the bank, but I think they only give grades at the national level.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Ok, I'm feeling a little better about the other committees now after some research. Rules should easily be 7-6, probably 8-5, Judiciary will probably roll 5-2.

Last edited:

77zach

Ok, I'm feeling a little better about the other committees now after some research. Rules should easily be 7-6, probably 8-5, Judiciary will probably roll 5-2.

I'd be very cautious. Again, the NRA gave Harry Reid an A. They endorsed Bush, who said if it were up to him would reinstate the "assault weapons ban." They gave Thrasher an A+.